Why get a stationary computer?

What type of efficiency? What are you gaining?

You are putting wear and tear on the cooling fans, unnecessary hours on the power supply, just generally putting needless wear on electronic components.
The system is always on and available in an instant along with all the apps and webpage tabs that I have up all the time. Like I said, I used to shut down overnight on my home desktop, but that was more of a hassle and inconvenience. I've definitely preferred having it up all the time. My motherboard, processor, processor cooler, and original RAM DIMMS are all 12+ years old. The home theater desktop needs to be running in order to record things on schedule. It's all original and probably getting near 10 years old.

When the system is idle, the processor runs at a lower speed and runs cool and fans spin down, and the load on the power supply is low as well. I have had a switch fail on a monitor because I used to power it off completely overnight, and I've had mouses fail from use.

At work, we had the most failures in the morning on systems that people turned off completely. They would always fail first thing in the morning when they tried to power them up.

Last edited:
That has been my experience with electronic components - it's the starting surge that kills them.

The system is always on and available in an instant along with all the apps and webpage tabs that I have up all the time. Like I said, I used to shut down overnight on my home desktop, but that was more of a hassle and inconvenience. I've definitely preferred having it up all the time. My motherboard, processor, processor cooler, and original RAM DIMMS are all 12+ years old. The home theater desktop needs to be running in order to record things on schedule. It's all original and probably getting near 10 years old.

When the system is idle, the processor runs at a lower speed and runs cool and fans spin down, and the load on the power supply is low as well. I have had a switch fail on a monitor because I used to power it off completely overnight, and I've had mice fail from use.

At work, we had the most failures in the morning on systems that people turned off completely. They would always fail first thing in the morning when they tried to power them up.
This happens more often than not. It has to do with Failure Modes and other things I've forgotten about.

The power supply failing early used to be a major problem, but those have improved, as has power management by the components.

So, on most days, I choose to waste a little electricity over night. There is an expected life for each component, too, so I am shorting that. How long, I can't tell.

I have a laptop computer which I use for everything.

And two portable drives I use for a rotating backup scheme.

I see people here and elsewhere buying stationary desktop computers like iMacs or similar Microsoft variants.

What do you use those for that you cannot do on a laptop computer?

Just curious here - wondering if I am missing something :cool:

My tower is a gaming rig, it is a (very old and out of date now) beast. My Macbook Pro, while also a beast is not capable of running all the games at the quality I want to.

In the case of my next gaming rig, it will be substantially more powerful than my laptop, have better game compatibility, and be capable of running larger AI models (getting a 4090 graphics card unless I delay long enough to go with 50 series instead).

Now my both my wife and I have more laptops (both personal and work) than desktops in the house, but our gaming rigs are our primary machines (though hers is down, our attempts to resurrect it this weekend by replacing the PSU have got us power on the MB but it is failing to POST, fingers crossed swapping in new RAM fixes it).

Last edited:
Thank you all for lots of great ideas.

I especially like the thought of a larger screen.

I do not do much gamimg or video processing so perhaps a larger monitor for my laptop would be a nice way to start.

My work laptop is hooked up to a real mouse, an Apple Magic Keyboard, a dell monitor that is rotated 90 degrees and a 34" Samsung Ultrawide. The laptop works fine driving both displays for work and web surfing related stuff.

than a laptop or tablet, but as many of us have said, we don't need our laptops or tablets to do the really heavy lifting like video and extensive photo processing jobs that some folks have.

In my case that's part of what I upgraded to an M1 Macbook Pro to do, it's a beast for video editing. My new gaming rig will beat it out once I upgrade, but that's just the relentless march of time... :p

I'm old and have bad eyes so I have 2 Mac Studios and 3 32" 4K monitors. I also have a small Windows NUC-clone for ham radio all together in the same home office. I've got multiple monitor switchers so I can mix and match to 3 different compute nodes. I've also got a ton of external storage, mainly to store video and photo libraries, something on the order of 200TB at this point.

