Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest"

Votes: 63 23.0%
  • Yes - But only when forced to

Votes: 64 23.4%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior

Votes: 74 27.0%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters
Well, with 5 machines eligible for Win 10 update (3 are Pro versions), that's a lot of money if I want it later. So, I am going to upgrade them all to get them registered, then revert if I don't like it.

By the way, the latest desktop PC is now running Win 10. That Oracle Java update bugger appeared to be the culprit!

Why should this be so shocking:confused:?
I explained why in my earlier message. If you understand what is involved and the potential complexities overcome, the number of problems reported with the upgrades to Windows 10 is very impressive, and doubly-so in the context of how much they charged consumers for the upgrade.

Last edited:
I did my Windows 8.1 to 10 upgrade yesterday over WiFi on my 3 year old Dell Inspirion laptop (i3, 4GB). It died once on the download, fix easily found googling error code (had to enable a service that was disabled). All went smooth after that. Took some time to go through and disable the "features" that I didn't want running. All my third party software (VPN, antivirus, malware, drivers for external devices...) seem to be working.

I didn't time the whole thing but I'll estimate it was about 2 hours to create a couple of USB-3 thumb drive backups of critical data, and one disk image on an external hard drive, and 6 hours for download, install, and manually performing non-custom/express configuration and . All third part software seems to be working but I probably still have some things left to configure/fix and I need to create another disk image (so 2 hours maybe?). Estimated total time to upgrade/configure 10 hours with pre and post backups. I did get some other things done while much of this was happening (e.g. laundry, grocery store run, watch TV, eat breakfast and lunch, take a nap...).

So far, I am just as "underwhelmed" with Windows 10 as I was with Windows 8/8.1. But at least the upgrade didn't do any "damage or functional/performance degradation" so to speak (or haven't found any yet after only a few hours of "testing".

I will definitely be looking into something besides a Microsoft Windows machine (Linux or Mac) when I do my next laptop purchase.

The pop-ups are getting more annoying, now with countdown clocks. The Windows 7 desktop hasn't been on-line since this started and the Windows 8 computer seems to be fine as is. Why mess with (relative) success? I may click the "decline" button before too long, although I'm kind of interested in Microsoft's tactics as we get to the bitter end.

Yeah, I finally decided to hit the decline button a couple days ago. Enough with the pop-ups. From what i've heard, there is no benefit for me to upgrade. Why change what's not broken.

Last edited:
After a lot of resistance, Lena upgraded her laptop to Windows 10. We got it started before we went to bed, and in the morning her screen said: "Welcome to Windows 10!"

IOW, it went off without a hitch. Main reason: She doesn't have a lot of add-ons and unusual apps as I do.

Windows 10 is spyware. It sends your keystrokes, location, contacts and calendar details to Microsoft to be sold to other companies. Might your keystrokes contain passwords? Hmm. No way that could ever be misused or hacked. It also sends your "Advertiser ID", so Microsoft can place ads on your screen. Now Microsoft can make you watch a Preparation H commercial before letting you start Outlook. Some of this can be disabled: www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw. But I'm determined to avoid it altogether.

Seems like a lot of people are doing the upgrade at the last minute. I can hardly wait to hear the squawking when their (newly) W10 computers then automatically go through the Anniversary update on August 2nd! :D This too shall pass.

I have seen conflicting reports that the Anniversary update will be as big as (or bigger than) Threshold2 last November, vs others who say it will be relatively small. If it is another huge update, then I expect that Microsoft will be sending out some pretty big downloads this week, in preparation for it. That should slow things down a bit I'd think.

Apparently after the Anniversary update we will no longer be able to keep Cortana turned off. Here's the article talking about that.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3100...ana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

Last edited:
I'm thinking about dual booting with Linux, possibly wiping Windows from my HP laptop.

No longer interested in running Quicken for the retirement planner.

Wondering if there's something better out there for photo editing and viewing though than Lightroom.

I have both linux and windows machines, and a dual boot Mac / Linux at work (very occasional). They only had Mac's there, so I added Linux for my use. :LOL:

I rarely do photo editing, but when I do I use GIMP (it's like photo shop, very mature, FREE, and works on many OS's. )
GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Seems like a lot of people are doing the upgrade at the last minute. I can hardly wait to hear the squawking when their (newly) W10 computers then automatically go through the Anniversary update on August 2nd! :D This too shall pass.

I have seen conflicting reports that the Anniversary update will be as big as (or bigger than) Threshold2 last November, vs others who say it will be relatively small. If it is another huge update, then I expect that Microsoft will be sending out some pretty big downloads this week, in preparation for it. That should slow things down a bit I'd think.

Also, after the Anniversary update we will no longer be able to keep Cortana turned off. Here's the article talking about that.
You can't turn off Cortana in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update | PCWorld

Thanks for the update.

