MS Edge storing password but can't get it to stop

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I signed up for our state lotto site so I could buy my lottery tickets online. The guy with a mask and gloves at the local liquor store freaked me out a bit. :)

Anyway, now when I go into the site and click on "sign in", the sign in form is already filled out with my e-mail address and password. All I have to do is click that "sign in" button and I'm in. No typing of any information.

Problem is that I don't want it that way but can't figure out how to make it stop. I checked my Microsoft Edge settings and the remember passwords function is turned off. I looked to see if any passwords were saved and none showed up. I deleted history and cookies to no avail. I chatted with the help area for the lotto site and they confirmed that they don't control that or save passwords in that manner. When I signed in, there was nothing like "do you want to save this password?".

Any ideas what to check next? It's not a big deal since it's just me and DW, but I really don't want that easy access to a web site that has my credit card information. Even more, it's just one of those things that I don't want and it's driving me crazy since I can't figure out how to make it not do that.

Thanks.

I can only answer your question with a question .... Are you sure you want to use MS Edge?

When I moved to Win 10 the first couple of things I did was to make sure my system did not use MS Edge no Cortana. Just sayin' :).

I can only answer your question with a question .... Are you sure you want to use MS Edge?

When I moved to Win 10 the first couple of things I did was to make sure my system did not use MS Edge no Cortana. Just sayin' :).

I get it. I use Chrome also, but my main browser is Edge and it works just fine. This is the first quirk I've experienced in using it since it replace MS Internet Explorer.

1. You go to the little star in upper right corner, or ... (menu elipse) and pick History.
  2. click on clear history.
  3. Shows 'Clear browsing data"
  4. Check the passwords box and click Clear button. (and wait for All Clear to show).
Then close down browser, and open it again.

1. You go to the little star in upper right corner, or ... (menu elipse) and pick History.
  2. click on clear history.
  3. Shows 'Clear browsing data"
  4. Check the passwords box and click Clear button. (and wait for All Clear to show).
Then close down browser, and open it again.

Yep, did that. Went into that a different way (through settings) but did it just as you explained above just to try again, and still it persists. I can't figure out what's populating this.

I'll try to give a more helpful :rolleyes: response this time.

The reason why I avoided MS Edge is because MS decided to use too many options and make a setting like what you are trying to do so darn difficult. Case in point is with Win 10's power settings. Why so many power configurations when a simple method like with Win XP and Win 7 worked just fine, keeping things simple?

Back in days of Windows XP, I used to swear by Internet Explorer as that was the browser that came with the OS. But then the light bulb turned on that I really do have a choice as an alternative.

Okay ... off my soapbox. Hope you figure out a solution.

The thing about this is that it’s happening in no other site. I guess I was just wondering is one of our technological gurus could point me to a possible reason. It obviously must be stored somewhere because it doesn’t show up if I go into private mode but it’s right there again in normal mode.

I can only suggest reading this webpage:

https://www.whatswithtech.com/how-to-view-delete-passwords-saved-in-edge-browser-in-windows-10/

It does seem that passwords can be store in other places :facepalm:

Thanks. I’ll try that credential manager. As for the other things in the article where they manage the passwords through the settings in the browser, been there done that and nothing worked. That’s the strange thing. It doesn’t even show that a password has been saved. Of course, it shouldn’t because I have that shut off, but some how it is. I’ll report back in the morning on the credential manager.

It may be stored in a cookie. Since you probably don't want to delete all your cookies for all websites, you can delete cookies for a specific domain using the Edge Developer tools:
- start from the page that has the password auto-filled
- press F12 or go to the ... menu and select More Tools / Developer Tools
- select the Network menu (first screenshot below)
- click on the cookie icon to remove cookies for that domain (second screenshot)
- click the refresh button in the browser and see if the password disappears

If this solves the problem, then it's a poor website design. The only way to stop it from remembering you in the future is to visit from an InPrivate browser window.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-21 074844.jpg
    Annotation 2020-03-21 074844.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Annotation 2020-03-21 074719.jpg
    Annotation 2020-03-21 074719.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 6
Anyway, now when I go into the site and click on "sign in", the sign in form is already filled out with my e-mail address and password. All I have to do is click that "sign in" button and I'm in. No typing of any information.

