Firefox 89 - Who thought this was a good idea?

WOW! I'm a FF user for years, but I just clicked on Edge which I never have used. I just did some time checks to load new threads on this site, Edge loads the pages in well less than 1/2 the time of FF. The problem I have is Edge is full of ads, where FF has none.

Can I add ADblock to Edge and still get the same speed?

EDIT.

I just added Adblocker Plus to Edge, it's still fast.

Last edited:
Edge is just Chrome de-Googled and Microsoft-ed. Same code.

Not sure if I'm describing properly or not. But I just counted that I now have 20 icons on the bookmarks toolbar. Then there is the two right pointing angles for the dropdown. Didn't count how much previously, buy I say maybe 15 icons if lucky.
I only have 10 on mine?

I beg to differ - these design decisions aren't made by the programmers (at least not in my IT jobs). ...
Sorry, I was casting a wide net. UI designers are effectively programmers IMO even they aren't directly writing the code. Yes, the coders are probably somewhat innocent.

FF has had this for a while, under Privacy & Security > Permissions:
I have had this switch turned on for a long time and still get plenty of those obnoxious video pop-ups.

I was a huge FF fan until MS Edge came along. So much faster and easier. AND I can use Chrome extensions with it.
I have been a Microsoft hater for so long that it's like a reflex action. The way they crammed Edge down everybody's throat and force-fed the default option was very much in character for them. I use Edge a couple of times a week to display a page that FF, with Adblock and Ghostery, doesn't properly render. Beyond that, no thanks.

I've just now decided I'm in the wait and see if I can be convinced that I should not switch to Edge. My tests showed it loaded ER pages more than twice as fast. But, what is the downside?

FF has had this for a while, under Privacy & Security > Permissions:

I have that set to block all, but websites with videos still pop out those videos to the lower corner and very often start playing. Maybe the latest version will be better about preventing it from starting, but the pop-out is still there.

Hm. I don't usually see videos, but then I block most third-party scripts, and will add a custom rule to AdBlock if an animated GIF or video annoys me, so that may be why I hardly ever see them any longer.

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the following with Firefox v89. For some reason, when I go to close a tab (clicking on the "X" on the tab), I manage to close one of the adjacent tabs in addition to the tab I wanted closed.

I don't recall this happening with prior versions, and if it did, it was happening far less often than it is now. I am not sure if this is a setting or bug, but whatever it is, it's most annoying. Anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the following with Firefox v89. For some reason, when I go to close a tab (clicking on the "X" on the tab), I manage to close one of the adjacent tabs in addition to the tab I wanted closed.

I don't recall this happening with prior versions, and if it did, it was happening far less often than it is now. I am not sure if this is a setting or bug, but whatever it is, it's most annoying. Anyone else seen this?
I just tried, but do not see this bug. Maybe start up without extensions and see if it clears up?

I just tried, but do not see this bug. Maybe start up without extensions and see if it clears up?
I just thought of something else that is happening, but it has nothing to do with Firefox. Despite not having changed any settings in quite some time, I've noticed my mouse recently performing double-clicks when I only wanted a single click. If I did that on a tab not at the end, I could quickly close two tabs in a rows. Actually, I've noticed this a lot since the "upgrade" of Windows 10 to "20H2" last month. I will switch out to another mouse and see if this continues.

Brave for better security

I use Brave as my browser on all devices. And if a site hiccups on that browser, Chrome. Stopped using Firefox awhile back.

I'm using V.89 and have not seen any difference. That said, everything was tweaked years ago to make FF look the same regardless of what 'improvements' they came up with. Desktop still looks like XP too, but using windows 10. Stubborn I guess.

I would never use Chrome which is produced by Google. They have enough of my information already. LOL

I've noticed the following since updating to Firefox 89.0.2. For some reason, despite exiting Firefox completely, many times it will give me a message saying it has a problem restoring my previous session. In nearly all of these cases, Firefox is attempting to "restore" my previous session of ONE tab.

This is the first time in 17 years of using Firefox that I have consistently seen this message (I would see it on the rare occasions the browser or Windows hung up).

Anyone else seeing this?

EDIT: I noticed when I first re-entered this session of Firefox (without the restore message), I checked the settings under "Startup", and I noticed "Restore previous session" was not checked. Wanting to get the exact setting phrase, I just re-entered settings, and Restore previous session" was now checked. WTF?!

Last edited:
Firefox 91 got rid of the ability to keep tabs so the floating rectangles (Proton UI) have won. Yuk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom