Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #3041
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was happily surprised to see a reappearance of the Movies! OTA channel after I rescanned (hadnít done that in a while).

http://moviestvnetwork.com

I also noticed a handy feature on AntennaWeb that advises of the need to rescan (repack) channels in your area:

http://antennaweb.org

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #3042
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
It's a race to the top... fuboTV just announced they are raising their rates to $64.99, and also dropping all their Turner channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVisitingThisPlanet View Post
Seems YTTV/Hulu Live/ATT TV/Fubo will all eventually become sideways replacements for Cable and the other LiveTV streaming services will become niche services. Content owners are partly to blame for difficulty to provide tiered bundles, though Sling managed a way. At least it's easy to hop around services.

I don't do LiveTV services at all. Refuse to pay for ads. There's enough news on free Pluto and not really into sports anymore.
Re: Sling - without any of the major networks, it's a lot easier. We wouldn't consider a package without the majors, but if the streaming live broadcast alternatives keep going up we might become time shifters like so many younguns seemingly did long ago. Or we might futz around with OTA, though DW has steadfastly resisted when I've set it up in the past.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 07-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #3043
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Interesting response from Sling to YTTV's price increase:

Quote:
Sling TV is responding to YouTube TV’s price hike by offering new and existing subscribers a one-year price guarantee.

Here’s how it works: For customers who sign up or have an existing account by August 1, 2020, Sling TV will automatically guarantee its current price on any service through August 1, 2021.
https://clark.com/streaming-tv/sling...ice-guarantee/

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #3044
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting response from Sling to YTTV's price increase:

https://clark.com/streaming-tv/sling...ice-guarantee/
I have seen this scam scheme often. What they don't mention is that if they add channels or change the line up, then they will often change the price, too. Easy for them to make that "promise" since their last increase was a mere 6 months ago.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #3045

Sling and Philo don't carry the local broadcast networks nor the Fox regional sports networks. That's all we really use live streaming for. We could easily live without the "cable" channels, but we do watch a few programs, so it's nice to have.

AFAIK, Hulu and YTTV are the only real options for locals plus Fox RSNs. As I've posted before, we could cobble together a less-than-elegant combo of locast+Philo+Fitzy for $30/mo, which would provide everything we use YTTV for, minus our Fox RSN... and it looks like baseball will start in a few weeks.

Our plan for the moment is to stick with YTTV through the shortened baseball season and then switch to locast+Philo+Fitzy unless someone else starts offering a lightweight tier in the $45-50 range that meets our needs.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #3046
Give me a forum ...

I hope you have better luck with Fitzy TV that I have. This is what I get:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200701_154958467.jpg (103.0 KB, 43 views)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #3047
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
...unless someone else starts offering a lightweight tier in the $45-50 range that meets our needs.
That would be our preference too. We're more than happy with having all the majors and 60 something other networks with Hulu Live at $55/mo - we don't want ANY more networks if it means ANY premium, we're already getting many networks we don't ever watch. I haven't paid much attention to cable or satellite but I have seen some very low teaser rates bundled with internet and/or phone though they presumably balloon after a 1 or 2 year contract. Hopefully wherever all the live broadcast providers converge, it won't be as high as cable/satellite had become (is?).

Old 07-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #3048
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Have you not seen the virtual games they are doing? How about bowling championships from 1986? There is no reason for them to lower their prices.

Well, If they had replays of Bowling for Dollars which used to be on local stations in the 70's, I might be interested.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #3049
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Well, If they had replays of Bowling for Dollars which used to be on local stations in the 70's, I might be interested.
Wow! $540 jackpot! My how times change.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #3050

We are in the 'No over the a (OTA) TV. However, we were paying $120 a month for Dish a couple of years ago. So for now we will stick with YoutubeTV. For us YTTV wins out with their unlimited DVR and channel selection. However, we could make do with basic OTA channels and a few of the Network News channels. We will just wain and se.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #3051

The FCC repack will move some channels in the NYC area tomorrow, so rescan your OTA channels to get them all in.

YTTV @ $65, too rich for me.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:25 AM   #3052
Recycles dryer sheets

There's an efficient method called 'nomadic streaming' where you dump LiveTV and rotate around various pay SVOD services, including from standalone cable network services. Like say 2-3 pay services per month and pause the others when not in use. You get the content of about 2-3 dozen services over a year for the price of a few. When going back to a service, it's likely refreshed with content so feels new again. Most services keep your library/favorites for about 9-12 months so need to re-activate service within their timeframe if wanting to keep. Roku or Amazon subscription services make it easier to manage rotating many of them.