Problem is that I don't want it that way but can't figure out how to make it stop. I checked my Microsoft Edge settings and the remember passwords function is turned off. I looked to see if any passwords were saved and none showed up. I deleted history and cookies to no avail. I chatted with the help area for the lotto site and they confirmed that they don't control that or save passwords in that manner. When I signed in, there was nothing like "do you want to save this password?".

I just tested this - even if I select "remember me" when signing in to a site it does not store a password in the browser.

MS Edge is now based on Chromium, just like Chrome. You can install all Chrome extensions in MS Edge. I have found that I actually *prefer* Edge since I get all the benefits of Chrome without all the Google tracking. A very small difference, I know, but it's working well for me, even on my Macs :)

Cathy,
I tried that too. Like you said, I don’t want to delete all my cookies, but I’m thinking about doing that just to rule it out as how this is happening. If I get it deleted, then you’re correct, I’ll only go in through private mode. That’s why I have Chrome. I have a shortcut that opens it in incognito mode, which I use for e-mail. I started doing that when Google decided to not log me out whenever the browser is closed. I also don’t like how they save your account information. I don’t want every gmail account I have listed on the main screen or to save every one that gets used on my machine like when the grand kids log in. That all used to have an option to not save, but no more. So, incognito it is for gmail and apparently will be for lotto also.

You could switch to firefox browser.

I could, but it still wouldn't solve the bug up my butt about how this is storing this data and how to get rid of it. You obviously don't understand OCD (or whatever this disorder I have is). :D

I'm in this now. This machine/program will not get the better of me. If all else fails, I will take my computer to Omni and she'll fix it no matter how long it takes. She has the same disorder, only stronger.

Could you go to the lotto site, sign in, then in your profile or whatever tell it you want to change your password. When you change it and Edge asks if you want to save it, say "no" or "never".

-BB

Could you go to the lotto site, sign in, then in your profile or whatever tell it you want to change your password. When you change it and Edge asks if you want to save it, say "no" or "never".

-BB

That didn't work either, but I did do something along those lines and it helped.

I used the "forgot password" button on the login page. They sent me a link to reset my password. I did that in incognito mode. Then I went out and went through the normal sign in page and it was different. In the e-mail box is the word "null". The password box is filled out but it's hidden (just shows dots) so I can't tell if its the old password or the new one. Either way, at least someone would have to know the email account associated with the lotto account to get in.

This exercise leads me to a firmer belief that the password in being auto filled by the website. I just cant figure out where. I'm about ready to delete all cookies, even though I hate to do that and it looks like going through developer tools, I did delete the cookies.

Also, I tried the Credential Manager, and it did not show any passwords except my pandora account associated with the pandora app.

Ah...interesting. One last thought. Could you go to the site and request that they cancel your account? Then, when that is done, try registering again. Perhaps your email address will have been deleted and could be reused.

-BB

Ah...interesting. One last thought. Could you go to the site and request that they cancel your account? Then, when that is done, try registering again. Perhaps your email address will have been deleted and could be reused.

-BB

I was thinking about that too. However, I bought 5 draws, so I wouldn't want to cancel the account until that's past - around April 5th if I recall.

I did go in a change the password again so now I can confirm that the password they are displaying with the "null" email address is one of my old passwords. I changed the length this time to confirm.

This exercise leads me to a firmer belief that the password in being auto filled by the website. I just cant figure out where. I'm about ready to delete all cookies, even though I hate to do that and it looks like going through developer tools, I did delete the cookies.

That breaks so many rules about passwords, that it would be incredibly stupid.
If it's true, they don't need a password at all, since they are confirming it's you coming to the site (via cookie, or hardware code). This way of doing things fails immediately upon a shared machine.

That breaks so many rules about passwords, that it would be incredibly stupid.
If it's true, they don't need a password at all, since they are confirming it's you coming to the site (via cookie, or hardware code). This way of doing things fails immediately upon a shared machine.

Exactly, that's my issue. In general, I don't really care because it's just me and DW. I guess a grandkid could get on there and click in somehow, but that's very unlikely. I just cant stand that it does this. And it drives me a little crazy that I can't figure out the mechanism.

Back
Top Bottom