Desktop monitor

I've determined my older monitor, a Dell P2214H (22" 1080p), can be connected to the video card that was installed in the new Windows 10 PC via DisplayPort. Since I can't decide on what to get, that will be my short-term solution until I make a decision on a new monitor. I need to get my new Windows 10 PC booted up and configured so I can take my Windows 7 PC offline this week (by Tuesday).

What I can't quite grasp is why people purchase 4K monitors, particularly in monitor sizes 32" or smaller, and then complain about everything being too small on the screen. I get that you can opt for resolution scaling within the OS. But from I have been reading about Windows 10, there isn't a guarantee a particular application will properly scale this way. And many insist Windows 10 doesn't do this very well for applications that can be scaled.

I suppose I could get a 4K monitor and force it into 2K mode, but that would seem to defeat the purpose (other than to be somewhat future-proof). Also, I am not sure a 4K monitor (27-32") in 2K mode would look better or even as good as a native 2K monitor.

Last edited:
I have used dual Dell U2412M IPS monitors for some years, and when I upgraded to a new PC (which sees use for CAD and graphics) last summer I got one with an Nvidia Quadro 2000 workstation video card and added a Dell U3219Q monitor. I have the big one as the main monitor and the two 24" rotated vertically and off to the left as secondary extensions of the workspace. I did adjust the Win10 display settings to increase icon/text sizes to a comfortable size. I'm very happy with the setup, but it is a high-end solution for my needs. The big monitor gets used if we want to watch a streamed movie since we haven't had a television for close to 40 years. The Quadro card should allow another 4K monitor to be run, but my desk is already full with about 55" of monitor side to side. The old monitors work fine and I can't justify replacing the two of them with one large monitor, as that would not gain much, if any, screen space.

Back
Top Bottom