LiveTV services are mostly good for news and sports (or those who can't get OTA) but now you can get free news on PlutoTV and can subscribe to specific sports services during the season.

Also check out JustWatch.com and ReelGood.com for finding content on just about every pay/free service. JustWatch is better for SVOD/free services and ReelGood does better covering cable networks, but otherwise a lot of overlap with both.

Also check out free Kanopy and Hoopla, which have a lot of movies/TV and educational content tied to your library card number if they participate. Great stuff. I study tribal cultures and found over 500 related videos on Kanopy. Great Courses is also free via Kanopy.

With all of this, am not missing LiveTV services and no longer paying for ads.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #3053

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I hope you have better luck with Fitzy TV that I have. This is what I get:
OK, I see what you're talking about now. I just opened Fitzy for the first time since late last year. It's still configured with my locast and Philo credentials. Locast works fine (except for the constant nagging for donations). Philo doesn't work because my free trial expired last year. But it's still set up as a valid source.

But when I go to Settings->Add/Remove TV Provider, I see the same screen you posted. Only difference: mine shows Locast and Philo as my current providers, with CBS All Access and FrndlyTV as the only others available. Previously, every cable/satellite operator in the US was available there.

According to this story on cordcutters, Fitzy was forced to disable the "TV Everywhere" functionality due to a dispute with Adobe. The story is dated Feb 19, 2020.

So I guess Fitzy is now dead except for specific TV providers who directly integrate with Fitzy vs the TV Everywhere functionality. The good news (for me at least) is that both Philo and Locast appear to be among this rather small list.

But looks like you are a no-go with Xfinity or Dish.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #3054
Full time employment: Posting here.

AT&T upped the price of both DirecTV and AT&T TV today. The later will now start at $59.95.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #3055

Recently, we were going to cord cut, because our combined uncapped high speed Internet normally $89 here, and cable tv with sports channels was up to $255, with tax $285. I called to cut down to just the Internet. After talking to the retention department and saying no repeatedly to offers, they gave us a price of $121, and with tax, $146 for life. They said aside from variation in taxes, it stays that way unless we make changes. It seems hard to believe, but our bills have been coming in at that amount so far. We will see.

We have Suddenlink through Altice. We will probably stay for the time being.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:35 AM   #3056
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is our current menu of choices: 1) Acorn TV $4.99 per month plus tax. Great British shows and movies. Many period drama's for DW. The Good Kharma Hospital. The Heart Guy. 2) Hoopla through our library. Someone on here suggested. 5 free per month. Watched all of Foyle's War and 19-2. 3) Netflix 4) Amazon Prime Video. 5) Someone on here suggested Plex server for my NAS. We play things through the Plex channel on our Roku's. Well, now Plex has some free movies and shows. 6) Some of the Plex movies are on a service called Crackle which is a Sony product. We added the Crackle channel to our Roku's and that seems to be a better interface for watching Crackle streaming movies and shows.

And.... Drum Roll... The big project, years ago, was to set up antennae in our attic to feed a Tablo DVR. We get ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, Fox, PBS and the various sub-channels like Justice Network, Movies, Ion. We can watch live or recorded.

Back when there used to be live sporting events, I would get Sling or YTTV or Spectrum. No more.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:47 AM   #3057

Click on your favorite channel here and tell me what you think.
https://ustvgo.tv/
Old 07-04-2020, 05:59 AM   #3058
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Recently, we were going to cord cut, because our combined uncapped high speed Internet normally $89 here, and cable tv with sports channels was up to $255, with tax $285. I called to cut down to just the Internet. After talking to the retention department and saying no repeatedly to offers, they gave us a price of $121, and with tax, $146 for life. They said aside from variation in taxes, it stays that way unless we make changes. It seems hard to believe, but our bills have been coming in at that amount so far. We will see.

We have Suddenlink through Altice. We will probably stay for the time being.
You might be a good candidate for Starlink satellite internet when released later this year to next. Can get on list for beta here. Or tell Suddenlink you can get Starlink and use as leverage.

Starlink initially will be targeting consumers in rural areas that don't have very good internet options (and military/commercial uses).
Old 07-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #3059
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Click on your favorite channel here and tell me what you think.
https://ustvgo.tv/
Legal? Safe? If it sounds too good to be true...

https://askbobrankin.com/free_tv_channels_online.html

https://troypoint.com/ustvgo-tv/#:~:...required%20%21
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CC923E48-4469-43F7-BF99-9B2A68F147CE.jpeg (335.5 KB, 31 views)

Old 07-04-2020, 06:29 AM   #3060

I'm interested in this USTVgo streaming option. I'll be watching the responses for any further discussion.
Closed Thread