Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see numerous local shows available for the PBS channel I have selected available via the PBS app and my passport subscription.

Where I am, there are only 2 on the app. I know there are more than that. But honestly, it's more the syndicated shows that air locally that I want.

One thing that I recently found out about these streaming packages with "local" channels.... the local channels are the local channels for your IP address... where you are watching from... not necessarily your "home" locals.

So for example, let's say I sign up with one of these streaming services that includes locals while I am home in Vermont... when streaming from Vermont I get the Vermont locals... but when I am wintering in Sarasota and using the same streaming service, the locals would be Tampa local affiliates.

So I can't use the streaming service to watch my home area news or more importantly, New England Patriots football games playing on home CBS affiliate. :mad:

Yeah, this is a problem. It angers us when we cannot use DirecTV NOW to watch the Broncos when we are away from Denver.

(Without, for obvious reasons, going into any detail but... look into something like NordVPN.)

How many TV's?

If we went to one (which would be my preference), we could reduce the bill to $175 or so.

This stuff is pretty complicated and the equipment need is dependent on the personal wants of the consumer. It's hard to compare this stuff with all the variables and differences.

As an example:

My DD has Comcast basic cable (~20 channels), no DVR, two TV's, not so fast internet speed, Sling and Netflix and pays about $125. month. But that's all and her DH want to watch (which is plenty)

Two TVs.

For local news, if you have a Roku streaming device, they carry NewsOn. An app that streams local news from several different markets. If you miss the live broadcast, you can see it on demand.

I agree that tax policy will ultimately be neutral from one delivery system to the other. However, streaming technology brought much more competition to the market.
Ask the electric company - what is the biggest portion of your electric bill? The electricity or the transmission of it? Video is the same: Yes, there is more competition for which pipe will provide you the content you want, but streaming technology does nothing to increase competition among content providers. As a matter of fact, streaming technology will decrease competition among content providers, two ways: It is prompting consolidation (Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Fox) that decreases competition. And the switch to streaming also starves edge producers of the support they currently enjoy as part of the basic cable package. That will mean that eventually all that will be left will be the big guys.

Beyond that, streaming doesn't bring much more competition to the market. In most cases, cord-cutters are paying the same company for broadband that they were paying for cable. In the fullness of time, those very smart, very powerful companies will utilize today's pro-business environment to lock in most of their customers, ensuring that they can recover revenue lost on the cable line-item on the bill by way of increases to the broadband line-item on the bill.

More internet providers will start to enforce data caps and charge for overages.
And the industry will capitalize on today's environment to spur on the need for more bandwidth to justify those changes (read: 4K).

The reality is that this sector commands a certain fraction of discretionary income. It will get that income no matter what - eventually, no matter what consumers do to try to change it, consumers will pay that amount no matter what. Generally speaking, the cost of generating the goods is flexible - it bends to the available income. It can do that because what we're talking about is IP, not material goods. So all these machinations will eventually return to the same steady state: A certain fraction of discretionary income will go to this sector one way or the other, again, no matter what consumers try to do to change that. Market forces work that way.

Last edited:
My cable package is just for one 4k set top box located in living room. I don't watch a lot of tv when I go to bed and just use an antenna to pick up my local channels. I also have a few apps loaded on my Amazon Fire tv that allows me to watch ESPN, TBS and a couple of other channels since I have a subscription with Comcast. So that is one way to get by w/o renting several boxes though out the house if you don't mind a limited menu.

So I can't use the streaming service to watch my home area news or more importantly, New England Patriots football games playing on home CBS affiliate. :mad:

Amazon’s new Fire TV Recast device is supposed to allow you to do this. It’s an OTA DVR that uses an antenna to receive and view and/or record up to four local OTA channels at a time. You can view the programming either on a Fire TV box/stick or on a mobile device. You don’t have to be in the same location as the Recast device.

It sounds like that would do the trick. Unfortunately I don't have good OTA at my house, we use Dish satellite to get our locals.

But......... perhaps I could buy one for a buddy who lives in an area where the OTA signal is good.

Thanks for the tip. For .99 cents a month why not sign up.......

Just FYI for those who may not notice (I didn't at first).....this is for access to the Hulu streaming library only. Live TV subscriptions are still 39.99/month.

And those of us who have subscribed to Hulu over the past year are not eligible.

Just FYI for those who may not notice (I didn't at first).....this is for access to the Hulu streaming library only. Live TV subscriptions are still 39.99/month.

Although not as big of a library as Netflix, for .99 cents it's a no brainer. Not ad free, but not many. Usually just a short couple before the movie or show.

What's in the streaming libraries that I can't get with Netflix and Amazon Prime?

Some of their originals are pretty good.

Handmaid's Tale got the awards but Looming Tower also got good reviews.

Also watched Difficult People and Casual.

I think they have a selection of international shows, such as the Swedish version of The Bridge.

We've been very happily subscribed to the PlayStation Vue Core Package at $49.99/mo since Feb 2018, 73 channels.

To our surprise, we got upgraded to the Elite Package (reg $79.99/mo) 97 channels including HBO, ShowTime on Wed! First time we've seen an upgrade promo with PS Vue. It ends Sunday, but it's been fun to have a few channels we lost coming from Dish (at over twice the price)...we can't imagine ever going back to cable or satellite.

What's in the streaming libraries that I can't get with Netflix and Amazon Prime?

I took me awhile to find it … they keep it well hidden. However if you go to https://www.hulu.com/tv, it will list all of the current TV programing. At the top of the page is other selections: movies, originals. networks, etc. Take a look and decide for yourself of the difference.

I took the bait and put a note in my calendar to review in a year before the full price kicks in. I don’t think we’ll use it enough to pay the full price but we’ll try it!

Why do they want your birthday?
There's a little question mark icon by it that explains why. They say they want to tailor your viewing, and age can play a part in that. Maybe there are real reasons. I normally put the right year but not the actual date for things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom