Going to the Movies Poll?

Do YOU expect to go to in person movies…

• No more or less often than before

Votes: 39 36.8%
  • More than before

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Less than before

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • Never again

Votes: 27 25.5%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I’ve read a couple articles regarding the future of movie theaters, and of course in the internet age you can find any opinion you want - predicting their demise and not, so I don’t see any point in linking to one article/view.

Has the convenience of streaming, advances in home theater equipment quality/value and the ever smaller exclusive theatrical release window (zero below) narrowed the appeal of the immersive experience of in person theaters? I suspect the answer is yes, but that doesn’t mean there won’t still be some (smaller) audience for the movie theater experience. However smaller audiences mean higher prices and the inevitable cycle of demise or drastic reinvention?

The pandemic has only accelerated the trend?

What say you?

[In Jan] Warner Brothers announced that all of the movies it will release in 2021 will be available on Warner’s HBO Max subscription streaming service — on the same day they premiere in U.S. theaters. That includes such expected hits as Matrix 4, Dune, Godzilla vs. Kong, and The Suicide Squad.

This announcement has had a seismic impact on the movie industry, for several reasons.

We’re not ready to give up on live theater (or live concerts) but I doubt we’ll ever go to a movie theater again - even when the pandemic is over. Our decent TV with an orphaned PC 2.1 speakers is plenty good enough for us, much more convenient and already way cheaper.

Last edited:
We will probably go more just for the experience. But with two great home theater setups, watching from home is hard to beat.

I voted "no more no less" but could have just as correctly voted "never again." We gave up on movie theaters long ago - volume blasted too loud, patrons who can't keep their mouths shut, being held captive to watch seemingly unending commercials with no option to mute, freezing temperatures in mid-summer, and yes, no pause button. Besides, we just don't see many titles coming out that appeal to us. While amazing special effects draw many to the theater, we miss the lack of plot and character development. Those titles that do appeal to us are just fine on the big-screen TV at home. Cheaper, too.

Never really liked going to the movies that much... Especially indoors... When I think of indoor movies things like "Sticky floors, rude people, expensive tickets/concessions, volume is usually way to loud", come to mind...

It's probably been 30 years since I've been to the movies... Hey, I finally found a poll I could vote on.:dance: Voted, Never again....

Last edited:
I go during the day and usually only a few people in the theater...

And I get senior discount!!

Like others, I do not like how loud some are but there is nothing like a movie on a big screen..

BTW, the recliners are great and there is no sticky floor

I haven't been in over 20 years. I have a hard time finding a movie I want to watch for 2 hours or so. Mainly older ones that I can stream.

We don't go very often but will if something would have a better viewing experience in a large (IMAX) theater. Whenever the next Top Gun movie is released, I will see that on a random Tuesday afternoon in the theater. That way, I will most likely have it to myself and I will be fully immersed in the aerial cinematography.

Otherwise, I am happy to stay home in my underwear, eating my pop corn and using my clean bathroom. :)

Concerts is something I really used to enjoy but I am finding they are more of a pain these days. There are a couple of bands that I *might* still see live, but for the most part I don't want to endure the pain/logistics of "going to a concert" to listen for *maybe* a couple hours of music.

Last edited:
We like going to the movies and the movie experience.... movie popcorn (with real Cabot butter at our summer home theater).

The only movie that we have been to at the movie theaters recently was Wonder Woman 1984 back in February. The movie was so-so, but the movie popcorn was great and drolling over Gal Gadot for a couple hours wasn't the worst thing in the world. :D

The only thing keeping us from going to the movie theaters now is the lack of interesting movies. Looking forward to the new Bond movie and new Top Gun movie later this year, and maybe Jungle Cruise.

We did recently watch Black Widow at home on Disney+ and The Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime. They were ok. The Easter egg in Black Widow was interesting.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 27
I took a grandson to the movies last week and enjoyed it. Like the immersive experience plus lack of interruptions. The show was well attended but not sold out.

I voted "no more no less" but could have just as correctly voted "never again." We gave up on movie theaters long ago - volume blasted too loud, patrons who can't keep their mouths shut, being held captive to watch seemingly unending commercials with no option to mute, freezing temperatures in mid-summer, and yes, no pause button. Besides, we just don't see many titles coming out that appeal to us. While amazing special effects draw many to the theater, we miss the lack of plot and character development. Those titles that do appeal to us are just fine on the big-screen TV at home. Cheaper, too.

+1

My sentiments exactly!

Used to go 1-2 times a week in Scottsdale - theater with reclining seats. Nothing similar close to us in northern Illinois, so we don't go.