The first gen Mac Studio M1 Max does background photoshop and video editing stuff, the second gen Mac Studio M2 Ultra is my home base where I do most of my private home and development stuff on it. I also have Linux servers running in the garage that I access remotely. I also use a MacBook Pro for work and I have a personal 14" M2 MacBook Pro for travel. The screen is small and difficult to read so it is just used for travel and portable work like programming my ECU and other tasks where a laptop is required.

I am a power user and write code and do extensive photo and video editing so I need to horsepower. I used to use i7 hardware but the power and heat requirements were crazy and used to heat up the home office. Macs with Apple Silicon barely move the needle in terms of power and cooling required. I'm a old/experienced software engineer by profession so I'm used to having a lot of compute power around and as I reached FI status I've been able to afford having it at home instead of using cloud services to do my development.

I also host quite a bit of public, legal bittorrent such as open source distributions and other non-illegal software, thanks to ATT fiber.

Even though I have a relatively beefed up MacBook Pro, it doesn't handle CAD / photoshop / video editing of large files. My Mac Studio M1 Max handles these applications better, but I'm thinking about BTD'ing into an Apple Mac Pro with the M2 Ultra.

Even when I was working, I had top of the line HP laptops that were good for portability, but couldn't handle design files like the desktops in the office.

And now I need the extra power more than I need portability, so a desktop best fits the bill.

I have both. The computer is connected to my 75" TV which is used as a monitor. It's also connected to the receiver so that we can listen to music and YouTube from the house speakers. I operate it from my recliner with a cordless keyboard and mouse.

I have a laptop that we take to the cabin and when traveling.

I have an HP all-in-one 24 inch system. I've read a lot of the posts here and still want a very compact desktop system because:

1) Want a large screen for some spreadsheet work and general viewing.
2) Do not have the room for a docking station and the wires.
3) Ergonomics of sitting at a desk are better for long sessions.

For the easy chair I have a low cost HP chromebook which has worked out well. It can also double for domestic car traveling if needed. For international travel we just will be carrying our phones.

I'll have to replace the all-in-one within a year or so since it will not run Windows 11, ugh. In that case I'll go to a 27 inch all-in-one. This system looks good if I were buying today:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-all-in-one-27-cr0000t-27-946d3av-1

I'll have to replace the all-in-one within a year or so since it will not run Windows 11, ugh.

There are ways to install Windows 11 on devices that aren't supported by default, if you want to look into that.

I have a W10 desktop that I have had for 14 years. It is still going strong. I use this often....I like the 27" flat screen. When and if it dies I am not certain what I will do. It will depend on the tech at that time.

We also have a laptop that we very seldom use from one year to the next.

We both have ipads that we use extensively at home and for travel.

There are ways to install Windows 11 on devices that aren't supported by default, if you want to look into that.

I have seen a bit on that on the web. Thanks but I'll stick with fully supported methods and it will be about the upgrade interval anyway. No desire to take heroic measures. Also going to a 27 inch from a 24 inch monitor would be a plus.

Had an old 2012 Mac mini, ran flawlessly for many years with an added SSD & RAM but couldn't run 2023 Turbotax (rats!) got a new M2 Mac mini and told them 'see you in 10 years'. DW has a laptop if I need it occasionally but I love my mini with a real keyboard and monitor. Keep all my music there and access it for SONOS system.

The Tradition video brought back memories of when it first came out. Loved it!!

I've never had a laptop.
I've had a laptop for years but it is mainly for travel. I have almost never used it at home. But I can't take my desktop on vacation so I take the laptop. For quick trips, like one or two nights, I'll manage with just my phone, but if we're going away any longer than that, I want an actual computer with a keyboard and a mouse. We'll also use it when we're away to stream video to the TV with an HDMI cable. At home, I really have no need for the laptop since I have the desktop system.

Had an old 2012 Mac mini, ran flawlessly for many years with an added SSD & RAM but couldn't run 2023 Turbotax (rats!) got a new M2 Mac mini and told them 'see you in 10 years'. DW has a laptop if I need it occasionally but I love my mini with a real keyboard and monitor. Keep all my music there and access it for SONOS system.

I'm still using a PC from 2014, but I really should get a new one before it decides to die.

I'm still using a PC from 2014, but I really should get a new one before it decides to die.
That's 2 years newer than my primary desktop computer, but I have a few laptops to fall back on. Plus, since I hate to be without my desktop at all, I have a spare motherboard, spare power supply, multiple monitors, extra memory, and an image of the system drive on a spare SSD. The last time my desktop system appeared to be dying with "The data in the EC or EC Flash may be corrupted, shutting down in 15 seconds", I just needed to replace the CMOS battery. The only thing I don't have a spare for is the processor, but they are least likely to fail.

Last edited:
As with other desktop fans, I like the ergonomics and convenience of a desktop - bigger, more tactile keyboard, and bigger monitor. The portability of a laptop is not a feature to me, as it represents one more thing to carry around.

I always used a laptop. Just recently purchased a 17 inch LG Gram and I put it up on a stand when I work at my desk so it’s at eye level.

It’s remarkably super light to carry as well.

I eliminated years of shoulder and neck pain by having a monitor at eye level...but I actually do this with 2 laptops (one as monitor, one as keyboard). I use "Sharemouse" software so I can still use a touch pad and connect it to the second computer. I like this setup better than having a traditional desktop computer because I can clean off my entire desk in 1 minute. I also don't have to use a mouse like most desktops.

Last edited:
I have a laptop computer which I use for everything.

And two portable drives I use for a rotating backup scheme.

I see people here and elsewhere buying stationary desktop computers like iMacs or similar Microsoft variants.

What do you use those for that you cannot do on a laptop computer?

Just curious here - wondering if I am missing something :cool:

I have not read ahead. My husband had rheumatoid arthritis. His knuckles were expanding, and the small keyboard of a laptop did not work for him. As I explained to him, we could easily attach a regular keyboard to the laptop and he said that that was stupid.

He was a man of many thoughts, and I miss him very much.

He did not need to be on his computer unless he needed to be on his computer. His words. I still have his flip phone. He never texted because if a laptop keyboard was annoying, a phone keyboard was impossible for him to work. I haven’t heard the term for a long time but there used to be a term called fat fingered for making mistakes on phone keyboards. He just couldn’t work them.

And there was also the fact that he was very used to a stationary tower type PC. He could work it, and I understood it enough so I could fix it when it needed fixed and software updating all that other stuff.

I also have no confirmation on this, and have been told by medical people that’s not how this worked, but several people told me after my husband died that they saw in him a mental decline and then he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Because I lived with him every day I didn’t see this but in retrospect and maybe because a number of people pointed it out I do see it now.

My sister also has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s and now Lewy Body dementia. When someone is in the beginning stages of this, which can be years it was probably seven years before my sister got to the point where she lost the ability to walk, making changes to how things work or how they do things is actually cruel. They know what they know and the world is getting frightening and you had them something new and expect them to understand it. They can’t.

There was so much going on in the last five years of my husband‘s life with me that there was no way that we could make changes so everything stayed the same which was good for him. And now that he’s gone everything has changed for me. And because I promised him, all of my changes are for the better.

I should add, I have a laptop that I use specifically for genealogy because you can’t do that really on the phone and also I’m a beta reader for a friend of mine and I need word. But after the extremely disappointing HP laptop incident where in two years it took minutes to load up, then when you were working on it, it wouldn’t transmit to the screen.

I bought an apple. It works. But in all honesty, I do everything on my phone other than those two things I am on my phone all the time. To the point where I watch TV on my phone, while I’m sewing, I’m listening to TV on my phone or podcasts or something. I’m on my phone for hours a day . Not just sitting and doing nothing on my phone for 12 hours a day.

Last edited:
My last 3 computers have been laptops, so about 15 years of laptops only. I don't miss a desktop, and I am used.to the laptop keyboard and screen.

I use my desktop for about everything except video calls. And I have several reasons -
1. I can have a large monitor
2. I can slave extra hard drives to it for offline storage
3. I can upgrade the monitor and the desktop computer separately.
4. Since it's a desktop, it would be less desirable if anyone broke into my house.
5. And when I go on vacation, I get a computer break too.

Back
Top Bottom