Facebook taking it down!

All I want to know is if Zuckerberg is forced to testify, will he be in a t-shirt or suit? :LOL:

Last edited:
Still have a hard time figuring out what of value was gleaned over my sharing pictures of cats in boxes ?

I completely gave up the quizzes when someone shared one that had what was your dogs name and what was you mothers maiden name questions included. Password fishing at its most heavy handedness.
Good thing I missed those surveys! I had cleaned up my feed pretty well, and always removed "like and pass on" type stuff and silly tests and other silliness.

But now I don't even really use it.

We don't use FB to communicate with family. Just with neighbors in a private screened group, and with fellow outdoor enthusiasts in a couple of other focused groups.

I am so disgusted about FB failure to anticipate that their users could be 'gamed' that I brought down my account. It says that you can terminate your account if you contact them but I couldn't find out how to contact them.

There are doubtless thousands of FB users like myself who are bowing out. This will hit FB's business model where the sun doesn't shine. Hard to know if they were naive, stupid or greedy... maybe all three.

FB stock has further to fall.

I am so disgusted about FB failure to anticipate that their users could be 'gamed' that I brought down my account. It says that you can terminate your account if you contact them but I couldn't find out how to contact them.

There are doubtless thousands of FB users like myself who are bowing out. This will hit FB's business model where the sun doesn't shine. Hard to know if they were naive, stupid or greedy... maybe all three.

FB stock has further to fall.
I think FB themselves didn't realize that they could be gamed. They thought they were so clever.

Pretty nauseating really. Gosh - just let developers have access to all that user data? And blind to what is going on with all these "apps" and "surveys"?

Still have a hard time figuring out what of value was gleaned over my sharing pictures of cats in boxes ?

You might be surprised. Cats in boxes? If they're not your cats, maybe ok.

But there's bots out there that scan millions of photos. Facial recognition, background recognition, faces in the background, TOD, location, type of camera, maybe the embedded IP of the upload. In about 3 seconds they could assemble your profile just as accurate as if you had written it out on your own.

A few pics, no. Several hundred uploaded over 5 years or so, cross-referenced with hundreds of your friends? Cross-referenced across millions of other people and places in the photo's background? Lots of inference possible. "Why would they bother with me?"...they bother with everybody.

Last edited:
I don't use FB but I know for some it is a great tool for keeping in touch. I also see it dropping farther more will follow jumping of the train.

Facebook has a market cap of around 500B. That gives it a value of approximately the total of Ford, 3M and Exxon Mobil combined. The fall for facebook's (and all the other social media) value will come out of nowhere as soon as sanity takes control.

For now, I stopped using facebook, perhaps I will de-activate the account later if they are indeed guilty of sharing my data.

I don’t care if they share my data. I have nothing on FB that is all that sensitive.

Wish I could delete my FB account. But unfortunately, I'm now too embedded in the collective.

If a few of folks I'm interacting with on FB jump ship, then all bets are off.

Looking back, should have only used identifying information of my pet rock instead of myself :).

Last edited:
It's not your data. If you read the terms of service when you signed up for FB it says so in black and white. The minute you share / upload anything to FB, it's theirs. I'm actually astonished people are so surprised an upset by this. Like someone above mentioned, why else would FB be worth 500B?

It's not your data. If you read the terms of service when you signed up for FB it says so in black and white. The minute you share / upload anything to FB, it's theirs. I'm actually astonished people are so surprised an upset by this. Like someone above mentioned, why else would FB be worth 500B?

I think most folks that I know who are on FB aren't even aware of the FB story in the news. They are happily divulging personal info still. Many of them haven't even touched any FB security settings.

I don’t care if they share my data. I have nothing on FB that is all that sensitive.

My own data is probably not sensitive, however, all my friends data and their friends data may be sensitive.

Facebook must protect users data at all cost.

My own data is probably not sensitive, however, all my friends data and their friends data may be sensitive.

Facebook must protect users data at all cost.

It's not your data after you agree to give it away for free. Don't get me wrong, I'm a data security freak (major data breaches make me re-consider public execution as punishment)✌

It also appears to me many people don't understand what putting their personal information in public domain means.

Data is worth a lot of money. Once you own it, the next step is to monetize it. Perhaps not the way the original data owner ever thought.

Cambridge Analytics created an app, under the guise of “fun”, that enticed people to answer personal questions. Apparently, in the fine print somewhere, this fact was disclosed.
You mean people don't read the 15 pages of fine print:confused: Who knew??

My hope is that after the public humiliation, FB allows for more user control in security settings.

For example, right now, when going to the privacy settings, the highest level of security to not have others see my email and phone are "Friends". I'd prefer just me, but that isn't an option. I believe, one time, was able to not share email or phone, but FB likes to sneak changes on the side of less privacy. Hope this changes.

IMO, FB is in a pickle, having to choose between less sharing and hurting the goose that laid the golden egg. This could be fun to watch :).

I don't use FB but I know for some it is a great tool for keeping in touch. I also see it dropping farther more will follow jumping of the train.

I have no interest in FB and have never been on it except for a week many years ago when I quickly thought, like Betty White, that "it is a huge waste of time." I file this news under "things which happen to other people."

Taking a step back, there is some humor. The folks addicted to FB willing to pimp out their family and friends' personal info in order to play an app like Candy Crush.

Maybe humor is not the right word ... :(.

Most of DHs family keep in touch via Facebook. I made an account so that I could see what they are doing. I also use my account to join groups like Instant Pot and Air Fryer Recipes and Cornell bird cams.

I deliberately do not "friend" any of DHs family because I don't want them seeing what I'm doing on Facebook. One of DHs sisters loves to repost all kinds of political crap (yes, she reposted stuff that foreign entities put out to influence elections. If it's on the internet, it must be TRUE) that exists in her world. I'm not interested in what other people think about my interests.

I'm really surprised at what people post out in the public. I know you can change your settings and try to keep your own stuff in a small circle just among your friends, but I don't trust any of that. And I don't want to moderate something just to keep from offending certain relatives.

So I tell them that I don't have a Facebook. I've realized I'm a very private person, online and in real life.

Our 31 year old son, the freelance sound engineer, likes to post a pic from his gigs. He doesn't show who he's working for, just the venue and what mixer, mics or speakers he's using. Very interesting stuff and it's helpful to him in finding more work. He also travels a lot and I love when he posts pictures and comments on a trip. It's a nice way to see where he is and what he's doing.

Personally, I would never post a pic telling the world that I'm out of town!

Private - it works for me!

Last edited:
Just now, I saw a headline on Bloomberg site: "Facebook Is Trying to Protect Bikini Photos, But It's Not Easy".

What bikinis? Whose bikinis? Maybe this is something I need to know. :)

Of course, I had to click on that to watch the video. Just some talking heads saying some boring stuff about user data privacy. Darn click bait!

The fall for facebook's (and all the other social media) value will come out of nowhere as soon as sanity takes control.

Probably best that we not hold our breath for that!

Ha

The issues with Facebook and social media taking it down again. I see this not being a good thing in many ways but an issue that does need to be taken care of.

I send travel photos to just a few people via Apple's iMsg. It's much more secure and private, though certainly not 100% so. For most of my friends and family, they will have to wait until they visit me and see the photos in person.

It's stuff like this that keeps me with Apple. At least they try to keep my data private.

IMHO, Never logon to a non-FB site with your FB logon. Never.

Here's an article on how to beef up FB security from the Houston Chronicle. Note: They only allow three free articles a month to non subscribers.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...count-download-12767825.php?utm_campaign=tbgr

Last edited:
I keep hearing a few people say they wish FB would go broke and vanish. Even though I don't use I see the implications if that would happen. Things would cascade in the tech world not good for anyone even if a person isn't a player in the stock market world.

The problems need fixing not destroying the social media world. It is here and we need it to operate these days.

I deliberately do not "friend" any of DHs family because I don't want them seeing what I'm doing on Facebook. One of DHs sisters loves to repost all kinds of political crap (yes, she reposted stuff that foreign entities put out to influence elections. If it's on the internet, it must be TRUE) that exists in her world. I'm not interested in what other people think about my interests.

I have one relative who was probably in the target audience for the Russian hackers. He was posting material that I found offensive, and which looked very fake to me. I didn’t want my account to be associated with something unsavoury, so I blocked him. Now I’m glad I did.

I would miss Facebook if I deleted my account. It’s been a great way to find and keep in touch with old friends. But I have tightened my privacy settings. I’m keeping just one app, Words with Friends. I will not click on any quizzes or third party sites. In fact, I may unfriend anyone who posts them. If that is not enough, I may deactivate my account temporarily. If enough of us do these things, the platform will adapt. Otherwise it will be toast.

Back
Top Bottom