Blu Ray or Screw Ray?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm slow to adopt to new technology. The way I figure, if old tech is working and meets my needs, then why change. Thus, I've pretty much avoided Blu Ray and have stuck to DVDs.

I have an OTA DVR/DVD combo. One nice feature is when I record a program I can fairly easily dub to DVD as backup. This works great except when the program over an hour long as then video quality suffers. I recorded a 3 hr program (award show) but dubbed DVD quality was terrible. I cut down to 2 hrs and now dubbed quality is barely acceptable.

So, I did some thinking. First the thought of using a double layer DVD (9.4GB instead of the regular 4.7 GB of space). But the DVR/DVD combo doesn't recognize a double layer DVD.

Then I thought, what about Blu Ray? A Blu Ray disc should have plenty of space to make a quality backup. Only to find out, there really aren't any Blu Ray recorders in the USA. Long story short, companies must assume we are all crooks trying to pirate stuff so do not make Blu Ray recorders. :facepalm:. If that isn't screwing the consumers, I don't know what is.

Another alternative I guess is to use some video capture device to capture as a file to a hard drive. But I've used one before and the files get really big and not as convenient like just recording to a single disc as a backup.

I'm thinking now, either to settle for a barely acceptable 2 hr DVD using to DVR/DVD combo I have. Or use a separate DVD recorder (I have one around) to record into two good discs in higher quality.

No wonder people don't make archives of what they record on their DVR :mad:.

There are many TV capture cards available for the PC, I like the Hauppauge TV Tuners. Once you have your show in digital form, you could easily convert it to whatever format you wish (using Handbrake, VideoRedo, etc.) and burn it to a Blu-Ray disc.

However, these days I would skip the optical disc entirely and save the file to your hard drive. Then use a network media streamer, or copy the files to a USB flash drive and use a media player to watch your recorded shows on your TV.

Another option is to use something like Emby or Plex to stream your recordings anywhere with a Roku and your TV.

There are many TV capture cards available for the PC, I like the Hauppauge TV Tuners. Once you have your show in digital form, you could easily convert it to whatever format you wish (using Handbrake, VideoRedo, etc.) and burn it to a Blu-Ray disc.

However, these days I would skip the optical disc entirely and save the file to your hard drive. Then use a network media streamer, or copy the files to a USB flash drive and use a media player to watch your recorded shows on your TV.

Another option is to use something like Emby or Plex to stream your recordings anywhere with a Roku and your TV.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look this over a bit to think about my choices. I've used Handbrake in the past, so am somewhat familiar with that.

I do kinda of miss the good old days where recording TV programs was by rabbit ears and VCR. Simpler times :popcorn:.

Burning things to a disk is way old school. Just use MakeMKV to make the DVD/BluRay into a file and Handbrake to shrink it down. Play the file on a computer to a TV/stereo.

Last edited:
I stopped buying tapes, disk, etc. years ago when I noticed that there was not upgrade deal for owners of tape to the new disks. Now, I get my media by streaming, recording OTA broadcasts, and from the public library.

I stopped buying tapes, disk, etc. years ago when I noticed that there was not upgrade deal for owners of tape to the new disks. Now, I get my media by streaming, recording OTA broadcasts, and from the public library.

But do you have anything worth keeping of the OTA broadcasts which you recorded?

I have game 6 and 7 of the 2016 World Series. Taking up space on the DVR. But I don't want to delete. Thus comes the thought of how to archive but have the backup of decent quality. Some good suggestions have been offered since burning to DVD (unless I want to separate to several DVDs) isn't the answer as the low quality for something a few hours (like a ballgame) is pretty much unwatchable using my DVR/DVD combo machine.

But do you have anything worth keeping of the OTA broadcasts which you recorded?

Not really, except for some kids programs for the Grands.

There is so much high quality new stuff on streaming and OTA, that I can barely keep up with that. There is more to life than watching TV, no matter how good the shows might be. I still have a few DVD's that I bought and keep. I just don't buy any new DVD's. Maybe I should have made that clearer.

I have no problem brutally clearing up old stuff to make way for new stuff on my DVR devices. I find that hanging on to to much old stuff (physical and electronic) gets in the way living one's life, both today and tomorrow.

Not really, except for some kids programs for the Grands.

There is so much high quality new stuff on streaming and OTA, that I can barely keep up with that. There is more to life than watching TV, no matter how good the shows might be. I still have a few DVD's that I bought and keep. I just don't buy any new DVD's. Maybe I should have made that clearer.

I have no problem brutally clearing up old stuff to make way for new stuff on my DVR devices. I find that hanging on to to much old stuff (physical and electronic) gets in the way living one's life, both today and tomorrow.

Wish I could have the self-discipline like you to brutally clearing up old stuff. Can't get myself to that as the hoarding habit kicks in. I have some old ball games of different sports archived (from old VHS to DVD). Probably should part with as all the players have long since retired but can't get around to clearing up.

At least about 97% of the stuff I record over OTA TV is just temporary and deleted. But over time, the 3% of stuff saved each year can grow to a larger percentage of DVR drive space. Not to mention should the DVR drive crash.

