Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, the FCC is on the verge of approving ATSC 3.0, which is a new digital TV broadcasting standard set to replace the current ATSC 1.0. Among other things, it will bring 4K HDR content.

Or it's capable of doing so but whether the stations invest in the equipment to produce and deliver that content is another question.

ATSC 3.0 is not backwards compatible with ATSC 1.0. The rollout by the stations is voluntary but at some point, they will reorganize the spectrum allocations that stations have, making it unlikely that stations could broadcast both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 signals.

There are no plans to offer rebates to buy boxes capable of receiving ATSC 3.0, as was done with ATSC 1.0 rollout around 20 years ago.

We have Tablo. Only one box needed and serves all our TVs. Paid for the lifetime guide - a one time cost of $149. Tablo + $149 the same as the Roamio, but only one device needed. We absolutely love our Tablo.

I believe you also need an external hard drive to store recordings, right? Assuming so, what size drive do you have?

No. No cords anywhere :) We have Roku sticks on all the TVs ($29) and Roku has a Tablo app. We had the Rokus before we had the Tablo, but even if you have to buy them at the same time you buy the Tablo, still a better deal than having to buy Roamio minis for all the TVs.

The Tablo is hooked to the antennae and then sends the signal to all the TVs over our WiFi. I can even watch shows I've recorded on my Kindle Fire, my laptop or my phone when I am away from home since it connects over the WiFi. It's great!

OK, so you do need more than one device even if it's just a Roku stick.

And a HD to store the recorded shows. Still, that is a relatively cheap one time investment compared to monthly cable bills.

It does sound like a neat solution. Now all we have to do is convince those under 45 that TV was and still is FREE when broadcast over the air .

Last edited:
+1 for Tablo.

We replaced a Windows Media Center PC with a Tablo a few years ago and it’s worked great. We use it with Roku, Apple TV, iPad and no issues.

+1 for Tablo.

We replaced a Windows Media Center PC with a Tablo a few years ago and it’s worked great. We use it with Roku, Apple TV, iPad and no issues.

How is the video quality? I find the uncompressed (or less compressed?) OTA signal to be so much sharper than cable/sat. I cannot tell the difference between direct antenna to TV and antenna to Tivo recording to TV. I wouldn't want to lose that.

For those of you who live in an area with descent TV antenna reception, here is a Black Friday deal on the Tivo Roamio OTA with the new voice control remote. Scroll down to Raomio OTA with Vox. It includes lifetime guide service, so no monthly fees.

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-roamio-series5.php

I have a Tivo and it is simply the best way to record and watch FREE OTA TV, IMHO.

Thanks for the heads up. FWIW, I believe the Roamio only does 1080p while the newer Bolt series supports 4K. Right now I don't think any OTA broadcasts are 4k, but may be coming soon. Plus, if you like to use the Tivo for Netflix/Amazon Prime, those do support 4k already.

How is the video quality? I find the uncompressed (or less compressed?) OTA signal to be so much sharper than cable/sat. I cannot tell the difference between direct antenna to TV and antenna to Tivo recording to TV. I wouldn't want to lose that.

Our video quality from OTA is exceptional. Far better than when we had cable.

Thanks for the heads up. FWIW, I believe the Roamio only does 1080p while the newer Bolt series supports 4K. Right now I don't think any OTA broadcasts are 4k, but may be coming soon. Plus, if you like to use the Tivo for Netflix/Amazon Prime, those do support 4k already.

You are correct as far as I now. A Bolt would be a better deal for those who get or will soon get 4K TV's. But it is much more expensive and perhaps the expense is a big hurdle for many. By the way the Tivo delivers the full OTA HD experience when one plays back a recorded show. It really is very nice, even on my 720p Plasma TV. Love that Plasma display!!!

For those of you who live in an area with descent TV antenna reception, here is a Black Friday deal on the Tivo Roamio OTA with the new voice control remote. Scroll down to Raomio OTA with Vox. It includes lifetime guide service, so no monthly fees.

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-roamio-series5.php

I have a Tivo and it is simply the best way to record and watch FREE OTA TV, IMHO.

And now, Best Buy has the base model (with lifetime service, no monthly fee) marked down from $399 to $299; the Weaknees link above lists it for $329 after coupon code at checkout. Of course, this one doesn't seem to have the voice remote so one would have to decide whether that upgrade was worth $30 to them:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tivo-r...-video-recorder-black/5114600.p?skuId=5114600

Last edited:
You are correct as far as I now. A Bolt would be a better deal for those who get or will soon get 4K TV's. But it is much more expensive and perhaps the expense is a big hurdle for many. By the way the Tivo delivers the full OTA HD experience when one plays back a recorded show. It really is very nice, even on my 720p Plasma TV. Love that Plasma display!!!

Bolt might do Netflix and Amazon 4k streaming but I doubt it would record any future 4K broadcasts, either OTA or cable.

Since neither of those standards are set yet.

Another vote for Tablo but with the caveat that picture quality is not quite as good as OTA. I believe there is some compression.

My unscientific impression: looks good to me.

I haven’t had any complaints with video quality, but I also haven’t compared it side-by-side with the OTA signal.

We have our Tablo hard wired, so that most likely helps. It is converting the video stream, probably to mpeg4. That could cause some video degradation, but not necessarily anything you’d notice.

I haven't read all the above, but we just signed up for YouTubeTV - $35 a month. Will be cheaper than our DirectTV account ($118). We only watch news and a few US shows; the rest we watch on AcornTV and Amazon Prime. Will add BritBox when we cancel DTV.

YouTubeTV: You can have up to 6 Google accounts signed in, each person gets their own Library, and there's a DVR-type function too. Their interface looks good - you actually SEE what's live on each channel. Can watch on iPad or laptop etc. - just need to use Chrome browser. Can control your TV with iPad. Still in learning mode but more details here:
https://tv.youtube.com * needs to be in your area to sign up (moving across country now)

Tablo converts to h.264. Great picture quality but not original MPEG2. Never notice the difference in most situations. I'm a perfectionist and still have no problem dropping Dish. Highly recommended for potential cord cutters. Very easy to set up and use. Wish I had YouTube TV available here.

Roamio OTA w/ lifetime service (old 500GB model) now $199 @ tivo.com for Cyber Monday, free shipping.

Just ordered another of the above.

Still using DirecTv NOW for $35/month. They have CBS and NBC now, just have to go outside of DTV NOW for ABC on the ABC App. Picture is very good, no complaints. I keep reading they are going to have cloud DVR, but not yet. DW complained for a while without the DVR capability, but quickly got use to watching what shows she likes when they come on.

So far, minimal to no streaming issues for the downstairs TV's (Den and MBR). Upstairs is a little harder. I am thinking of a splitter for the cable internet and having a 2nd modem and wireless router upstairs for that area...

Hulu is offering me another one-month trial subscription. Just finished a third, one-month trial with Amazon Prime. Might take a short break from the time suck that streaming can become before signing on for a free month with Hulu for the holiday season.

Hulu is offering me another one-month trial subscription. Just finished a third, one-month trial with Amazon Prime. Might take a short break from the time suck that streaming can become before signing on for a free month with Hulu for the holiday season.
Are you talking about Hulu or Hulu w live TV, very different.

I haven't read all the above, but we just signed up for YouTubeTV - $35 a month. Will be cheaper than our DirectTV account ($118). We only watch news and a few US shows; the rest we watch on AcornTV and Amazon Prime. Will add BritBox when we cancel DTV.

YouTubeTV: You can have up to 6 Google accounts signed in, each person gets their own Library, and there's a DVR-type function too. Their interface looks good - you actually SEE what's live on each channel. Can watch on iPad or laptop etc. - just need to use Chrome browser. Can control your TV with iPad. Still in learning mode but more details here:
https://tv.youtube.com * needs to be in your area to sign up (moving across country now)
YouTubeTV looks great on mobile devices, but having to use a mobile device to broadcast to TV AND only via Chromecast kept me away (you can't use YouTubeTV with Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV or any other streaming device). And there are lots of reports that your mobile device may get pretty hot if you use it for TV for long periods. FWIW

The options all vary considerably, DirecTV Now, PS Vue, Sling, YouTubeTV, Hulu w live TV, etc. - it's really an individual choice as to which fits best for each viewer.

Last edited:
I just read Google will not make YouTube available on the Amazon FireTV beginning next month. This may be negotiating or posturing, but it may impact cord cutters. Story here https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...youtube-support-from-amazon-fire-tvs-in-2018/

I think this is going to be an ongoing problem as the various media companies arm-wrestle over streaming rights. It has been going on for years with Netflix where they cut a deal with a movie studio for some period of time, then the contract is up and they can't negotiate a new deal so a whole package of movies/shows disappears.

Buying hardware from a company that is also now producing content (Amazon) is likely to exacerbate the problem. I'll stick with Roku for streaming hardware.

Samsung is investing in Pluto TV.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/samsung-becomes-latest-phone-maker-invest-content-n811211

Pluto has more subscribers than all the rest combined and it's free. They have over 5 million subscribers. The video quality on their 4K channel is by far the best I have seen period.

I am running Sling Blue, Pluto, Netflix Premium, and a host of other free channels hosted on ROKU.
Pluto has more subscribers, but it's free...

Pluto is mostly no name networks, even more obscure than all the clutter networks in the cable/satellite world, so you get what you pay for once again. It wouldn't begin to replace PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling, YouTube TV or Hulu w live TV.

PlutoTV is interesting. It seems to have all the castoffs and misfits from HDTV. I do like the Slow TV (trains going through Norway). They have some fun/quirky stations. Some decent older movies.

It is definitely a supplement or something for a change of pace. They even have the channel where it is girls in bikinis on the beach with music playing from the old HDTV days.

Playstation Vue continues to meet all our needs on Fire TV. Netflix and PlutoTV add some diversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom