Best Space / Interstellar / Galactic flick?

Aliens & Predators, Prometheus

Last edited:
What was the name of the series in the late 60s (I think) with the marionettes?

British, I believe. There was a space series and a ocean series.

Fun. The show was briefly featured in season 6 of Endeavour (young Inspector Morse).

Thunderbirds! Great show.

Stargate SG1 included a humorous tribute to Gerry Anderson’s Thunderbirds marionette series in their 200th episode:

It took me a long time to learn that the Ancient Greeks already knew that the earth was round rather than flat.

Still in grammar school... Fairlawn Theater, feature film, along with Tarzan of the Apes... chapter picture... $.35 admission on Saturday...

Destination Moon :)

How could I forget Mystery Science Theater 3000?

If you've never seen this show, it featured bad B-grade Sci-Fi and horror movies with a running satirical commentary by three characters that were watching the movies. It was on cable on Comedy Central and Sci Fi Network from 1990-1999. (The first season was on a small UHF station in Minneapolis in 1989.)

The characters are being forced to watch bad movies as an experiment to see how much terrible cinema they can endure. The three characters are a human and the two robots the human built for companionship.

The series was rebooted in 2017 on Netflix.

The commentary and jokes being thrown at the screen come pretty fast. At first you might have trouble watching both the movie and following the commentary but eventually you will get in sync and be able to multitask it. The ensuing reward in humor is well worth it.

Here is one of my favorites. Since it's about a Space Mutiny it's fitting to this thread.

If you want to skip the intro and jump right into the movie, start at the 7:25 mark on the YouTube timestamp.

Another good starting point would be to watch the theatrical release MST3K made of "This Island Earth".

Last edited:
Red Dwarf (series). Great entertainment.

Cheers!

It took me a long time to learn that the Ancient Greeks already knew that the earth was round rather than flat.

And proposed that the sun was at the centre of the solar system and got the correct order of distance from the sun for the known planets (Aristarchus c.280 BC), that the stars were other distance suns (Anaxagoras c.480 BC) and calculated the circumference of the Earth with a high degree of accuracy (dramatically better than what Columbus and contemporaries thought) (Eratoshenes c.240 BC). They were called the 'Dark Ages' for a reason!

If you like giant space monsters, you'll love the Japanese show "Ultraman"

Ah yes, the classics.

...Plan 9 From Outer Space...

I love campy shows, so I heartily recommend this Ed Wood masterpiece. Just like I recommend the sitcom "My Favorite Martian" with Ray Walston and Bill Bixby. Schlocky fun.

For that matter, I also enjoyed the original "Lost in Space" although that might have more to do with being about the same age as Will Robinson.

What was the name of the series in the late 60s (I think) with the marionettes?

British, I believe. There was a space series and a ocean series.

I remember a space marionette show called "Fireball XL-5". I liked it, but then I was a kid who also got into Jonny Quest.

Here's where I'm going to insert controversy. Regarding "The Phantom Menace"... yeah, I know the plot was contrived, the dialogue was awkward, the pod race developed nothing, and everybody hated Jar Jar Binks. But the movie had one outstanding feature. The lightsaber battle with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn vs Darth Maul remains one of the best swordfights in the history of cinema. It's as good as Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone, even Tyrone Power, at their fencing best.

Thunderbirds! Great show.
+1. "F A B"!

I was watching an episode with my 4YO grandson the other day, I was surprised to see that many of the marionettes were smoking cigarettes at various times (smoke rising from the burning cigarette) . It was probably Gerry Anderson's way of showing off something his technique would allow that was almost impossible to do with stop-motion animation.

How could I forget Mystery Science Theater 3000?

If you've never seen this show, it featured bad B-grade Sci-Fi and horror movies with a running satirical commentary by three characters that were watching the movies. It was on cable on Comedy Central and Sci Fi Network from 1990-1999. (The first season was on a small UHF station in Minneapolis in 1989.)

The characters are being forced to watch bad movies as an experiment to see how much terrible cinema they can endure. The three characters are a human and the two robots the human built for companionship.

The series was rebooted in 2017 on Netflix.

The commentary and jokes being thrown at the screen come pretty fast. At first you might have trouble watching both the movie and following the commentary but eventually you will get in sync and be able to multitask it. The ensuing reward in humor is well worth it.

Here is one of my favorites. Since it's about a Space Mutiny it's fitting to this thread.

If you want to skip the intro and jump right into the movie, start at the 7:25 mark on the YouTube timestamp.

Another good starting point would be to watch the theatrical release MST3K made of "This Island Earth".

I purposefully left this off my first initial posts list thinking for sure someone would put it on theres quickly. It took a while! Watched MST3K at least half a dozen times

Interstellar
Contact
Star Trek IV (the whales!)
Prometheus
Both versions of The Day The Earth Stood Still
Firefly / Serenity
FarScape

I'm better with the books though... Didn't think any of the Dune movies did the book justice. I've heard rumors of Zelazny's "Princes of Amber" series becoming a movie - would love to see that!

Many of my favs have been mentioned already, save for one specific set of TV episodes and two other British classics:

Dr. Who, specifically the episodes with Jon Pertwee (Dr. #3) and Tom Baker (Dr. #4). Don't care for the new rebooted series, not so much the actors as I haven't liked most of the scripts very much, save for the amazingly complex timeline of River Song (actress Alex Kingston) through Matt Smith's (Dr. #11) and Peter Capaldi's (Dr. #12) episodes.

Blake's 7, BBC: 1978-1981. Created by Terry Nation, who invented Dr. Who's most famed enemy, the Daleks. He pitched Blake's 7 to the BBC as "the Dirty Dozen in space.)" It is dystopian and pessimistic, the opposite of Star Trek's sunny inclusiveness. Blake's 7's Federation is a repressive, totalitarian regime that pursues alien genocide and sets up institutional slavery by "reprocessing" those it considers traitors.

It made Paul Darrow famous as its anti-hero Avon, who sparred endlessly with idealistic freedom fighter Blake as played by Gareth Thomas. It had absolutely no budget for special effects. Its fans delight in the total cheesiness of wires holding up the model spaceships, a lighting tech's leg poking out from the cardboard console, and of course, the several times when the heroes' spaceship shows up on the opposition's viewscreen....upside down!

Blake's 7 also had THE most stylish and fashionable villainness of all - Servalan, played by Jacqueline Pearce. Sequins, feathers, capes, designer hats and gowns worn with three-inch high heels; she is the ultimate Black Widow in search of galactic power!

Last but not least:
Sapphire and Steel. It is a supernatural sci-fi/fantasy series starring David McCallum as Steel and Joanna Lumley as Sapphire. It ran from 1979 to 1982 on the ITV network. In the series, it is explained that Time is like a progressing corridor that surrounds everything, but there are weak spots where Time – implied to be a malignant force – can break into the present to stop the natural flow. This pair of interdimensional operatives assume human form to guard the continuing flow of Time. Ironically, the ubiquitous British low budget for special effects adds to the eerie horror feeling in the episodes.

Sooo, for those of us who don't believe in a flat earth...

What are your favorite space / galactic / interstellar movies/ shows / mini-series / flicks?

I know there are a lot, starting with original Star Wars, Star Trek, ST Enterprise, Mars. Apollo 13, A Space Odyssey, Alien, Avatar, Space Balls, Guardian of Galaxy etc.

I figure with all the 'Buzz' about the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing I might phone a friend and ask my favorite forum...

Which was/is your favorite and why? :cool:

Fun fact, I know an actress from the flick Farscape.

Babylon 5 was the best series. The Marvel Avenger movies are my favorites. The Past Through Tomorrow, and Kathy's Recollections are my favorites books.

Second vote for 'The Expanse' So glad Amazon saved the series, watched the first few seasons on SYFY then it got cancelled and now picked up by Amazon for the next season to start in 12/19.
Loved Babylon 5 too!

Second vote for 'The Expanse' So glad Amazon saved the series, watched the first few seasons on SYFY then it got cancelled and now picked up by Amazon for the next season to start in 12/19.
Loved Babylon 5 too!

The Expanse has been quite good so far, I'm looking forward to the next season. I liked Altered Carbon as well. Neither is perfect, but both are pretty great for TV SF shows.

Destination Moon. Early 1950's.
At the Fairlawn Theatre... when the price had gone up to $.35. Probably watched it at the same time as jeanie, though at the time we were about 14. She went to the Saturday matinees with her girlfriends... They all sat on the left hand side of the right aisle, two rows back, and we... (our gang) sat in the center section right side two rows back. Everybody knew everybody, even though we we from different schools.

We weren't GF/BF then but good pals in Jr. High School. Wasn't 'til senior year in highschool when we first dated... just in time to take her to the Senior Prom.