I haven't bought a DVD, Blu-Ray, or CD in over a decade. It's been longer than that since I last burned something to disk. All our old DVDs and CDs are boxed up somewhere. The whole concept of owning or retaining media is just sort-of obsolete in my mind. We don't own a DVR and can't get OTA. So it's strictly streaming and cloud DVRs.

If you really wanted to watch some old ball game, there's a very high probability it's on YouTube. I prefer new content and have no time and no desire to watch anything more than once. I subscribe to about 40-50 YouTube channels and just keeping up with the new content has become a chore. I need to unsubscribe from a few.

Similar story with music... it's mostly Pandora these days. I've also found that I listen less to music and more to podcasts.

+1 we have a nice upscale Blue-Ray player in the cabinet under the TV that probably hasn't been use at all in the last decade... all streaming... we also have a bunch of DVDs, many unopened having been received as gifts.

I buy a Blu-ray disk here and there. I like to collect old classic movies plus I take a few with me to my condo on the coast as I do not have internet there. No doubt tho....physical media is on the back stretch of its life span.

I ended up ordering an Elgato video capture device just a short time ago. Hopefully, this can pretty easily make an archive of stuff on dvr to decent quality.

To to continued if I also want a blu ray recorder or not. I want a recorder for data storage (old habits die hard) but as for a player for viewing on TV, that'll be one more device to hook up.

My TV is too old and can't view off of a media file on USB.

I used to really be into taping things. A few years later I looked at a bunch of VHS tapes next to my TV and wondered what they were. Found that I never watched them again and threw them out.

In Japan, they sell integrated satellite TV tuners (for their pay TV) and not only DVD but Blu-Ray recorders. There were also DVR recorders with drives to record to discs.

At least that was the case 10-20 years ago.

For some reason, Hollywood is more liberal about allowing recording of their content over there compared to the US.

But yeah, now I'm more interested in having files on a hard drive and playing them through Plex, loading them on my iPad for trips, streaming from different places in the house.

After processing the pros/cons of Blu-Ray or not Blu-Ray, I think what works best for me is the copy the files to a USB drive and use a media player set up for the TV. Most practical as for function and cost for me. Next is to search for a nice, reliable media player among the many out there to choose from.

I used to really be into taping things. A few years later I looked at a bunch of VHS tapes next to my TV and wondered what they were. Found that I never watched them again and threw them out.

My father and his friends would record everything of interest on TV, including movies previously only seen in theaters and various specials such as "A Wayne Newton Christmas". They never watched any of it. As far as I can tell it was just bragging rights based upon who had the most linear feet of recorded tape.

After processing the pros/cons of Blu-Ray or not Blu-Ray, I think what works best for me is the copy the files to a USB drive and use a media player set up for the TV. Most practical as for function and cost for me. Next is to search for a nice, reliable media player among the many out there to choose from.

Playing from a USB drive certainly works. I've used the Micca Mplay-HD with good results:

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-MPLAY-HD-Mini-Full-HD-Digital/dp/B074DKYT74/ref=sr_1_4

However, this puts you back in the situation where you have to move the USB drive back and forth, and take the time to copy files (can be slow with USB drives). It's OK for a movie collection that won't change that often, but I wouldn't want to do it with TV shows that change daily.

I use an old TVIX Network Media Player that lets me stream shows to my living room TV directly from my computer hard drive. Unfortunately, these types of players are getting harder to find (not counting numerous Android boxes on the market).

Another solution is to pick up a Roku and install the Emby app on it. Then install the Emby server application on your computer. You'll be able to stream your shows directly from your hard drive and watch them on your TV. You can even watch your shows from another city.

Playing from a USB drive certainly works. I've used the Micca Mplay-HD with good results:

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-MPLAY-HD-Mini-Full-HD-Digital/dp/B074DKYT74/ref=sr_1_4

However, this puts you back in the situation where you have to move the USB drive back and forth, and take the time to copy files (can be slow with USB drives). It's OK for a movie collection that won't change that often, but I wouldn't want to do it with TV shows that change daily.

I use an old TVIX Network Media Player that lets me stream shows to my living room TV directly from my computer hard drive. Unfortunately, these types of players are getting harder to find (not counting numerous Android boxes on the market).

Another solution is to pick up a Roku and install the Emby app on it. Then install the Emby server application on your computer. You'll be able to stream your shows directly from your hard drive and watch them on your TV. You can even watch your shows from another city.

The Micca that you mentioned is the the player I saw of someone on youtube demonstrating it and made me see the light I really need something like that instead of going the blu ray route.

I see myself using a player for things that don't change often (like old digitized VHS videos or specials on TV I've recorded). For daily or weekly shows, I usually, just record, watch then delete to free up DVR space.

My watching need isn't immediate enough to having streamed programs so I can watch on any device. But I do like the idea of watching relaxed on a lazy boy over hunched over watching a computer screen.

The Micca that you mentioned is the the player I saw of someone on youtube demonstrating it and made me see the light I really need something like that instead of going the blu ray route.

