recently deleted apps killing my iphone se battery

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I bought and iphone se in 2022. just recently the battery drains quickly and takes a long time to charge. under the battery usage in the settings it says that the majority of the battery is being used by recently deleted apps. has anyone here had this problem and if so what did you do to correct it? thanks

frank

I bought and iphone se in 2022. just recently the battery drains quickly and takes a long time to charge. under the battery usage in the settings it says that the majority of the battery is being used by recently deleted apps. has anyone here had this problem and if so what did you do to correct it? thanks

frank

No, but I have the same phone and will be curious how you get it fixed. Might it still be under 1 year warranty?

Ok, you made me look. My SE is a few years old but I like it. I looked at Settings/Battery then they have links to analyze your battery’s health, the links to make an appointment at a preferred provider, which I just did for Saturday at a Best Buy. All very slick and easy in the Apple way. Thanks for the nudge, as I’m going abroad soon and need a good battery.

No, but I have the same phone and will be curious how you get it fixed. Might it still be under 1 year warranty?

it just passed the 1 year warranty on september 22. the battery app says capacity is 99% so I don't think it is the battery, just some drain that I can't find. are you getting a new battery or just having yours checked? how much did it say they charge for this service? battery? tuneup? thanks

Locations enabled will drain the battery quicker than anything. Close all your open browser screens regularly.

Last edited:
Locations enabled will drain the battery quicker than anything. Close all your open browser screens regularly.

Yes, location is a big deal for battery drain. Even if I don't use my phone at the ranch it uses a lot of battery. The service is very iffy there and most time NO Service indication.

I'm confused - how can a deleted app drain the battery?

Two possibilities come to mind (I'm on Android, but this is probably similar on iPhone):

1) The apps aren't really deleted? Maybe you just removed the icons/shortcuts to them from the home screen? Make sure you really deleted/removed the app itself from the device (maybe Apple users can give you the specifics, or search online).

2) If they really are deleted, is the usage still in the history? If so, that should clear out over time. Are you still seeing it drain quickly?

If all else fails, try a factory reset, but be prepared with what you need to do to get everything back the way you want.

edit/add: OP: Which apps specifically are listed as high drain? And would location services be listed if that was the cause as some suggested, or does that just get lumped under "System" or some-such?

-ERD50

Location services is a separate toggle. See photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 39
When my iPhone battery seems to be draining fast and I can't locate the villain, I turn my phone off and then back on. That usually stops the problem. Off/On seems to be the electronic version of 'sharpening the saw'.

My wife’s SE had this problem there was a handshaking problem with WiFi . Resetting the router would fix it.

Also, turn off and turn on the phone.

Some folks (like me) leave the phone on for weeks at a time, maybe months.. At times I've noticed my phone go wonky in some respect.

A turn off/on solves it.

While OP may have deleted some app, if the app was already running and totally in memory, then it could still be running until the phone is restarted.

.... While OP may have deleted some app, if the app was already running and totally in memory, then it could still be running until the phone is restarted.

Ahhh, that could be.

Which reminds me, I should power cycle our phones now, before I forget. I'm sure it's been a while.

-ERD50

The "long time to charge" had me thinking you may have a faulty charger and/or charging cable. Sometimes, the lightning port will get gunk in it and either prevent charging or make the charging sporadic.

But the fact that you have "deleted" apps draining the battery quickly, odds are the charging is taking a long time because it is discharging a lot simultaneously.

There are multiple threads on this in Apple’s community forum. Many of them don’t indicate an answer, but if you read several of them, you can see what’s happening.

1. When an app gets updated with a new version by the creator, the old version is called a “deleted app”. So the app does not need to be deleted by the owner of the phone to be in this category.

2. The iOS Battery setting screen show usage for the previous 24 hours or 10 days. Over either of those periods, many apps may have been automatically updated. The old version’s usage gets lumped into the category seen by the OP. The new/current version of the app would show up in the list by name.

Rebooting the phone won’t clear this out. But turning off automatic updates for apps should. But it would take 24 hours or 10 days to fall off the respective list in the battery usage.

It would seem that something else is causing the recent drop in battery life.

Also, have you looked at the Battery Health & Charging settings in the Battery setting? I believe Apple has recently tweaked these. To extend battery life.

Last edited:
Yes, location is a big deal for battery drain. Even if I don't use my phone at the ranch it uses a lot of battery. The service is very iffy there and most time NO Service indication.
It is my understanding that cell phones always want to be connected to a cell site/aka tower. When coverage is nonexistent or marginal, the phone calls out, looking for a tower, more frequently. Hence battery drain. The workaround is to power down the phone when it is in a no-signal area.

GPS will also increase battery drain; it is another radio receiver running in the phone.

Rather than powering down the phone when in a no service area would putting it on airplane mode work to keep the battery drain down?

it just passed the 1 year warranty on september 22. the battery app says capacity is 99% so I don't think it is the battery, just some drain that I can't find. are you getting a new battery or just having yours checked? how much did it say they charge for this service? battery? tuneup? thanks

The Settings/Battery utility says my “Battery is Degraded.” So Best Buy will probably install a new one on Saturday. I’ll report back on cost.

Also, in addition to Location Services, closing all the open programs and other suggestions, I don’t think anyone mentioned turning off Blue Tooth when not in use, which is another power hog.

Rather than powering down the phone when in a no service area would putting it on airplane mode work to keep the battery drain down?
On Android there is a battery saver mode. I'm sure something exists like that in iOS.

In Airplane Mode your networks shut off (LAN, cell, bluetooth). WIth battery save, you still have connectivity.

I turn off all automatic updating. Yes, the app list is long indeed.

I'd think for most that Display time is the biggest drain. So you have features to optimize screen brightness, and so on.

I also have an SE that is much older than yours and I don’t have this issue.
After deleting apps, did you power down the phone?
Also, try turning off Bluetooth.

just to bring everyone up to date. I deleted some apps on my phone and under battery usage it had a big battery power draw for a couple days labeled deleted apps. I tried some of the suggestions here and don't actually know if they worked or not but the deleted app drawdown and the deleted apps went away after a couple days. thanks for the help.

For my series 2 iPhone SE, which indicated Settings/Battery/Your Battery is Degraded, I made an appt at Best Buy with Geek Squad. They installed a new battery for $70.

Back
Top Bottom