My 40th Thread...Linux Life

Which bugs were "bugging" you the most? I'm also running Mint and generally like it, but I'm curious to know what caused you to switch.

Lost audio. That's the that had me switching.

I've had incidents in the past were Mint wouldn't boot and there "Repair Boot Disc" utility pretty much did nothing.

Haven't found the perfect distro. I'm still still in the process of moving over to Linux Lite (LL)

One annoyance :facepalm: I've already encountered is the naming LL used. LL's intended audience is for those switching over from Win. Because of that, LL does hand holding with names. For example, instead of listing an application such as Gparted, the name is Partition Manager.

Another example, I was looking for how to have the Home icon show on my desktop only to realize it's already there but called User Files instead of Home.

Hope LL won't lead to me unlearning Linux :blush:.

... One annoyance :facepalm: I've already encountered is the naming LL used. LL's intended audience is for those switching over from Win. Because of that, LL does hand holding with names. For example, instead of listing an application such as Gparted, the name is Partition Manager. ...

This one of my pet peeves with the Linux distros I've used (not LL specific). Now, it's been a long time since I did much with a Mac or Windows, but it seemed to me that if I open the app "Photos", the app name appears in the title bar and in the app switcher.

But in my Xubuntu install, if I open one of the several File Managers I have (they each have specific features I like that the other doesn't, but I mostly use "Nemo"), in my Application Picker (Whisker Menu), they are ALL labeld "Files". If I open one, there is no indication what I opened. I have to go to the "About" pull down to see "Nemo", "Thunar" and... "Files" - but it's actually "Nautilus"!

The app switcher (ALT-TAB) shows them as Nemo, Thunar and Org Gnome N.... which I guess is "Nautilus", but cut off.

And if I install the media player "totem", it shows as "Videos". I wish they use a single reference for an installed app, and add the name to the title bar - if I try to troubleshoot, I sometimes don't even know what app I'm using!

Seems so simple - one installed app, one name. What am I missing?

-ERD50

Which bugs were "bugging" you the most? I'm also running Mint and generally like it, but I'm curious to know what caused you to switch.

We're pleased with LM too. I just bought a new Dell Optiplex SFF 7010 and installed LM 21.3 on it. Had no issues at all with the install and everything works perfectly, including audio to my monitor. We've been using LM for probably 10 years now. I chose LM so it would be an easy learning curve for the DW coming from Windows. I'd like to experiment with other distros but feel like I need to stay on LM when she has questions/issues with her PC.

We're pleased with LM too. I just bought a new Dell Optiplex SFF 7010 and installed LM 21.3 on it. Had no issues at all with the install and everything works perfectly, including audio to my monitor. We've been using LM for probably 10 years now. I chose LM so it would be an easy learning curve for the DW coming from Windows. I'd like to experiment with other distros but feel like I need to stay on LM when she has questions/issues with her PC.

Glad that LM is working out for you.

For me, sound was working if I used a HDMI connection and listen with my monitor's speakers. But the speakers is so weak on my monitor. I had LM working was a sound bar using a DVI connection instead of HDMI. But then the sound stopped working. Plus, as I mentioned, in the past, there were times when LM just stopped booting for no apparent reason and I had to restore the system from an image copy I made.

If a distro works for you, stick with it.

Another day, another distro hop. This time, I'm going full circle and going get back to MX-Linux. Still not perfect but more stable then what I've had with both Linux Mint and Linux Lite.

Another day, another distro hop. This time, I'm going full circle and going get back to MX-Linux. Still not perfect but more stable then what I've had with both Linux Mint and Linux Lite.

When in doubt, restore from a backup. That's what I probably should have done sooner instead of barking up different trees. I ended up restoring my system from a Pristine backup I did during my initial Linux Lite install and setup.

Fingers crossed now that may do the trick. Maybe something got corrupt along the way which led to the system crashing while running a program I really need.

Been chasing ghosts and think I just found the ghost causing the erratic behavior. Discovered that the HDD where my system resides has 8 bad sectors. Time to use a better drive :blush:.

The program Timeshift can create restore points so you can roll back updates. It doesn't backup your personal data, just system data.

I stopped the distro hop after I started using MX-Linux about 4 years ago and so far its been rock solid for me. I hope you can solve any remaining issues.

I stopped the distro hop after I started using MX-Linux about 4 years ago and so far its been rock solid for me. I hope you can solve any remaining issues.

I was hopping back to MX-Linux the other day but got flustered too. Not with MX in particular but the process of different distros better at different things. For example, I was on MX a few years back but MX doesn't handle hot swapping. So I hopped to Linux Mint which does handle hot swapping. But then I had issues with LM sometimes not booting and sounds issues. Like working one day, then suddenly not. So I want to Linux Lite (LL). For now, Lite is okay (though certainly not as responsive in speed as MX).

I think the issue I had recently of Lite crashing on me was do to a bad HDD and not the system itself.

I did learn a couple of Linux things though. A complaint of had of LL is they use generic names for programs. Like instead of just saying "Timeshift" that's listed as System Restore or something similar. But I believe the name choice is just an Xfce setting where I can set to actual program names instead.

Last edited:
The program Timeshift can create restore points so you can roll back updates. It doesn't backup your personal data, just system data.

Through settings, I use Timeshift for roll back changes including any personal data changes. I like to go back to a computer's state before needing to roll back. But I do full system images too so don't rely on Timeshift as a backup program.

Through settings, I use Timeshift for roll back changes including any personal data changes. I like to go back to a computer's state before needing to roll back. But I do full system images too so don't rely on Timeshift as a backup program.
I do Clonezilla for bit for bit backups.

Back
Top Bottom