Question for those with EVs

TrvlBug

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I Googled but am unable to find anywhere the length of charging cords. We need 25 feet. I assume that's not a problem? When we get our second EV :D we'll need an even longer one! What lengths do they come in?

The mobile connector chord we use is 20 feet long. That’s longer than we actually need. At home we have something we can loop it around raised.

We have regular power chord extensions for both 50A 240V as well as 15A 110, so that’s one way to handle longer lengths.

Last edited:
OP - why do you need one so long?
Can you not install the charging part closer to where the vehicles will be parked, there is nearly no limit (practically speaking) on the distance the charging part can be from the service panel.

Off topic, but has anyone figured out what it costs to charge a car that is almost empty to full? I've heard all kinds of things but just curious. Somewhere I read that it was like running 10 air conditioners.

Off topic, but has anyone figured out what it costs to charge a car that is almost empty to full? I've heard all kinds of things but just curious. Somewhere I read that it was like running 10 air conditioners.

Depends on a number of factors. Here's a calculator so you can run the numbers for yourself: https://evadept.com/calc/ev-charging-cost-calculator

One example: Charging a 2022 Chevy Bolt from 20% to 100% @ $0.07/kWh (my night rate) costs $3.70.

Last edited:
My model Y hold $4 of electricity and goes 300 miles on that. Our off peak is $.06 per KWH.

Depends on a number of factors. Here's a calculator so you can run the numbers for yourself: https://evadept.com/calc/ev-charging-cost-calculator

One example: Charging a 2022 Chevy Bolt from 20% to 100% @ $0.07/kWh (my night rate) costs $3.70.

My model Y hold $4 of electricity and goes 300 miles on that. Our off peak is $.06 per KWH.

REWahoo and MRG, you have much lower rates where you are then here in NJ. my off peak rate is about $0.13/Kwh.
Still, these rates beat Superchargers or filling our two EVs with gas!

At the other end a commercial charging station near San Francisco is $0.59 kWh

REWahoo and MRG, you have much lower rates where you are then here in NJ. my off peak rate is about $0.13/Kwh.
Still, these rates beat Superchargers or filling our two EVs with gas!

+1

Our off-peak rate in summer (June 1 - Oct 1) is actually $0.068 kWh (peak is $0.144). It increases to $0.074 kWh (peak is $0.088) the rest of the year.

Not sure how long the Co-op's rate contract with the supplier runs but we are going to enjoy it while we can!

We just received our build date and expect the car next April :dance:. DH is of course, now getting frantic about the charging station!

Our garage is a 3 bay garage with the EV being located in the middle bay. It's about 23.5' from the driver's side 'tank' to the wall where the panels are located. We've already installed the 2 panels with the electrician awaiting the model of the car to complete the installation. The bay to the right where the panel is located, is only good for storage or a super short car due to the location of the HVAC system. The single bay to the left is narrow and we prefer to store the smaller car there. We'll talk to the electrician about installing a charging station on that side. We assumed it would be too difficult but if not, that's the way to go...BTD :LOL:.

Good to know about the extension cords audreyh1.

We expect our EV November or December, it is currently being built.

We have a tethered lead smart charger, lead is around 25'. During the winter months the car will be parked in the garage with the charge port at the back of the garage, the rest of the time it will be on the driveway with the charge port outside of the garage, the cable lying under the garage door during charging.

Cost to be determined and will vary depending on the sunshine. The charger can be set to charge the batteries using the excess electricity generated by the house solar panels, at a rate not exceeding what would otherwise go to the grid.

Wind could also be a factor. A couple of days ago it was very windy so I got an alert from my charger app, which is coupled to my energy supplier, that between the hours of midnight and 4:30am it was negative pricing so we would be paid for using electricity. I set our solar panel batteries to fully charge but this would also have been a good time to charge the car if I had one.

My sister doesn't have solar panels so she has a deal where she charges her EV between the hours of 00:30 and 04:30 every night at £0.075/kWh.

We expect our EV November or December, it is currently being built.

Nice to have something to look forward to!

I found it (waiting to receive our EV) to be an entirely new auto buying experience. It was the first time that I'd purchased a vehicle and had to wait months for it. That 60 year "instant gratification" habit was deeply ingrained!

We have a tethered lead smart charger, lead is around 25'. During the winter months the car will be parked in the garage with the charge port at the back of the garage, the rest of the time it will be on the driveway with the charge port outside of the garage, the cable lying under the garage door during charging.

Same here.

We park and charge the EV in the garage except in the summer when temps exceed the mid 90's, roughly four months of the year. Our garage is on the west side of the house and can get very hot in the afternoon. If the internal battery temperature gets above 90F the EV "conditions" the battery* by activating the battery cooling system. This cools the battery but pours additional heat into the garage, making the battery cooling system work even harder.

To help alleviate some of this, we will park/charge the car in the driveway, under the shade of a tree, and run the charge cord under the closed garage door.

* If internal battery temp nears freezing the EV will activate to warm the battery. That's something that I expect will be a rare occurrence in these parts.

We just received our build date and expect the car next April :dance:. DH is of course, now getting frantic about the charging station!

Our garage is a 3 bay garage with the EV being located in the middle bay. It's about 23.5' from the driver's side 'tank' to the wall where the panels are located. We've already installed the 2 panels with the electrician awaiting the model of the car to complete the installation. The bay to the right where the panel is located, is only good for storage or a super short car due to the location of the HVAC system. The single bay to the left is narrow and we prefer to store the smaller car there. We'll talk to the electrician about installing a charging station on that side. We assumed it would be too difficult but if not, that's the way to go...BTD :LOL:.

Good to know about the extension cords audreyh1.

How about running the electric wires along the ceiling and then run down a post beside where the middle car will park, or run the wires down the front wall in the middle of the garage right in front of the car.

I found it (waiting to receive our EV) to be an entirely new auto buying experience. It was the first time that I'd purchased a vehicle and had to wait months for it. That 60 year "instant gratification" habit was deeply ingrained!

Couldn’t agree more!! Still won’t believe it until it actually arrives.

Back
Top Bottom