Streaming TV and DVR?

OP here. Thanks to all for the input, it's been helpful. I'm a little surprised there has been this much variance in experience & opinion, but that's par for the course with tech transitions, I guess.

One question for those who use YTTV: what is the available quality of transmission - i.e. HD, 4K, UHD, HDR...if I buy a fancy-schmancy new TV that supports these formats will it benefit?

In truth these aging eyeballs might know the difference anyway, but would just like to know.

OP here. Thanks to all for the input, it's been helpful. I'm a little surprised there has been this much variance in experience & opinion, but that's par for the course with tech transitions, I guess.

One question for those who use YTTV: what is the available quality of transmission - i.e. HD, 4K, UHD, HDR...if I buy a fancy-schmancy new TV that supports these formats will it benefit?

In truth these aging eyeballs might know the difference anyway, but would just like to know.
I’m a Hulu Live user instead of YTTV, but no live broadcast TV is in 4K/UHD. Much of live broadcast TV is 720p HD, not even 1020p HD. What little 4K there is, is on free YouTube or some Netflix movies. 4K may become more common, but I don’t think it will happen quickly, so buying a “fancy-schmancy” 4K TV is more future proofing than a current need. And 4K/UHD requires about 4x the bandwidth vs HD, so that’ll be a consideration eventually.

If you buy a new TV, I’d pay attention to refresh rate too. If you watch sports, you’ll probably want 60 if not 120 Hz minimum, even though most broadcasts are still 30 Hz.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom