Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest"

Votes: 63 23.0%
  • Yes - But only when forced to

Votes: 64 23.4%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior

Votes: 74 27.0%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

All I can tell you it's up an running as well as ever. Perhaps tomorrow will be a different story. ;)

BTW, the patches updated in just a few minutes this morning. I didn't have 100 to do though. Maybe 11.

Last edited:
Just now check. The 2 selected patches did not get installed. Windows Update came back, wanting to do the original list of 118 updates (573MB download).

I guess it's all or nothing, despite the option given to the user to choose.

PS. I am talking about patches to my Win 7 laptop, not a Win 10 update.

Last edited:
I did the "anniversary update" this morning. Be sure to set aside 2 hours for it to complete fully.

And yes, Windows 8 was a bad one too.
The numbers don't support any claim of similarity between Windows 8 and Windows 10. Window 10 had more of the Desktop OS market share within six months of release than Windows 8/8.1 ever had.

Microsoft isn't doing what others are doing, they are moving beyond that.
We'll have to agree to disagree about the significance of the distinctions you make.

I also don't understand your notion that Microsoft supposedly gave up on the browser and want 'low cost', if anything they very much want Edge to succeed since Internet Explorer lost the war.
Gosh no. If Microsoft wanted to win they'd have fixed IE and made it better, rather than giving it an end of life date and trying to push people onto a less functional browser. Edge grew out of the same concepts as Windows RT - "How can we conduct our business incurring less cost of maintenance and support?" The answer is to get rid of support for old technologies and forcing updates so you don't have to apply fixes to a plethora of codestreams.

Surprise! Windows 10 free upgrade is still available using Windows 7/8 product keys

On August 3, 2016 10:37 PDT, ZDNet reports the following:

In spite of the official end of the free Windows 10 update offer on July 29, it seems any valid Windows 7/8.x retail product key still installs Windows 10 for now.
Since I purchased a 3-pack of Windows 7 in a bigbox store back in the day, I may have to try this.

The question that I have is would I still have the Windows 10 entitlement for the machine loaded if I roll back to Win 7 for a while after the Win 10 upgrade.

-gauss

Last edited:
Since I purchased a 3-pack of Windows 7 in a bigbox store back in the day, I may have to try this.

The question that I have is would I still have the Windows 10 entitlement for the machine loaded if I roll back to Win 7 for a while after the Win 10 upgrade.

-gauss

I upgraded several OEM PCs ( HP, Dell ), after 0729, which require no key. They activated fine. I also have swapped the HD and done a clean install of W10 and they activated again. So it seems to still be working for any W7 product. I upgraded using media I created with their tool. Once your PC ( motherboard) is digitally activated it is good forever ( or at least until the rules change )

Gosh no. If Microsoft wanted to win they'd have fixed IE and made it better, rather than giving it an end of life date and trying to push people onto a less functional browser. Edge grew out of the same concepts as Windows RT - "How can we conduct our business incurring less cost of maintenance and support?" The answer is to get rid of support for old technologies and forcing updates so you don't have to apply fixes to a plethora of codestreams.

Edge is less functional because it wasn't fully ready when deployed. It's getting support for addins as we speak for example. That's also the reason why they kept internet explorer on board for now.
Windows 10 Anniversary Update: What's new with the Microsoft Edge browser

Getting rid of legacy support is a key thing indeed, but not because of cost savings. It's about speed, flexibility and reliability.

Easier to start over then to fix the clunky mess.

Edge is less functional because it wasn't fully ready when deployed. It's getting support for addins as we speak for example.
Not for the add-ins that were designed for IE. The APIs are much more limited.

And that's deliberate.

We complained. Respectfully. Then Microsoft made clear that they listened respectfully, and planned to do nothing in response to our complaints.

And it wasn't only extensibility; it affected backward compatibility. Legacy rendering modes, such as quirks, are simply not supported.

Getting rid of legacy support is a key thing indeed, but not because of cost savings.
Incorrect.

It's about speed, flexibility and reliability. Easier to start over then to fix the clunky mess.
And less costly to support.

Last edited:
Just about everyone I talk to uses the Chrome (or Firefox) browser in Win 10 (including this household). Glad they replaced IE with Edge so it makes our choice of browser very straightforward. ;)

And it would make our choice of browser to support very straightforward as well, if they didn't allow folks to install IE in Windows 10.

Microsoft releases a patch to remove the Win 10 free upgrade nagware from Win 7, 8.1 computers.
Note - the KB3184113 patch and the KB3186208 .NET reliability roll-up fix were found under the optional heading on my computers (set for manual updates).
Plus, two ways to get the free Win 10 upgrade for properly motivated individuals.

Microsoft has quietly excised Windows 10 free upgrade offers from Windows 7 and 8, aka the GWX.exe .
PCs running Windows 7 or 8.x and Windows Update will silently delete the nagware, thanks to a new update dubbed KB3184143.
Microsoft deletes Windows 10 nagware from Windows 7 and 8 • The Register

Microsoft To Finally Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Nagware From Windows 7, Windows 8.1 Computers : TECH : Tech Times

Last edited:
Has anybody experienced any problems with the recently released Windows 10 anniversary update version 1607 ? I upgraded a desktop and a laptop from win 7 back in March and I was beginning to get used to it until last week.

My desktop was updating windows 10 only to have a black screen with rolling dots for hours. I unplugged the computer then started up again and after a few attempts it restored my previous version and I was good until it attempted the update again the next night with the same outcome. Finally after a few reboots the old version has been restored and thankfully no new attempts to update to the new version for the last few days. This morning my laptop was attempting the upgrade and the same thing is happening for the last two hours, a black screen with rolling dots. Unfortunately Microsoft does not give you the option to opt out of the upgrade at least not that I know of.

Apparently lots of problems have been reported with this upgrade

Forbes Welcome

http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...inst-windows-10-anniversary-update-grows.html

Last edited:
I manually updated my desktop computer to the Anniversary version a couple months ago -- this machine started as a windows 7 machine and updated with each new version, i.e., this last update was from Windows 10 to the Anniversary version. I have had no problems of any kind during this time.

Yesterday, one of my laptops updated through the automatic update system. I have used the machine a little after the update completed and find no obvious problems.

I might mention that this update takes several hours to complete. I wasn't watching the process very closely yesterday (Bronco game took precedence) but it seemed like about five hours.

I would schedule a disk check, and reboot. My first guess is that a file error exists and Winderz cannot handle the problem.

I might mention that this update takes several hours to complete. I wasn't watching the process very closely yesterday (Bronco game took precedence) but it seemed like about five hours.

My desktop was upgrading overnight and was still stuck on the black screen with the rolling dots in the morning. My laptop has been upgrading for 4 hours now so I'll check it when I return from my tennis later tonight.

My desktop was upgrading overnight and was still stuck on the black screen with the rolling dots in the morning. My laptop has been upgrading for 4 hours now so I'll check it when I return from my tennis later tonight.

The black screen is not expected (nor desirable) behavior so something else is at play here. I would call the MS help desk -- did I see somewhere they provide free help with this upgrade?

Anyway, how did the laptop upgrade turn out?

F had the same problem with one of his computers that he had upgraded to W10, when it got the Anniversary Update I guess a week ago. He thought it was hung too, due to the black screen stuff, interrupted it and went back to no AU and so on and then finally tried letting it update again. It apparently finally did complete the update after hours and hours and hours, and I guess all is well now.

The Anniversary Update is so extensive that it is essentially a new operating system. Plus, Microsoft's servers must be pretty busy lately, I guess. It seems to be taking nearly forever to download it and then forever to install it after that.

I feel like Little Polly Perfect here, because the AU downloaded and installed so easily on my laptop. I guess it took no more than 2-3 hours all told, and everything worked perfectly afterwards. Maybe that was just luck of the draw, and/or maybe my luck is partly due to the fact that my laptop is pretty high end and zippy and had W10 pre-installed when I bought it.

Last edited:
Anyway, how did the laptop upgrade turn out?

The rolling dots were still rolling:LOL: when I returned last night so it was about 8 hours after the update started. I interrupted it again and it restored the earlier version.

I emailed Microsoft support and waiting for an answer.

Okay, I feel [-]risky[/-] confident. Gonna go ahead and start the anniversary update. Hopefully won't take too long without issue :).

Maybe that was just luck of the draw, and/or maybe my luck is partly due to the fact that my laptop is pretty high end and zippy and had W10 pre-installed when I bought it.

Browsing the Microsoft support discussion board it seems that most Anniversary upgrade problems are reported by people who upgraded from Win 7 or Win 8.1

Okay, just did the update. Took about 2 hrs for me. So far, so good. :)

Microsoft responded to my email with a few suggestions but none have worked. However, thanks to the posters on the Microsoft support site it turned out that my Logitech M325 wireless mouse was interfering with the installation. I removed the dongle from the USB port on my desktop and the update worked and installed in about 1.5 hours.

My laptop is in the update process after I removed the wireless mouse and so far it's going good.:dance:

Microsoft responded to my email with a few suggestions but none have worked. However, thanks to the posters on the Microsoft support site it turned out that my Logitech M325 wireless mouse was interfering with the installation. I removed the dongle from the USB port on my desktop and the update worked and installed in about 1.5 hours.

My laptop is in the update process after I removed the wireless mouse and so far it's going good.:dance:

:clap: :dance: So glad to read this! I'm hoping that is the end of the problem.

Browsing the Microsoft support discussion board it seems that most Anniversary upgrade problems are reported by people who upgraded from Win 7 or Win 8.1
That seems to be consistent with what I have heard, also. Honestly, with it pre-installed I have had zero problems with the operating system. Works like a charm, for me.

My main problem with Windows 10 has been the feeling (justified or not) that Microsoft could be sending information about me to themselves, to advertisers, and/or to various three letter agencies. I don't like the fact that we do not have an option to turn off the telemetry feedback to Microsoft without mucking around in the registry which I am not about to do. Their telemetry makes me feel like some perv is looking through my bedroom window, figuratively speaking. Now people tell me that this really isn't true and Microsoft has taken the high road and out of the goodness of their hearts has opted to not collect data that I wouldn't want them to collect, but I'm just slightly paranoid or at least perturbed about the possibility.

Count me in as one that has some issues with the anniversary update.

Among them, I have a program that is set to automatically start when Windows starts, but that doesn't work anymore.

More noticeable is the update messed up my power (sleep, hibernate) settings. I turned hibernate which helped some, but as for sleeping, I'll just say the computer is a bit restless :facepalm:.

Back
Top Bottom