macOS High Sierra Upgrade

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anyone upgraded yet to macOS High Sierra, and if so, how did the upgrade go (problems/benefits)?

Has anyone upgraded yet to macOS High Sierra, and if so, how did the upgrade go (problems/benefits)?

I upgraded to High Sierra a few days ago on my MacBook Pro and all went fine, can't really tell any difference. I upgraded primarily to get the security upgrade.

There were no issues during my upgrade. I have not tried to "find" issues after so take that for what it is. As my devices (1 iPhone, 3 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, 1 iMac) are not mission critical, I usually apply all upgrades and version releases immediately.

Did it about ten days ago. Smooth and quick, no problems at all. I did have to update a few programs to make them compatible, but they were all free upgrades.

I encountered no problems.

No problems here.

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (the second small "bug fix" release of it) should be out shortly - beta 4 dropped today for developers and I expect 10.13.2 will be released for everyone shortly - probably alongside the release of the iMac Pro (promised by year end).

The biggest change introduced in High Sierra is the long awaited new File System APFS. iOS has been using it since iOS 10 last year and it's quite solid. Apple forces an upgrade from HFS to APFS if your systems disk is a SSD, otherwise you'll still be on HFS. I love APFS for lots of technical reasons, but most people won't really noticed the difference except that they'll have more free disk space.

Other changes in High Sierra are slight on the surface(Mail, Photos, Safari all got a bit better), but lots of plumbing upgrades. Besides APFS there was a lot of work on the graphics subsystems such as Metal 2, AR/VR support, etc.

DH has not installed it on anything yet because we have too much that doesn't run on it.

I had problems after I upgraded from Sierra. High Sierra killed AIM on my computer but it was time
to get rid of that anyway. I also still have a problem with a slow boot up. Currently at
10.13.1 version and it still boots slowly. I have a SSD and it used to boot 3 times faster.
I was hoping the updates would fix it but I guess it's time do a clean install.
Here is a good resource for High Sierra problems on the Macintouch website.

Last edited:
No problems for me. I upgraded yesterday and everything seems to be working fine.

I upgraded to High Sierra, but had problems.

The install hung up, and I had to restart in Internet recovery mode. Went through that and then installed a new os in disk utility. That went well.

I'm trying to clear up a nagging problem where safari sometimes goes to a "fix this mac " site or "flash player out of date" warning when I enter an internet address in Safari.

High Sierra did not fix this problem, so I still need to find a fix.

I'm trying to clear up a nagging problem where safari sometimes goes to a "fix this mac " site or "flash player out of date" warning when I enter an internet address in Safari.

That looks like messages from bad web sites trying to get you to download malware. Avoid those sites?

That looks like messages from bad web sites trying to get you to download malware. Avoid those sites?

Somehow i must have acquired a virus from one of those malware sites. I found Diskwarrior online. Bought it, installed it, and it did not cure the Safari redirects to "Flash player out of date" or to apple support. Diskwarrior did however clean up my drives making the mac faster.

I loaded High Sierra and the malware redirects continued. I downloaded and installed "malwarebytes" based on some online research and it appears that it solved my problem. No more redirects.

If your version of flash player is old, then you will get this message.
Not malware, but informational.

True, but mine was up to date. (found that out later). I also got redirects to an Apple support page.

I learned to always check Adobe - Flash Player
it will give a pop up if the computer's version of flash is up to date. If it is, never click on an ad to download.

I upgraded the first day High Sierra was available. It was simple, and no issues since. I can't say I really notice any difference though.

If your version of flash player is old, then you will get this message.
Not malware, but informational.

No, there are definitely malware update flash messages on web sites. The Equifax site even got hacked with it.

Best to not use flash anyway. Full of security holes. Uninstall it.

True, but mine was up to date. (found that out later). I also got redirects to an Apple support page.

I learned to always check Adobe - Flash Player
it will give a pop up if the computer's version of flash is up to date. If it is, never click on an ad to download.

Exactly!

I know there are still a few (very few) legitimate uses for Flash in browsers, but seriously, stop using flash if you can.

Adobe has will has announced it's end of life is 2020 "we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020".

The reason I pause on installing is when I upgraded to Sierra, it wiped out many of my Apple Mail emails which I was not able to recover as I had no backup at that time. It also seems that the boot time slowed on my mac. I have Malwarebytes installed and it doesn't detect any problems.

I have upgraded my MacBook Pro and iPhone 7 Plus with no problems. Haven't noticed anything different

Have problems opening url links from email after upgrade.

I know there are still a few (very few) legitimate uses for Flash in browsers, but seriously, stop using flash if you can.

Adobe has will has announced it's end of life is 2020 "we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020".

When I want to see or use something requiring flash I use an app called Puffin.

me > Adobe has will has announced it's end of life

Wow, I need to work on proofreading before posting. Mea culpa.

Back
Top Bottom