My only gripe with the Micca players is the IR sensor for the remote is very finicky. You have to point the remote directly at the player for it to pick up the key presses. Get off to the side just a bit and the player won't receive the remote signal. Otherwise, it's a nice media player (and very tiny, maybe 3"x3"x1/2").

I do like the idea of watching relaxed on a lazy boy over hunched over watching a computer screen.

That's why I download YouTube videos to my hard drive (4K Video Downloader). It's much more enjoyable watching videos on the couch in the living room than sitting at desk in the office.

My only gripe with the Micca players is the IR sensor for the remote is very finicky. You have to point the remote directly at the player for it to pick up the key presses. Get off to the side just a bit and the player won't receive the remote signal. Otherwise, it's a nice media player (and very tiny, maybe 3"x3"x1/2").

That's why I download YouTube videos to my hard drive (4K Video Downloader). It's much more enjoyable watching videos on the couch in the living room than sitting at desk in the office.

The remote is one concern. If I get the Micca, I may have to put an old learning remote to good use to copy the IR codes.

Good tip about downloading YouTube videos.

The wheels are turning in my brain :cool:.

I tried a media player, WD Play, but found that it was picky about what files it will play and not fast enough for me. Ended up dedicating a desktop PC to the task of media center. Added a wireless mouse/keyboard to it. Now I can do Internet or play any file I want in the living room.

I tried a media player, WD Play, but found that it was picky about what files it will play and not fast enough for me.

They can be picky. I know my older TVIX media player can't play the newer h.265 video formats.

I just convert everything to h.264 video with AAC audio in an MKV or MP4 file format. So far this format seems to work with just about every player I've tried (TVIX, Micca players, Plex, Emby, etc.).

I ended up buying the micca player and just set that up for the maiden voyage. I'm quite pleased. The remote seems responsive enough for me. I tested too to see if the player kept track of where I was on the video after turning off and back on. The micca handled that fine :dance:.

Here's a picture of my setup (I know, not the most pretty), with the micca on the left corner and my FireTV on the right.

I now have a manual 3 HDMI switch. For 1) TV/DVR/DVD, 2) FireTV and 3) micca player.

Attachments

• micca media player.JPG
    micca media player.JPG
    527.4 KB · Views: 19
I ended up buying the micca player and just set that up for the maiden voyage. I'm quite pleased. The remote seems responsive enough for me. I tested too to see if the player kept track of where I was on the video after turning off and back on. The micca handled that fine :dance:.

Here's a picture of my setup (I know, not the most pretty), with the micca on the left corner and my FireTV on the right.

I now have a manual 3 HDMI switch. For 1) TV/DVR/DVD, 2) FireTV and 3) micca player.

Wow, that was fast. :) I bought the MplayHD for my mom and I do think the IR sensor is better than the earlier generation Micca Speck that I have. I didn't get a chance to try it out much before I set it up at her house. She doesn't keep the player set in any particular direction and is not very good about aiming the remote. The Micca players don't do so well with IR bouncing off walls. :) As long as you point the remote somewhere in the vicinity it should work fine.

I used my Micca player a lot when we had a TV in our bedroom. We gave the TV to my mother-in-law and my mom couldn't figure out her player, so both of my Micca players are in a storage box.

Does your TV have more than one HDMI input on it? If so you might be able to switch sources with the TV remote and do away with the manual HDMI switch.

I think you'll like the Micca player better than VHS tapes. :)

Wow, that was fast. :) I bought the MplayHD for my mom and I do think the IR sensor is better than the earlier generation Micca Speck that I have. I didn't get a chance to try it out much before I set it up at her house. She doesn't keep the player set in any particular direction and is not very good about aiming the remote. The Micca players don't do so well with IR bouncing off walls. :) As long as you point the remote somewhere in the vicinity it should work fine.

I used my Micca player a lot when we had a TV in our bedroom. We gave the TV to my mother-in-law and my mom couldn't figure out her player, so both of my Micca players are in a storage box.

Does your TV have more than one HDMI input on it? If so you might be able to switch sources with the TV remote and do away with the manual HDMI switch.

I think you'll like the Micca player better than VHS tapes. :)

Yeah, I decided to just go with the Micca as rather than the time consuming task of reading and analyzing the so many reviews of players out there.

About the remote, as I think about that, I'm not seated that far away from the Micca. So, if I did sit farther back, there might be remote signal issues too. But so far, so good.

Thanks for tip. Just checked and my tv does have three HDMI inputs and I removed the manual switch. A why didn't I think of that moment . It never dawned on me to use the three HDMI inputs and instead drilled on the tv cabinet to mount the physical switch :LOL:.

At least I really don't care about wood on the old cabinet. Plus, I'll do Amazon return at Kohls to get about $20 back from the switch and extra cable which I no longer need.

Last edited:
Been using the Micca media player I just got. Overall, I really like the player except for one (a pretty big one) thing. The picture I notice is darker than usual. This is more apparent on lower quality videos, but noticeable all around. I've had to adjust the brightness of the TV display just to be comfortable watching media with the Micca. There is no brightness setting with the Micca software.

Back
Top Bottom