Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
OTOH, if you're just listing/comparing various post cord-cutting TV streaming services, options, and cost, then yes, internet is irrelevant. I think the gist of this thread is more the former. But after over 1100 posts, who really knows.

To me, the whole point of cord cutting, cord shaving, whatever is to get the lowest price for the media one wishes to consume without too much bloat in the system. This usually means the consumer has to implement some creative solutions in their particular situation. How to accurately measure comparable costs in a complete manner is an important activity, IMHO.

Last edited:
I am a Netflix subscriber but have never had anything resembling "stuttering" or "skips." I, also, have never seen it on any other service. FWIW, we use the ROKU unit almost exclusively for streaming -- or PlayOn to record so as to skip commercials. I just checked my Internet speed (CenturyLink - DSL) and found 32.73 mbps down and 4.34 mbps up. -- a little slow but within acceptable range.

I'm not too surprised that you (and a few others who've commented) haven't experienced this. I imagine the "smoothness" of video streaming varies a lot between network providers, streaming devices, and streaming apps/platforms. There are many factors at play, so trying to pin it down to just one is difficult. I would never have mentioned it at all if I hadn't seen the stuttering on multiple occasions, on different TVs, using different streaming devices, etc.

I would be more inclined to blame the IP rather than a streaming service for video quality issues.

Could very well be, although I've seen it happen using both AT&T U-verse (22 Mbps) and Comcast Xfinity (200 Mbps), in different geographic locations. As a sanity check, I'm going to watch something on Netflix tonight to see if I notice it at all. This will be using the Xfinity connection and a Roku Streaming Stick+.

You profligate spendthrift! :D

I had to look it up. I assume you meant as a noun (otherwise it is redundant).

prof·li·gate /ˈpräfləɡət/

adjective: profligate

1. recklessly extravagant or wasteful in the use of resources.
"profligate consumers of energy"

noun: profligate; plural noun: profligates

1. a licentious, dissolute person.
synonyms: libertine, debauchee, degenerate, reprobate, roué, lecher, rake, loose-liver, dissolute person;

:LOL:

Hi All,

Backstory - complained to Cox Cable in August and they changed our rate structure with a new, lower rate for 12 months. Two weeks ago we get a bill that shows an increase of $5.15 per month. Spouse calls and they tell her, well, sorry, but we had to do that.

So, we terminated cable TV and continued, beginning 17 Feb, with internet only - at about half the price.

I've been researching, knowing this day would come - so, I will install an antenna in the attic (have run the tvfool model), run the cable straight down to the equipment area behind the TV (ours really isn't a TV since it doesn't have a channelizer), will buy some channelizer box and connect it all up to an Apple TV or Roku box.

I have an Apple box that we use all the time - but, my last research showed I would need a new Apple TV box (newer version) that would enable channel guides to work.

Always appreciate advice!

Please, tell me about EPG and how you use it. I use TitanTV from time to time, but it does not integrate with any recording hardware.

Titantv scheduling works with hauppage win-tv software if you want to record or watch through a PC

Please, tell me about EPG and how you use it. I use TitanTV from time to time, but it does not integrate with any recording hardware.

Great question! And one I hadn't thought about. It is, however, something I need to look into.

I use it in SageTV. I simply go to TV>Schedule and select the program I wish to watch (or record... or schedule to record) and click on it and the program starts. Here are two screen shots of what it looks like (these are on my HT computer monitor but it looks the same on the TV):

IMG_20190125_0746305.jpg

IMG_20190125_0751021.jpg

For list of programs that can use this service go here - Programs That Use Schedules Direct
(I haven't looked at this but will do so now for sure.)

Hi All,

Backstory - complained to Cox Cable in August and they changed our rate structure with a new, lower rate for 12 months. Two weeks ago we get a bill that shows an increase of $5.15 per month. Spouse calls and they tell her, well, sorry, but we had to do that.

So, we terminated cable TV and continued, beginning 17 Feb, with internet only - at about half the price.

I've been researching, knowing this day would come - so, I will install an antenna in the attic (have run the tvfool model), run the cable straight down to the equipment area behind the TV (ours really isn't a TV since it doesn't have a channelizer), will buy some channelizer box and connect it all up to an Apple TV or Roku box.