I will be sure to restore my PCs back from the network backup before Aug 2nd. :)

Yeah, I finally decided to hit the decline button a couple days ago. Enough with the pop-ups. From what i've heard, there is no benefit for me to upgrade. Why change what's not broken.

I have not seen anything that is a must have. But then, I spend all my time on a Win 7 laptop that has not been molested

Played around just a bit with the Win 10 machines, but not much. I am still waiting to see the reaction of my guinea pig, er, my wife. :LOL:

Thanks for the update.

I will be sure to restore my PCs back from the network backup before Aug 2nd. :)

Hope you get through the coming week relatively unscathed! I think a lot of us will be suffering until everything is installed and configured like we want it.

Personally I do not want Cortana at all, ever, can't stand this feature, and have her turned off completely right now. (OK, so I'm an old fashioned old fogey who thinks Cortana is really stupid and a security cesspool.) So, I'll be following the suggestions in that article about how to configure my laptop to make Cortana as un-intrusive as possible.

To me, there just is no choice about whether to stick with W7 or upgrade to W10. The elephant in the room is what happened with XP. People *loved* XP, even more than W7. But Microsoft will not support these OS's forever, and eventually even the security updates will stop coming. So at some point, we will all have to go to W10 or else ditch Microsoft and go to Linux or Apple or whatever.

Right now, I love W10 anyway and prefer it to W7 or W8.1 . Hopefully I will feel the same after the Anniversary update.

Last edited:
I explained why in my earlier message. If you understand what is involved and the potential complexities overcome, the number of problems reported with the upgrades to Windows 10 is very impressive, and doubly-so in the context of how much they charged consumers for the upgrade.

Let me restate this:

Nothing is FREE from Microsoft. They have had decades of practice developing and providing OS's. It is not impressive to me that they pretty much forced this new OS on us and not without users having problems. Try reading the posts that state the issues people have had with this new product instead of just posting your one-sided opinion. And it is just an opinion and not a fact.

Try downloading a Linux OS and see how easily it is to set up and use. That's open source software and it is really free.

I want to know when those fake "Microsoft Technical Service" people will stop calling me! I've had 5 calls from them in the last few days.

Will Quicken 2014 run on Win 10? Only reservation I have about converting at this point and I don't care to buy Quicken earlier than necessary.

I was running quicken 14 when I upgraded to win 10. No problems. (I've since upgraded to quicken H&B 16 when someone here posted a sale (that turned out to be a mistake) for a screaming price. I snagged that before intuit fixed their sale price. )

It is not impressive to me that they pretty much forced this new OS on us and not without users having problems.
You're welcome to your opinion. I simply believe that holding the expectations you seem to hold will prove to be unsatisfied with regard to software of this sort, available from any source under the same conditions, and that this particular instance happened to have been one for which performance was superlative as compared to all same-to-same process comparisons, with regard to software of this sort, available from any source under the same conditions.

Last edited:
You're welcome to your opinion. I simply believe that holding the expectations you seem to hold will prove to be unsatisfied with regard to software of this sort, available from any source under the same conditions, and that this particular instance happened to have been one for which performance was superlative as compared to all same-to-same process comparisons, with regard to software of this sort, available from any source under the same conditions.

Once again, your opinion.

Last edited:
Okay let's test it then: Please outline examples of better performance of the same process, with regard software of this sort, available from any other source under the same conditions.

I upgraded three older computers to Windows 10 (it was free). I'm not impressed. I'm keeping my primary computer on Windows 7. There are compatibility problems with some applications such as MS Money Sunset Edition and Windows 10. Since I manage all my finances using MS Money and have been doing so since 1989 (earlier versions), there is no way I'm upgrading until the issues are resolved. The other issue is that Windows 10 sends too much information to Microsoft from your PC.

After being unable to upgrade to WIN 10 using the normal methods (in place upgrade, media creation tool) I finally borrowed a WIN10 disk from a friend and had success with the upgrade. Only one program was found by the installation process to be incompatible and was uninstalled. My main concern was an older but still very functional solid modelling CAD program. I believe it would have opened but that the new operating system triggered an invalid license response. The company has been purchased by another and at this point my own company that the software was purchased through is defunct with the email address used for the registration no longer functional. I might still be able to get the license transferred but for now I've reverted back to WIN7 with the hope that I can upgrade sometime in the future. I certainly want to keep using the software since it was a lifetime license and replacement would probably be north of $1000.

Yes. I have a few legacy scientific and engineering software that still work well for me, and hate to lose them.

But, but, but, I am retired. Why can't I let these go? Well, I still do a bit of the "stuff" for myself as a hobby, and these are my tools.

Yes. I have a few legacy scientific and engineering software that still work well for me, and hate to lose them.

But, but, but, I am retired. Why can't I let these go? Well, I still do a bit of the "stuff" for myself as a hobby, and these are my tools.
Exactly! I want to become more proficient in such software even though at this point, it's just a hobby for me too.

Back
Top Bottom