The 2019 cell/smart phone plan thread

I have 9 phones on a 30 GB w/rollover shared AT&T family plan. The per (smartphone) device cost is $15.00 + fees and the shared 30GB costs about $9.5x per line (after my ex-employers discount), which works out to about $32-$33 per line all in. We never have had an issue going over the data limit, as these are mostly adults.

I've also used Cricket on multiple lines (ATT network), and it works fine (and their pricing is all inclusive, i.e. no extra taxes/fess listed). Download speeds are limited (8 Mb/sec) but not really noticeable in every day use.

A while back Mint Mobile had a deal for 3 months for $20 (plus taxes). I picked up a couple of these for another phone. Unfortunately, the T-mobile network around here is spotty (including around my house). But, when it was able to get a signal, it download speeds were pretty good (like right down the street when I went out for walks). They currently have a buy 3 months, get 6 deal going on (see slickdeals).

I am about to try out Net10 (using Verizon towers) on another phone that is currently on Verizon prepaid. Unlimited call, text and 1 GB/month for around $13.35/month (was a slickdeal I picked up a couple months ago).

Red Pocket looks very interesting. Thanks to all who posted their experience with them. At first glance, I had dismissed Red Pocket due to annual plans sold on ebay, which sounded iffy. Upon further research, they are obviously legit and very promising for our needs.

I like that they sell all 4 major networks. My phone is GSM only. But DW's is CDMA or GSM. For best coverage when traveling and camping, I was thinking we could get a Verizon SIM for DW and AT&T for me.

If we went with the annual plan, it would be 5GB on AT&T and 2GB on Verizon, all for $19.54 per line per month, no extra taxes or fees. The equivalent monthly plan would be ~$5 more, but includes 3GB on Verizon. Either way, that's slightly cheaper than Airvoice 6GB (really 3GB of 4G LTE) and Good2go 3GB... and includes a bit more data overall.

Interestingly, it's almost exactly the same as our average Ting bill over the last 5-6 years... but with a LOT more data. Until recently, we typically used less than 1GB combined on Ting. Plus we'll get much better coverage compared to Sprint and T-Mobile. I really like the idea of one of us on Verizon and one on AT&T, but with one account at the same MVNO.

If I understand correctly, the base rate for this plan is $45. So only $4.42 in taxes and junk fees? Not bad.
Wrong! It's less than what I stated!

My plan:
$19/mo unlimited talk
$9.50 2 GB
$9.50 unlimited text
-$1.75 AARP discount
$10.66 taxes and fees
$46.91

I originally stated:
Originally Posted by Rianne
Consumer Cellular, including taxes and fees
-2 lines
-2 GB data
-text and talk unlimited
$49.42

Last edited:
I have a lot of fatigue after looking at all these plans. I actually work up last night thinking about it. Darned if it wasn't like what used to happen during my w*rk years.

I'm tempted to try T-MO just because it is easy (physical store nearby). Although, if I want to switch to VZW's network, Total Wireless also has a store.

Red Pocket looks really intriguing and has popped to the top of my list. I can use the AT&T network which I know. But then you read a review at Clark Howard and some guy couldn't get his phone to work right with it. Voice quality issues. What the heck.

Here's a bonus. Red Pocket probably has the best rating on the BBB site I've seen. Reading BBB for the rest of the MVNOs and carriers just gives you nightmares.

What to do. What to do.

Really interested in any more Red Pocket experiences out there.

Last edited:
My $4.17 a month AT&T 1GB data unlimited voice and text from Best Buy on Freedompop was bought out by Red Pocket. I was sure that this would be a cluster**** but works great no problem. I still have a 8 prepaid months and I may just stay with them.

Well, so far Puretalkusa has been great. Ordered my new phone (Motorola Moto e5 play) last Thursday (14 yr old flip had worn out internal charger, so even with a newish battery, was a bear to charge) and it arrived on Friday. Puretalkusa dealt directly with AT& T and my number was ported over first thing Monday morning. Used Bluetooth to get all my photos and contacts off the old flip, just as its charge ran down for the last time (RIP to my trusty old pantech P2000 :( ) Service (AT & T MNVO) has been great, super good call quality, and net $12 less per month than my old AT&T, so will recoup the phone cost in a yr or so. Best part is consumer support is all US based. I've only called them once, and that was before I paid, just to understand and confirm how easy the phone number porting would be.

