Smartwatch Recommendation for Newbie?

Marita40

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The most recent thread on this seems to be from 2019, so I thought I'd ask the question anew. I've never had a smartwatch. I live alone and am in good health in my 60s, but thought it might be prudent now that I'm retired and don't have to show up anywhere every day. That is, if I fall and can't move, I could at least if not unconscious make a call to 911 from the smartwatch--that kind of thing. But if I'm going to invest in one, I wonder which will provide me with the most bang for the buck. Fitness/activity tracker? Blood pressure/oxygen or other health measurements? What else should I look for? Just want this group's recommendations before I start wading into all the information and hype out there! Thanks.

The most recent thread on this seems to be from 2019, so I thought I'd ask the question anew. I've never had a smartwatch. I live alone and am in good health in my 60s, but thought it might be prudent now that I'm retired and don't have to show up anywhere every day. That is, if I fall and can't move, I could at least if not unconscious make a call to 911 from the smartwatch--that kind of thing. But if I'm going to invest in one, I wonder which will provide me with the most bang for the buck. Fitness/activity tracker? Blood pressure/oxygen or other health measurements? What else should I look for? Just want this group's recommendations before I start wading into all the information and hype out there! Thanks.

I think the most bang for the buck comes using a smartwatch that is paired with a smartphone and Apps on that smartphone. What phone do you use? If you use an Apple iPhone, then an Apple Watch is likely your best bet.

I'm not sure any of them RELIABLY measure blood pressure yet. But perhaps I'm wrong.

If you are not an iphone/apple user, then that's a big A vs. B thing. If you're apple, then go the apple watch.

But if you're android/windows/other, let us know because that will help avoid getting 183 replies endorsing the apple watch. (ok you'll still get 180....)

I agree that the Apple Watch is amazing (many of us here use one), but you do want to pair it with an iPhone. So that's your first decision: which type of phone are you using?

Yes, I should have clarified. I currently have an iphone 6. I'm usually several models behind the current one so am not and will probably never be up to date.

Yes, I should have clarified. I currently have an iphone 6. I'm usually several models behind the current one so am not and will probably never be up to date.

From Apple's website...

"Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch SE, and Apple Watch Series 3 require an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14 or later."

I've lost track of older iPhones. I don't know if iPhone 6s is the same thing as an iPhone 6. It seems like the 6s was a model after the 6. So your phone might now even support the current Apple Watch.

Plus, there is a new Apple Watch likely to release this fall. If you decide to go the Apple route, I'd suggest you wait for its release and then get a new phone and watch at the same time. Blow that dough!

....Plus, there is a new Apple Watch likely to release this fall. If you decide to go the Apple route, I'd suggest you wait for its release and then get a new phone and watch at the same time. Blow that dough!

+1. And get the AirPods Pro too if you really want to blow some dough.

I had several Garmin watches before I got my Apple Watch. The Apple Watch is the best smartwatch that I've had. And I'm barely using it to its fullest capabilities. Integrates very well with an iPhone. Too many features to mention in this post.

But to OP's desire to dial 911, if you fall, an SOS screen comes up that allows you to simply get help by pushing 1 button.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 9.03.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 9.03.01 AM.png
    844.9 KB · Views: 21
Hmm, well, I'm not sure I will ever have the mindset needed to always have the latest iphone to support the latest smartwatch but perhaps I'll get in the Blow That Dough! mentality eventually. Love the 1 button SOS screen!

I'm a Android phone user and bought a Garmin Forerunner 245 6 mnths ago and love it, does way more than i need ,and was $270.00 new from Amazon. Does have the sos feature as well. Just my $.02

Hmm, well, I'm not sure I will ever have the mindset needed to always have the latest iphone to support the latest smartwatch but perhaps I'll get in the Blow That Dough! mentality eventually. Love the 1 button SOS screen!

You won’t need the latest iPhone to support the Apple Watch. Until recently I was using an iPhone 7s with my Apple Watch 4. It’s just the the iPhone 6 is too “old”.

The Apple devices work seamlessly together. If you are going to stay with an iPhone, buy a more recent model then go ahead and get the Apple Watch. The ease of integration is worth ant premium you may pay.

You don't need the latest iPhone but an iPhone 6 is too far back. If you were to get a new phone/watch this fall then you wouldn't have to replace either for several years.

If you get an iPhone I recommend getting the larger one. I bought the smaller (because female) for my first one but last time moved up. I like the larger screen. You can get a cellular and non-cellular version. With the cellular one you can pay a phone carrier (Usually $10 a month) so that it functions like your phone even if your phone is not close to you. For example, one time I left my phone at a friend's house. I called her from my watch when I got home to tell her I was coming back for it. I like that feature. Others don't care about it.

I do enjoy the iPhone for a lot of things. However, I find its fitness related stuff very bad. It routinely has me burning over 300 calories more a day than a really burn. I also wear a Fitbit tracker on my other arm just for the fitness related stuff. But, not everyone cares about the fitness related thing.

You won’t need the latest iPhone to support the Apple Watch. Until recently I was using an iPhone 7s with my Apple Watch 4. It’s just the the iPhone 6 is too “old”.

The Apple devices work seamlessly together. If you are going to stay with an iPhone, buy a more recent model then go ahead and get the Apple Watch. The ease of integration is worth ant premium you may pay.

I agree. Phone and watch purchase can be done separately. I use an iPhone 8 and like it a lot, especially for wireless charging and NFC support, neither of which were available with the 5S that it replaced.

I’d be interested in the SE but would wait to see what Apple announces later this year not only for phones but also wearables/watches.

[ADDED] Unfortunately, one has to get out of the mindset that any of these devices are “buy once, use for years and years”. You can probably hobble along and wring some more use from an obsolete device but that can be more hassle than it’s worth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom