OOMA changed my plan from basic to Premier

Disappointed

Recycles dryer sheets
I saw a charge of $15.xx by OOMA on my CC. Called the customer service and asked. She told me that I did not op out from a promo recently. I have been with them for over four years on Basic. I was not aware of this promo trial and was automatically op in? Do not like this kind of practice at all.
If you subscribe to Basic OOMA check you bill or your auto payment make sure they didn’t switch you without your consent.

If this is true, one of the worst things someone can do to a customer....

I would not want to be with someone who blatantly cheats their customers... and I consider making you op out of a promo cheating...

And I bet they get away with it and make some big money off of this...

Let’s see if somebody else got shafted also. I believe she said that the promo started Nov 10th, I told her that I have been out of the country on vacation since November 6th.
Also, you can’t change plan from Premier without calling in their 888 number, this kind of reminding me of trying to change (downgrade plan) or terminate satellite TV or internet service. Unbelievable!
I should terminate this land line service but my wife likes to have it.

I should terminate this land line service but my wife likes to have it.

I was looking at this only fifteen minutes ago. (see Best of 2017: How to Save Money on Home Phone - Cord Cutters News)

I ruled it out because, as I understand it, this is NOT a landline service. Doesn't it connect directly to your Internet service? It's not that our Internet service is interrupted by power failure that much but it is more often than I would feel comfortable with. The main (if not only) reason to keep a landline is because it by-passes the power grid.

Am I wrong in thinking Ooma is NOT connected to a landline?

just checked my last CC bill... normal minimal charges <$5

I've had Ooma Premier for years and think it's well worth the price. Still, I would suspect you may have absently clicked on something in an email to make this happen.

Didn’t even know the sent me an email. They are crediting back the difference. We use our cellphones 99% of the time. We keep OOMA because it only cost $4.xx a month and we get to keep the phone number that we have had for a long time. It is also convenient to call the US while traveling abroad.

I've been a basic subscriber for a very long time. They've been inching up the price over the years, which I find annoying. Much faster than inflation would command. They know how slowly to do it without people dropping them, I suppose. As mentioned, we just keep the "land line" for continuity. It's also nice to give out that number instead of my cell number, unless I'm convinced I would benefit from them having access to my cell, which is pretty much never. Since I have a Sentry device rigged not to ring unless someone is on the white list, when the Ooma rings, it's always a legit call. My cell gets more unsolicited calls than the Ooma.

Anyway, I hope they don't try to pull that unrequested upgrade cr*p with me. They do bill my CC directly.

Didn’t even know the sent me an email. They are crediting back the difference. We use our cellphones 99% of the time. We keep OOMA because it only cost $4.xx a month and we get to keep the phone number that we have had for a long time. It is also convenient to call the US while traveling abroad.
100% the same reason as us.

I've been a basic subscriber for a very long time. They've been inching up the price over the years, which I find annoying. Much faster than inflation would command. They know how slowly to do it without people dropping them, I suppose.

The basic Ooma service is free, after the one time cost of the device. You only pay the taxes and fees which they have no control over.

That's what they tell us.

Didn't the Cruise Lines use to say that too -- before the class-action lawsuits?

BTW I use callcentric for my phone service ($1.95/month for my level of usage).

I have my MIL on OOMA but would switch her over to callcentric in a heartbeat if they started jacking with her billing as described by OP.

Last edited:
Well, I just learned Ooma charged me $132 on 12/24/17 instead of $10.12 (my usual monthly payment which included premier service). After calling them, they said something about my promo had ended. So, I asked to be dialed back to basic which is $5-$7 per month (just taxes). I no longer have the 500 international minutes (which I hardly used except when my daughter was in Guam - she's been back since March). Yes, I'll miss the call blocking, but whatever. I told the guy that they were not clear about this billing process and I'm really disappointed. I discovered this charge as I was paying my monthly credit card payment. The guy promised to reverse the charges down to the $10 a month for this month and next month, it will go down to the basic charge of $5 to $7 for the taxes. I'll have to monitor this on my cc till I see the reversal.

I don't mind having this OOMA service (not truly a land line) but our home phone is much more clear than our cell phones when talking to our kids who live several hours from us. OOMA needs to change their process in dealing w/ billing changes. I still like saving $30 a month on an ongoing basis since getting rid of landline.

You can buy a block of international units for the $5/mo plan. I did that when I needed to call overseas. Worked great.

Sounds like they just charged you the once a year Premier charge. That's the way I do it.
Every April I pay a roughly $130 bill and the other 11 months it's only a little over $4.00.

I like Ooma Premier a lot.

The main (if not only) reason to keep a landline is because it by-passes the power grid.

That varies depending on location. AFAIK, unless you're in the Big City POTS employs the same power grid plus battery backup. Around here that battery has lasted only about 6 hours after the start of a power outage.

How do you call the US from abroad? We have Ooma and haven't tried that yet.
I know people used magic jack that way, but didn't know it was an option with Ooma. I'm a Republic Wireless user, so once on WiFi, I can call the US as if I were sitting at home, so have the phone home thing covered. And I have my cheap European radio smart phone with a SIM I buy when I land to call around the country I'm in, and for sat-nav.

Trooper
I downloaded OOMA app to my iPhone, you can make a call through their app to US for free.

The basic Ooma service is free, after the one time cost of the device. You only pay the taxes and fees which they have no control over.

That's what they tell us.

It's true. I FIREd from a telecom mega, so I had a "free" landline concession. When I FIREd I was paying ~$6/month, all fees and taxes. By the time I dropped the landline after 11 years I was paying almost $10/month, still all fees and taxes.

Weirdly, I now have a $30 credit with them. I can't see how, unless they were charging me 3 months ahead. It's been carrying forward for almost a year. I should call and see if they'll mail me a check.

One can use the Ooma app (iOS or Android) to make calls wherever you have an Internet connection.

Back
Top Bottom