Tmobile 1gb of data on my business plan. Works for 4 of the 6 subscribers I have..however the 2 with the latest smart phones keep exceeding the 1gb data limit about 2/3 of the way through the month

Solution, use WiFi + less browsing + suffer for the 1/3 of the month until it becomes a safety concern. Issues with GPS and maps after the data gets throttled.

But at $35/a line I will take it.

My Puretalkusa plan has 2 GB data for a total of just under $28 per month, and they do not cut you off if you exceed before the end of the month, but drop your speed to I think 128 kb, or some such thing. i doubt i will exceed, but both the US support, and the fact they dont stop data altogether were what drove me to them, plus a few other minor things

For us the T-mobile 55+ plan has been great.
I’m still working and traveling internationally from the US - free wifi on planes has been a wonderful convenience and using the phones internationally has been trouble free.

We have had Consumer Cellular for the past few years. Two owned phones with unlimited talk and texts and 2GB data between the two. With all added taxes, fees, etc and AARP discount our average bill is $54.26/month. Federal fees are $3.18, State taxes and fees are $8.61. Never had any problems with service, dropped calls, customer service issues, etc. They have been a great carrier for our needs. Interesting to read other comments. Learning a lot.

Red Pocket looks really intriguing and has popped to the top of my list. I can use the AT&T network which I know. But then you read a review at Clark Howard and some guy couldn't get his phone to work right with it.

Be aware that features on some MVNO's may be restricted or unavailable, such as visual voicemail, mobile hotspot, call forwarding, WiFi calling and MMS. On several MVNO's, including Red Pocket, using an iPhone on the AT&T network will not allow picture messaging or group texting (MMS).

I use an unlocked iPhone on Red Pocket but chose the Verizon network so MMS would work. I chatted with them to enable visual voicemail and mobile hotspot. The Operator Profiles at https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2012/03/prepaid-operator-profile-red-pocket.html show what features are supported.

Last edited:
We are long time AT&T users. Thing is AT&T lacks coverage in some areas. Two Iphone 5s, and one 5. The gal has 64 Gigs on her 5S and has it pretty loaded with music and pictures. I am a light user, the duty rental phone gets a huge amount of texting. Visual voice mail is required, and Verizon seems to have much better coverage. We are all pretty used to Iphones. Currently spending about $112/month with AT&T for the three phones with six Gigs of data and roll over. Thinking it is about time to step up to Iphone 6, and that might be a good time to swap providers. Wouldn't mind spending less on our provider.

Be aware that features on some MVNO's may be restricted or unavailable, such as visual voicemail, mobile hotspot, call forwarding, WiFi calling and MMS. On several MVNO's, including Red Pocket, using an iPhone on the AT&T network will not allow picture messaging or group texting (MMS).

I use an unlocked iPhone on Red Pocket but chose the Verizon network so MMS would work. I chatted with them to enable visual voicemail and mobile hotspot. The Operator Profiles at https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2012/03/prepaid-operator-profile-red-pocket.html show what features are supported.
Yes, the MVNOs add their own accents, much of which is not necessarily good. I'm finding that out more and more as I dig deep.

OK, so my Republic Wireless SIM showed up today, after 3 days of the USPS moving it back and forth around the state, with the trucks apparently driving within 5 miles of my house back and forth between Raleigh and Greensboro. (Imoldernu had a recent thread about this happening in Illinois too. Crazy USPS.)

Popped the SIM in my older Moto G-play, which was designated "OK" by their tool. Downloaded the App from Wifi, and with a few clicks I had voice, text and data. It was incredibly easy.

The Sim ICCID says I'm on the T-MO network, which is good because I want to check coverage. (Republic puts you either on TMO or SPRINT, depending on various factors.)