Let's see... what was the subject?:blush:

Last edited:
The Questor Tapes. A Gene Roddenberry movie from 1974. Perhaps the best sci fi movie ever made. fAvailable from e-bay or Amazon on disc.

• Another Life
  • The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The rest of these have all been mentioned already, I think:
  • The Expanse
  • The Fifth Element
  • Orville
  • Close Encounters
  • Interstellar
  • The Martian
  • Blade Runner, BR 2049
  • Red Dwarf
  • Blakes Seven
  • Firefly
  • BSG reboot
  • Silent Running
  • Alien
  • Aliens
  • Altered Carbon
  • Star Trek TNG
  • Star Wars
  • District 9
  • Mars
  • Dark Matter

I'm late to this thread, but a movie Dh & I really like that I haven't seen mentioned is Mission to Mars. It has Don Cheadle, Gary Sinise, Tim Robbins, and Jerry O'Connell.

Many of my favs have been mentioned already, save for one specific set of TV episodes and two other British classics:

Dr. Who, specifically the episodes with Jon Pertwee (Dr. #3) and Tom Baker (Dr. #4). Don't care for the new rebooted series, not so much the actors as I haven't liked most of the scripts very much, save for the amazingly complex timeline of River Song (actress Alex Kingston) through Matt Smith's (Dr. #11) and Peter Capaldi's (Dr. #12) episodes.

Blake's 7, BBC: 1978-1981. Created by Terry Nation, who invented Dr. Who's most famed enemy, the Daleks. He pitched Blake's 7 to the BBC as "the Dirty Dozen in space.)" It is dystopian and pessimistic, the opposite of Star Trek's sunny inclusiveness. Blake's 7's Federation is a repressive, totalitarian regime that pursues alien genocide and sets up institutional slavery by "reprocessing" those it considers traitors.

It made Paul Darrow famous as its anti-hero Avon, who sparred endlessly with idealistic freedom fighter Blake as played by Gareth Thomas. It had absolutely no budget for special effects. Its fans delight in the total cheesiness of wires holding up the model spaceships, a lighting tech's leg poking out from the cardboard console, and of course, the several times when the heroes' spaceship shows up on the opposition's viewscreen....upside down!

Blake's 7 also had THE most stylish and fashionable villainness of all - Servalan, played by Jacqueline Pearce. Sequins, feathers, capes, designer hats and gowns worn with three-inch high heels; she is the ultimate Black Widow in search of galactic power!

Last but not least:
Sapphire and Steel. It is a supernatural sci-fi/fantasy series starring David McCallum as Steel and Joanna Lumley as Sapphire. It ran from 1979 to 1982 on the ITV network. In the series, it is explained that Time is like a progressing corridor that surrounds everything, but there are weak spots where Time – implied to be a malignant force – can break into the present to stop the natural flow. This pair of interdimensional operatives assume human form to guard the continuing flow of Time. Ironically, the ubiquitous British low budget for special effects adds to the eerie horror feeling in the episodes.

Cool! Something old/new for me to search out. I've been watching Doctor Who from about '72 on, and while I do like the reboot I prefer the cheesy old versions. And I loved Blake's 7 (and also Red Dwarf). But I've never seen Sapphire and Steel. It's available on Amazon Prime, so I'm going to watch episode one right now! Thanks.

Going through this list now since I am 100% remote for a while, Starting from the top!
Thanks for all the input, super valuable.

• Another Life

• The Expanse
  • The Fifth Element
  • Orville
  • Close Encounters
  • Interstellar
  • The Martian
  • Blade Runner, BR 2049
  • Red Dwarf
  • Blakes Seven
  • Firefly
  • BSG reboot
  • Silent Running
  • Alien
  • Aliens
  • Altered Carbon
  • Star Trek TNG
  • Star Wars
  • District 9
  • Mars
  • Dark Matter
District 9. I liked that one!

• Another Life

• The Expanse
  • The Fifth Element
  • Orville
  • Close Encounters
  • Interstellar
  • The Martian
  • Blade Runner, BR 2049
  • Red Dwarf
  • Blakes Seven
  • Firefly
  • BSG reboot
  • Silent Running
  • Alien
  • Aliens
  • Altered Carbon
  • Star Trek TNG
  • Star Wars
  • District 9
  • Mars
  • Dark Matter

ET not on the list? :)

I enjoyed watching a movie called Night Skies.

Back
Top Bottom