Why get a stationary computer?

I have desktop but I also have an iPad which I use all over.

Also a laptop as well.

This really is the way forward. Laptop docks are very affordable now. The laptops themselves can be ordered with powerful graphics cards for video editing or gaming. The cons that I have seen are repair/upgradeability, heat, and noise.

My current laptop when gaming and all settings cranked has a large amount of fan noise due to the need to remove so much heat in a hurry. Smaller components in a small form factor make a lot of heat. However with the system set to silent and it throttling the processor in favor of lower fan noise the computer is inaudible.

Given the Pros and Cons I would rather have the option of taking the machine anywhere in the house or on vacation and also docking it when needed to have access to multiple monitors and a proper work area.
This never worked well for me. The laptop is always too heavy with short battery life. I have an LG Gram 17 which weights less than 3 lbs and has 9+ hours of battery (and a wonderful 16:10 screen). My desktop GPU pulls 200W, which no laptop GPU can do, afaik.

This never worked well for me. The laptop is always too heavy with short battery life. I have an LG Gram 17 which weights less than 3 lbs and has 9+ hours of battery (and a wonderful 16:10 screen). My desktop GPU pulls 200W, which no laptop GPU can do, afaik.

This is a matter of preference I guess. My Asus Rog Zephyrus is 3.64 lbs and the Radeon card has a maximum draw of 100watts. I would not do any real gaming on it without being plugged in because as you suggested battery life with everything set to maximum would be atrocious. However my original point was that it is one system that when docked can run AAA titles and 3d modeling but can also be taken with and the settings throttled to get outstanding battery life and a very capable system on the go. I would have to own two systems if this single computer were not so capable.

I have built my own computers since 1997. I like picking my own parts. I don't game but I like speed :). I am currently using one I built in 2016 running Windows 10 Pro but it won't support windows 11 :facepalm:. I would put the speed of it against most out there today. It will boot in less than 20 seconds.

I use a 32 inch TCL Roku TV for a monitor .

I am in the process of building another PC this year. I will use this one at my shop also using a 32 inch TV. Much better on an old person eyes from the distance I sit.

I have never bought a computer. I like building them plus I know how to work on them. I also have backup laptops people have given to me over the years. All have been upgraded with SS drives and ram. Don't use them much but I do use them on occasion

Back
Top Bottom