Best Space / Interstellar / Galactic flick?

Gravity, as a purely space movie/drama, the Martian was very watchable too.

Firefly and the new BSG as space series for TV.

Firefly

Alien

Aliens

I also enjoyed Apollo 18, for a different take on the "found footage" film.

I'm a sci-fi fan who finds most movie/TV stuff in the genre to be eye-rollingly bad. So I've been pleasantly surprised by "The Expanse" on Amazon Prime. Some of it brings to mind some of the cheesier moments from Total Recall, but in the first few episodes the blatant insults to credibility were surprisingly few. Tentative thumbs up.

Gattaca.

Human with 'inferior' genes dreams of space travel.

Ethan Hawke/Uma Thurman/Jude Law

You might also find some episodes of "The Twilight Zone" interesting, such as the woman chasing "vermin" out of her attic ;-)

Gattaca.

Human with 'inferior' genes dreams of space travel.

Ethan Hawke/Uma Thurman/Jude Law

It has been a while since I last watched it, but I don't recall a scene with any space travel in it at all. I know they _talk_ a lot about space travel, but no actual space.

The "Best'? 2001, hands down.

Two of my older favorites:
Silent Running
The Right Stuff

The original Dune was pretty great too - quite the cast!

Sorry, one more: AI - really long, but well worth the slog. Verrry deep, but not so galactic.

Damn! I forgot about Dark Star - a total classic!

And what, no love for [the original] Total Recall!? Or Outland, with Sean Connery ;-) Great popcorn movies.

Last edited:
Maybe they don't exactly qualify as space movies, but they are sci-fi - and they are two of my all-time favorite movies, regardless of category.

Blade Runner
Blade Runner 2049

Some favorites:
The Martian
Apollo 13
Gravity
Galaxy Quest
Aliens
Guardians of the Galaxy
Babylon 5
Firefly

Also good:
Salyut 7 (it changes the events to make it more dramatic, but it is good)
The Orville

Many of the ones listed above, especially Firefly/Serenity, Galaxy Quest, original Star Wars, Aliens. Very entertaining.

However, I also appreciate the true classics:

Barbarella
Brother from Another Planet
They Live
Flash Gordon

And on TV, Lexx and Farscape.

I used to work for a Chinese woman named Ming. She didn't understand why I named her Unix workstation Merciless, back in the day when computers had names.

I like essentially all movies and series mentioned so far. The series that I really enjoyed was Babylon 5. The show kept unfolding unique details to keep it interesting.

Humans having the souls of the Mimbari, The Centari , The Narn, the Vorlons, the Shadows, the development of the rangers and the biotechnology.

I did get tired of the human fighters launched from the station though. They seemed way to wussy not to have improved very much over the series. True they had the ships the rangers had called the white stars.

I have to go with Firefly, Babylon 5, Farscape, and Star Trek Next Gen.

However, I also appreciate the true classics:

Barbarella
Brother from Another Planet
They Live
Flash Gordon

Ah yes, the classics.

Brain from Planet Arous
Female Space Invaders (or anything with Caroline Munro)
It Came From Outer Space
Plan 9 From Outer Space
War of the Worlds
When Worlds Collide

and so many more.

Last edited:
Many good ones above.
Not mentioned (or I missed)

The Matrix
Inception
Serenity
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Andromeda Strain
Jurassic Park
THX1138
Promethius
Edge of Tomorrow
District 9
Fantastic Voyage
Outland
Logan's Run
War of the Worlds (1953)
Predator
Minority Report
Close Encounters
Marooned

More current is Dark Matter.
Yea I am a fan of everything listed above.
If I had to pick a #1, the original star wars, its the first movie I remember going to.

One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Solaris, released in 2002. Better than 99% of the big sci-fi blockbusters of recent years. Highly recommended.

82_midi.jpg

I don't think anybody has mentioned The Fifth Element. I watch that every time I see it come on.

Last edited:
I remember that The Fifth Element was always the go to movie when demonstrating home theatres in stores back in the day for some reason.

What was the name of the series in the late 60s (I think) with the marionettes?

British, I believe. There was a space series and a ocean series.

Fun. The show was briefly featured in season 6 of Endeavour (young Inspector Morse).

Back
Top Bottom