protect information during repair

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
my personal laptop has a hinge that is broken and seems like the top of the case will come apart when I open it. I took it to a repair shop locally yesterday and they want $100 to fix it. the money is not a problem, but how do I protect my information while it is in their possession being fixed? any ideas? they said they want my password so they know it works when they are done. thanks in advance.

Set up another user profile with limited permissions. Give them that password.

Is that a little suspicious to anyone else? I've done some upgrades and repairs on my own laptops, and if I were replacing a hinge, all I think I would need to check would be the screen and the keyboard, both of which can be tested without logging in.

Then again, maybe since they are a business, they want to run full diagnostics on it to avoid someone coming back and saying that the repair introduced a new issue?

I would never give anyone my password. I would rather buy a new laptop.

Doesn’t make much sense for a hinge repair. If it was to go this route, I’d probably do a full backup and completely wipe the laptop before giving it to them, and then restore when I get it back. But that takes some work. It’s easy on a Mac, but I’m guessing you’re on Windows and it might be harder (it’s been a long time since I used Windows).

they said they want my password so they know it works when they are done. thanks in advance.

Then tell them you'll show up when they are "done" and you will log in and they can perform any final validation, with you there in person, observing.

If they balk at that, find another repair shop.

Then tell them you'll show up when they are "done" and you will log in and they can perform any final validation, with you there in person, observing.
I would never give anyone my password. I would rather buy a new laptop.

Doesn’t make much sense for a hinge repair. If it was to go this route, I’d probably do a full backup and completely wipe the laptop before giving it to them, and then restore when I get it back. But that takes some work. It’s easy on a Mac, but I’m guessing you’re on Windows and it might be harder (it’s been a long time since I used Windows).
Put your sensitive files in a Veracrypt container that they can't access.
https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html
Agreed, I would probably follow one of these courses of action in your place, frank.

Last edited:
I had to return a laptop I purchased at Costco for warranty repair, they sent me a box and I mailed it in. I did what was suggested above and created a new user account then deleted it when I got it back. I also have my data on a hard drive partition that's encrypted with Windows bitlocker so I wasn't concerned with anyone accessing any personal information.

That’s what I was thinking.

They will know it powers up and that the screen works without needing to log in.

Is that a little suspicious to anyone else? I've done some upgrades and repairs on my own laptops, and if I were replacing a hinge, all I think I would need to check would be the screen and the keyboard, both of which can be tested without logging in.

Then again, maybe since they are a business, they want to run full diagnostics on it to avoid someone coming back and saying that the repair introduced a new issue?

+1. That kind of hardware repair does not need access to your computing environment.

Since it is local, give it to them, and after they have fixed it come in to their shop ,and you test it on their premises to verify it is working.

Back
Top Bottom