travel computer/tablet?

I have a Surface Pro as well, and I'm generally very happy with it. I never detach the keyboard; if I want to use it as a tablet, the keyboard folds back and becomes a base for the stand. This holds the screen at a convenient angle for watching videos, etc.

I will say that many Windows apps do not work all that well with a touch screen. If what you want is a true tablet, you're better off with an iPad or Android equivalent. On the other hand, if you make frequent use of the keyboard, and/or need a full computer OS, then iPads, etc., won't cut it.

As others have pointed out, the Surface keyboard is not great, so if that's important, you're better off with a true laptop. There are 'convertible' laptops with non-detachable keyboards, that still fold back to use as a tablet ... the Dell XPS13 2-in-1 is an example. The keyboard on that machine is pretty decent.

The OP has to balance his or her needs.

A laptop with a good keyboard is great for entering a lot of text but if you're not typing a lot while traveling, you're carrying extra weight.

The 2 in 1 designs might be a good compromise but emphasis on compromise. If you expect to use tablet mode a lot, like in bed or anywhere other than where you'll have a table or a desk, then you may find in tablet mode, the device is heavier.

If you anticipate holding the device for extended periods, you'll find that ounces make a difference.

I have both an iPad and a couple of laptops. I take both on my trips, mainly the laptop as storage for photos from my DSLR but I do most of the browsing on the iPad because hotel rooms may or may not have a good desk.

At home, I use iPad daily along with my iMac while the laptops only once in awhile.

One thing I find is that there are far more iPad apps. for streaming or downloading video from teh various video services out there (Netflix, Amazon, Showtime, etc.).

Not the case with Mac or Windows though.

I just got the new Fire HD 10.1 inch tablet.
It was a super deal at $109 if I took a free month of Prime. (duh... yes free for $40 off).

It was great on a trip to download movies and shows to watch when on an isolated island (no electricity, no internet).

How long does the battery last with no electricity? Do you bring along a solar panel? :)

How long does the battery last with no electricity? Do you bring along a solar panel? :)

I never really timed how long the battery lasted, but I could watch hours of movies/shows for about 2 nights.

I would have to go by boat and then by auto to the town, where I could plug in and charge up while downloading new shows or movies, so that was about every 3 days.

However, next year I plan to bring a solar panel (100 watt) and charge controller plus a 12 volt battery, so I can charge up my tablet and phone on the island.

(I've read 1 book on solar power, so need to learn a lot more).

I may consider a Chromebook. Much cheaper.

Can I translate Excel and Word files into Google environment?

How are Chromebook generally for streaming video? I sometimes like to watch a Netflix show in bed at the end of the day.

I really like my Acer chromebook. You can "translate" Word & excel to Google docs. We are all on Google docs now.

streaming is fine. I watch football on Sling & series on Netflix

the chromebook picks up any connection you have entered once. So that helps a lot. You don't have to go hunting for the wifi hotspot

printing is a bit different. I tend to carry a usb stick and save a pdf to that. Then plug in & print. That was probably the hardest thing for me to change

OP, how long are your trips?

For under a month or two, just stick to your smart phone. Tablet/laptop are too heavy/bulky and your phone can do nearly just as much.

Over 2 months, Surface or Ipad pro, in addition to your smart phone.

Back
Top Bottom