I have an Apple box that we use all the time - but, my last research showed I would need a new Apple TV box (newer version) that would enable channel guides to work.

I'm sure many of us here would be happy to advise with more info.

My only general advice is to begin with exactly what do you want to watch? What are must have programs/networks, and maybe nice to haves. Some networks are common, some are not (yet?).

Next how many simultaneous streams will you watch in your household - only 1, or more? Will you need a DVR, or can you rely entirely on live broadcasts and on-demand which can partially or fully eliminate the need for DVR.

And if you're an avid Apple ecosystem person, that may influence the decision. Or an avid Amazon person, that may also influence the decision.

From there, if needed we can offer comparisons of what streaming services you might want (OTA, PS Vue, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, Hulu Live, Sling TV, Netflix, HBO, Prime, etc.) and what hardware (Apple TV, Roku, FireStick, Chromecast, DVR's, etc.). And of course you'll need adequate internet speed, IMHO you must have at least 10 mbps though I consider 25 mbps unless you're single.

We have PS Vue & PBS Passport with Roku devices primarily FWIW, but I am not recommending that for anyone/everyone. That's just what fits our needs.

Last edited:
My only general advice is to begin with exactly what do you want to watch? What are must have programs/networks, and maybe nice to haves. Some networks are common, some are not (yet?).

Next how many simultaneous streams will you watch in your household - only 1, or more? Will you need a DVR, or can you rely entirely on live broadcasts and on-demand which can partially or fully eliminate the need for DVR.

+1 to the above.

A great tool for helping you find the lowest cost streaming service to match your needs is https://www.suppose.tv/tv.

+1 I was going to recommend that tool but you beat me to it. Too bad they don't have a similar tool for selecting an ISP for your area.

A very interesting, well laid out tool - thanks - I've played with it a bit.

Rather than approaching from channels that I could get by any various delivery mechanisms, I am approaching from the perspective of what can I receive given my projected hardware suite - i.e. I am going to have a dipole antenna for whatever I can get (see link from tvfool analysis at: TV Fool), and Cox as my ISP (get about 100 mbps download speeds).

The devil in this is the detail of what are the best/most functional devices downstream of the broadcast, and how best to integrate the various components to make things as seamless as possible.

Our device needs are simple - two people, one monitor without a channelizer (i.e. so will need something to channelize), two phones, a few iPads, etc. Have all the equipment on one wall with easy access to the attic area and roof. Need to be able to screen mirror from iPads and iPhones.

Our real programming needs are also pretty basic: no interest in sports, strong interest in BBC and PBS programming (have PBS subscription), strong interest in Netflix and Prime programming (have subscriptions), interest in being able to review other options looking for interesting, free programming online (ex: hitting Hulu through my old Apple TV box for interesting programming, but not valuing it enough to subscribe to Hulu).

Definitely want to be able to review broadcast options with a matrix/table format so need a box that would support that (Roku or Apple?).

I've been researching this quite a bit - the options are what add confusion :)

I've also posted a few times :-0

Last edited:
Here's the TV Fool tabular report for my location ...

Attachments

• PDF of tvfool report.pdf
    48.6 KB · Views: 10
Hi All,

FYI, Dish will actually come and install an OTA antenna for you - outside for around $200:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/tested-dishs-antenna-installation-service-went/

I had a local serviceperson install an antenna in the attic for my upstairs TV.

But I will probably use the above service for when I decide to add another antenna for the main TV in my basement.

I'm certainly not getting up on a ladder at the top of my chimney!

I just downloaded PlayOn to my desktop. It cost $29.99 for a lifetime membership. (searching web, lifetime may not be a lifetime, but should at least be a year! i.e. new software with new features may have a cost) With this I can stream and dvr NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX. It will also allow you to dvr Netflix and Amazon Prime, however their user agreements may forbid DVRing their content. You use your computer as a server and cast to your TV on Chromecast or Roku. There is a ROKU app for PlayON. You can record single episode or an entire season. You can set it to record all new episodes. (I have not had it long enough to see this work) Recorded shows can be replayed without commercials. As they use their software to block commercials you have no mandatory commercial breaks. I recorded a Seinfeld's episode from Crackle, a free service with adds. It showed less than 2 seconds of ad, and appeared to start at the beginning of the next segment.

I first opened an account with PlayOn about five or more years ago. I never used their paid program. Their Lifetime membership was $100, and I was not willing to pay that on the chance the would be in business more than three or four years. Also they did not have the breath or recording they seem to have now. I figure for $30 I would take a chance.

What I can not understand is how the cable companies do not see the writing on the wall and start offering cheaper packages ?

What I can not understand is how the cable companies do not see the writing on the wall and start offering cheaper packages ?

Because their subscriber losses aren't big enough yet.

Plus channels are increasing their costs all the time..

They’ve sweetened their teaser rates, but they have a lot of fixed costs that streaming doesn’t. And they are losing subscribers which makes it even harder to cover those fixed costs and therefore harder to cut rates. Some people still want 500 channels (exaggeration) and don’t care what it costs. And lots of people, including most of our friends are too lazy or tech intimidated to try streaming. It’s traumatic for some people just switching from Direct TV satellite to Dish satellite - ‘OMG the remote is different and the onscreen guide looks different!:eek: :mad: :LOL:

If you mean skinny bundles, I haven’t followed what if anything cable and satellite are doing there.

I’m sure you know DirecTV now is owned by Direct TV/AT&T, Sling is owned by Dish Network. And PS Vue is owned by Sony, and Hulu owned by Disney. So the content and satellite players are covering their bases, and the major cable players have internet service to cover themselves. The smart players are keeping their toes in both/all three pools.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this all plays out, lots of possibilities. I’m happy to save $500+/year while it all shakes out...

Last edited:
We’ve had this debate before and it’s a fair question, but I don’t think you can assume internet is part of the cost of streaming. I know advocates for cable and satellite always add internet costs to make themselves look closer to competitive (they still aren’t IME), but it’s not that simple.

It is that simple for me, at least, with a Comcast double play package of $110/mo. (all cable channels + 150mb HSI). The incremental cost of TV is something like $50/mo. which approximates the cost of an equivalent streaming TV package. And I get a much better experience with a whole-home Tivo setup including auto comskip on the popular channels, quick play mode, basically unlimited DVR, much better playback control, etc.

You can't overlook the fact that bundling on cable will save you money on TV + HSI, and that the overall cost AND features are important to many here.

Last edited:
I can’t wait, but I will. I don’t have time to absorb this much information right now. My cox contract ends in April so soon I need to get internet only in some way.

If anyone has simple advice I’d appreciate it. I have a smart tv with Bluetooth. I can get Verizon Fios here. There are options. I like the idea of fiber optic cable. I had google in Kansas City and it was fabulous but it’s not available here.

I watch almost no broadcast tv, just cnn, msnbc, pbs. Most of those I can get on my iPad and stream to the tv. Also true of local news stations. I have amazon prime and Netflix. Also hbo and showtime, can get through amazon. I like being able to record programs but it’s not essential. Right now I have a 2 year deal and pay about $160/ month. I resent it. I rent my modem or dvr. I live alone so I can decide! Any simple help appreciated. TIA.

Netflix copycats are changing the streaming game and making viewers pay the price
These companies began to create exclusive and original content to keep their viewers. But that means consumers will have to pay $10 to $15 a month for each service if they want to get access to all the content they want or unfortunately resort to online pirating.
Well - that's easily solved because you don't have to subscribe to all stream/content providers at all times. You can rotate between streams with different content.

And BTW - that entire article was one paragraph half of which you quoted?!?!?

Last edited:
You can't overlook the fact that bundling on cable will save you money on TV + HSI, and that the overall cost AND features are important to many here.
Sorry - lousy resolution. And I don't have a DVR and prefer not to mess with one.

Our streaming costs are way under $50 a month.

Last edited:
This is all about on demand streaming only. That’s all many people want/need these days, but for cord cutters who still want live broadcasts and other other traditional cable or satellite services, there’s another whole dimension. Hulu Live, YouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling TV et al. It’s probably confusing for readers trying to understand cord cutting. On demand and live broadcast streaming are mostly different worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom