Portable Blue tooth speakers

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm looking for a small portable blue tooth speaker to use with my computer, phone and tablet. Below $50. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I'm looking for a small portable blue tooth speaker to use with my computer, phone and tablet. Below $50. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I have an iHome speaker that works well. Convenient, cheap. Works well as a speaker phone. Not the best sound, but what do you expect for $20-$30.

Wonderboom 2 is $69, but definitely worth a glance.

Like my JBL Flip 5

I really like my JBL Flip too. But, the OP is trying to stay under $50. That’s a tough requirement.

If you intend to go outside with the speaker, you'll appreciate a more-powerful speaker, I think.

I participated in another thread or two about speakers, and posted a spreadsheet with information about more expensive Bluetooth speakers (like JBL Charge, which I purchased).

I have an iHome speaker that works well. Convenient, cheap. Works well as a speaker phone. Not the best sound, but what do you expect for $20-$30.

We have two iHomes. Cheap, easy to use.

Recently we got three Google mini's (~$25 each) so we don't use the iHomes as much but they're still great for outdoors, travelling, on the boat etc.

FWIW, the Google mini can also double as a BlueTooth speaker but you do have to be 'on network' etc.

Nyne Boost - $25 @ Big 5 when it goes on sale. You'll need to subscribe to their e-coupons. I've seen it advertised for $25 3 or 4 times since December.

Nyne Punch on sale now till 2/15 for $49.99 @ Big 5.

Last edited:
I have a Musky DY-22 Bluetooth speaker that has good sound despite it's small size:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Bluetooth-Acoustic-Handsfree-Speakerphone/dp/B071GGM7KJ

The Bluetooth works, but that's not why I chose it. It can play music from a micro-SD card, so I loaded the SD card with songs, and we use it during power outages. It also has an FM radio built-in if we get tired of listening to the same music all day. I've also taken it outside on the back patio a time or two during the summer.

I can recommend the Ultimate Ears bluetooth products. I have a Roll 2, which is great for traveling because it's shaped like a flying saucer so super easy to pack. But it's probably not the best form factor for a desktop use case. Take a look at their Wonderboom 2. The MAP price is $99, but I checked eBay and found a number of listings for "New - Other" units for around $60. You might also have good luck finding good Bluetooth speakers on FB or Craigslist that people are replacing because they got a "smart" speaker instead.

If you're not familiar with the brand, Ultimate Ears is named for their product line of personal In Ear monitors that are highly regarded by musicians. "In Ears" as they are referred to have all but replaced the large monitor wedges on stages, and performers really like the custom-molded Ultimate Ears' products. My point being that this is a company that cares about sound quality.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up choosing the Tribit. It's small, good sound, very portable, descent battery life, and about $33. So far I am very pleased with it.

I can recommend the Ultimate Ears bluetooth products. I have a Roll 2, which is great for traveling because it's shaped like a flying saucer so super easy to pack. But it's probably not the best form factor for a desktop use case. Take a look at their Wonderboom 2. The MAP price is $99, but I checked eBay and found a number of listings for "New - Other" units for around $60. You might also have good luck finding good Bluetooth speakers on FB or Craigslist that people are replacing because they got a "smart" speaker instead.

If you're not familiar with the brand, Ultimate Ears is named for their product line of personal In Ear monitors that are highly regarded by musicians. "In Ears" as they are referred to have all but replaced the large monitor wedges on stages, and performers really like the custom-molded Ultimate Ears' products. My point being that this is a company that cares about sound quality.

+1 on the ultimate ears products. I have the megaboom 3 portable bluetooth speaker and it has great sound. a little more expensive than the OP is looking for.

Another vote for Ultimate Ears. I have the MegaBoom 3 however, it's way out of the price range the OP is looking at.

Regardless of what you get, it's best to go to the store and listen to them in person. Saving a few $$ means little if you're disappointed with the sound quality/volume level.

I have the Anker Soundcore. I think it is a great little speaker; good sound and long battery life. It is only $22 from Amazon (link)

I have the Anker Soundcore. I think it is a great little speaker; good sound and long battery life. It is only $22 from Amazon (link)

That looks very good and many positive reviews.
I have a Bose mini sound linkII that was given to us as a Christmas gift. It does have very good sound but if I had to pay the $199 price myself probably would never have bought it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up choosing the Tribit. It's small, good sound, very portable, descent battery life, and about $33. So far I am very pleased with it.

I have one of these also and really like it.

Good choice. Originally recommended by RobbieB. I loved it so much I bought another but ended up with the larger StormBox model ~$60.

Back
Top Bottom