Republic does this WIFI calling first thing, with hand off to cell. I walked and drove around a bit and it seems to work. I'm going to play with this for a few weeks before I'm convinced the service is cool. If it is, I'll probably need 2GB which will come to about $29 per month. Not sure it would be worth the savings of $11 per month (2 lines) if I instead just go directly with T-MO's 55+ plan which has no caps, and of course is the mothership network first in line ahead of the MVNOs.

We'll see. The key for me is how is TMO's coverage in my typical use? We'll find out.

Last edited:
We are long time AT&T users. Thing is AT&T lacks coverage in some areas. Two Iphone 5s, and one 5. The gal has 64 Gigs on her 5S and has it pretty loaded with music and pictures. I am a light user, the duty rental phone gets a huge amount of texting. Visual voice mail is required, and Verizon seems to have much better coverage. We are all pretty used to Iphones. Currently spending about $112/month with AT&T for the three phones with six Gigs of data and roll over. Thinking it is about time to step up to Iphone 6, and that might be a good time to swap providers. Wouldn't mind spending less on our provider.

I'd recommend taking a look at Visible. Visible is owned by Verizon, so it isn't MVNO as I understand it. It mainly works with iPhones. DH loves his iPhone on the plan, but if you don't need a lot of data you probably want something cheaper.

Looks like I'm not the only one who has discovered Red Pocket Mobile! I use their $15/month plan (I think taxes are like 72 cents) for 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 1 GB data. The data is tricky for me but I ration it and make it work. I have to use GPS for my job with traffic data so that eats a fair amount.

DH is a heavy user, and I found Visible a flat $40 for unlimited everything works great for him. The hotspot allows tethering, so I connect to his phone for my wifi whenever we're both home to save my data.

You could upgrade to 5GB/month of data (AT&T/Sprint networks) for $240/year:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Mo-Red-...an-Kit-Unlmtd-Everything-5GB-LTE/133058350672

My $4.17 a month AT&T 1GB data unlimited voice and text from Best Buy on Freedompop was bought out by Red Pocket. I was sure that this would be a cluster**** but works great no problem. I still have a 8 prepaid months and I may just stay with them.

Yeah you can still find them at retail stores...I just picked up one for $38 after tax at Target.

Unlimited talk/text. 1GB/month LTE data, AT&T network.

Will pop it into an iPad (just for data)

T-Mobile 55+ fan here. DH and I travel a lot and find great global service, with reasonable add on fees for voice calls only. Free limited WiFi in-flight is a bonus as are some of the"T-Mobile Tuesday" offerings, such as 10¢/gallon off at Shell stations.

That said, I’d like to have an unlimited plan that would allow me to use Google Maps and Waze on CarPlay [without fretting about data charges]. Maybe on my upcoming road trip I’ll just do that and see how much data I rack up. For the occasional trip it will likely come out ahead just paying for the extra data now and then.

Be sure to download custom offline maps in google maps which you cannot do in waze

My DW and I have been using RW since 2013 - We have an old MotoX and MotoE4 plus and use less than 1GB of data. Our average cost is about $40 a month for both phones. The MotoX is on one of their original plans, where I get a rebate back for any unused Data. I average about $15 a month for the MotoX.

I called my family from New Zealand via wireless - clear as day, no issues. Cell coveage can be spotty though. The handoff from cell to wireless or wireless to cell seems to work ok, but its not something we do typically. When it does happen I may get a momentary drop and/or the volume goes up on the call, but I don't lose the call.

Last edited:
Yeah you can still find them at retail stores...I just picked up one for $38 after tax at Target.

Unlimited talk/text. 1GB/month LTE data, AT&T network.

Will pop it into an iPad (just for data)

I actually got my last one at Best Buy online for $35 no tax but I didn't want to brag.

I use Spectrum. since I use Spectrum for WiFi, the phone (brought my own unlocked iPhone) service for unlimited text and voice with 1gig data is $14 a month including taxes.

Be careful of the service provider has towers where you will go. My previous carrier didn’t have towers where my son lives. Spectrum does.

Back
Top Bottom