We used to go regularly to the cinema. In our area they all have invested in large recliner seats that can be reserved and in-seat dining (which we skip). One even has child free showings.

Some films just have to be viewed on big screen. I’m looking forward to Dune, which is coming out this October.

I haven't been in over 20 years. I have a hard time finding a movie I want to watch for 2 hours or so. Mainly older ones that I can stream.

+1 Same here, except it's been only about 10-15 years for us. We feel like movies have become preachy, with more "messages" than entertainment these days. So, we stopped watching them because we prefer pure entertainment.

Another reason we stopped going is that the high volume in theaters literally hurts my ears and I just can't bear it. And then, the other customers are loud too, inconsiderate, doing drugs openly, letting their kids run wild, and so on. Maybe this is a generational difference but we old fogies prefer civilized behavior for some reason. Theaters are no fun any more for us.

F sometimes streams old movies but I seldom if ever do (although I do like them). Luckily there are many different entertainment options other than movies.

Agree that good movies are hard to find. That's definitely a hurdle. But nothing new really. Though yeah the preachy political messages I do work hard to avoid. Not easy.

Mostly stopped going long ago due to the lack of good movies. For example, comic book movies are simply bad, and sort of sad if you know the history of comic books in the US, which is basically an industry that was strangled in its infancy and never recovered, yet movie options are so poor that comic book movies are common.

I think we'll slowly go a bit more.
Prior to the pandemic, we only went to the movies a couple of times per year. As I enter retirement, I can see myself going to a few more discounted matinees and later night showings without having to get up for work the next day.
However, also agree that pre-pandemic there wasn't a lot of movies that I was excited about.

Saw my first movie theater film in 1.5 years: Summer of Soul. Highly recommend it if you like the music of that era! It is a documentary that features footage of the so-called "Black Woodstock."

I don't have any sort of cable or streaming at home so enjoy movies in theaters if I like the film. I won't go to the theater just for the experience if the movie is lousy.

we have started back going to the movie theater. It's a nice outing and experience.

Same with us. Our screen and sound system just doesn't match up.
We do get the senior rate and bring our own snacks to keep the cost down.

Some films just have to be viewed on big screen. I’m looking forward to Dune, which is coming out this October.

I must admit I'm looking forward to Dune as well. I just hope it lives up to the book. That said, I have to admit I've always been a fan of the 1984 version. :hide:

I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movies since the storyline and visuals were faithful to the books although some had to be cut out. The Hobbit movies, not so much.

So, yeah, I might make an exception for Dune depending on the reviews and the buzz I hear after it premiers. I might have to go on a random Tuesday, bring my earplugs and wear a sweatshirt.

I voted "Never Again" and that's probably true.

I hate movie theaters and always have. Too many rude selfish jerks making noise of whatever kind, sticky floors (granted not so much an issue anymore) grossly overpriced for both the movie and anything to to eat. And as someone else noted, there's no "pause" button.

And I really don't need a five-figure home entertainment center to get immersed in a movie, the stuff we have right now is just fine.

Saw my first movie theater film in 1.5 years: Summer of Soul. Highly recommend it if you like the music of that era! It is a documentary that features footage of the so-called "Black Woodstock."

I don't have any sort of cable or streaming at home so enjoy movies in theaters if I like the film. I won't go to the theater just for the experience if the movie is lousy.

I’m thinking of “unpausing” my Hulu subscription for this and other features/originals (e.g, “Nomadland”).

+1 Same here, except it's been only about 10-15 years for us. We feel like movies have become preachy, with more "messages" than entertainment these days. So, we stopped watching them because we prefer pure entertainment.

Another reason we stopped going is that the high volume in theaters literally hurts my ears and I just can't bear it. And then, the other customers are loud too, inconsiderate, doing drugs openly, letting their kids run wild, and so on. Maybe this is a generational difference but we old fogies prefer civilized behavior for some reason. Theaters are no fun any more for us.

F sometimes streams old movies but I seldom if ever do (although I do like them). Luckily there are many different entertainment options other than movies.

W2R, If you want to watch a movie that isnt preachy, you need to watch Equalizer 2, August 5 on FX channel, as I got it taped to watch again. The only message served is the bad guys die and die painfully. Its Denzel Washington whoopin’ a lot of ass; its Taken and Dirty Harry on steroids, ha.

Reactions: W2R
I answered earlier and we're being cautious, but cases and hospitalizations have increased dramatically in the past few weeks in our state/county - so our precautions are evolving. There appear to be a lot of willfully ignorant citizens out there based on vaccine stats.

Back
Top Bottom