Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this sucks...

YouTube TV is Losing Sinclair Owned Fox Regional Sports Networks

Today YouTube TV announced that they will be dropping Sinclair Owned Fox Sports Networks on February 29th. This is the 3rd major live TV streaming service to drop Fox Regional Sports Networks since Sinclair bought them for just over $10 billion last year. Hulu and AT&T TV NOW are currently the only live TV streaming services that offer Fox RSNs.

Deal killer for me.

Waiting for them to be dropped on Uverse... Then I'll be SOL.

I'll have to see what is really dropped. I watch FS1 a lot, but that's not a regional network, so I'm hoping that stays. I don't think I even get any regional networks now. With Dish I had them, but many times they seemed to be blacked out, IIRC.

My search for right streaming for cord cutting coming to a close.... and the winner is.... CABLE.... :)

Fortunately my community HOA has negotiated a pretty sweet deal for cable w/Spectrum. Currently paying $39/mo for 100/100 internet, HOA is now negotiated adding cable for additional $21/mo, more channels and less expensive than almost any (all?) streaming package, plus gives us 400/400 internet. Total of $60/mo all in (no additional taxes), can't pass that opportunity up.

Includes 175+ HD channels, plus Showtime channels.
Spectrum On Demand
2 HD Cable Boxes - including 1 DVR
AppleTV 4K Box
Streaming option for Spectrum channels, in house and via app
400/400 internet service including router and access point

Maybe an insight into the future with cable companies realizing they need to be ultra competitive.

I'll have to see what is really dropped...

In the DFW area, we'll lose Fox Sports Southwest, which is the only way to watch the Rangers, Mavericks, and Stars. I watch some of each, mainly the Rangers. But my 86-year-old DMIL watches every single Rangers game live on FSSW. She's a fanatic. I just converted her from PS Vue to YTTV, which took quite a bit of "training." I guess we'll have to move her to Hulu and hope they don't drop the Fox RSNs as well. Total PITA.

...Maybe Sinclair paid too much and now wants too much.

That seems pretty clear... Evidently they paid $10B last year. That valuation must have been based on some fairly aggressive pricing assumptions by Sinclair.

Since the Sinclair purchase, streaming services have been dropping them, even Fubo which is a sports-centric service. Hulu and AT&T TV Now are the only streaming services left that offer them. Hulu recently raised their price from $45 to $55, IIRC, and AT&T starts at $65.

But... it will be YTTV that takes the blame from subscribers, many of whom will see this as a deal breaker and go elsewhere. Here's one of hundreds of similar posts on the YTTV twitter feed:

So no more Fox Sports Carolinas!?!?! I can't watch my @Canes anymore. This is a 100% deal breaker if I can't. You just lost a customer and I'm sure not the only one either.

Well, yeah, that person you quoted is right. I need my Canes! That's why it is a deal breaker for me.

As for blame: I spread it far and wide. I really don't care who is to blame. The fact is YTTV doesn't have the channel I watch the most in the winter. So, it is over. Really don't care who caused it.

Same for AT&T and their fights with local channels we've suffered through over the years. That's why I'm expecting to see a fight on Uverse. AT&T usually pushes back. And the viewers suffer.

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the nature of streaming for a while. PS Vue was the best choice for us, first they lost Viacom, then prices went up, then they folded altogether. We’re happy with Hulu Live, even after they went from $45 to $55/mo - but I assume there will be networks lost or price increases before it’s over. YTTV just hit the latest hurdle before Hulu this time. Until streaming takes even more share from cable/satellite, and they will IMO, there will be changes some subscribers won’t like. Eventually prices will probably equalize, but it’s nice to have big savings in the interim (since Feb 2018 for us).

There's no sugar coating this one. For a certain set of YTTV viewers, this is fatal. YTTV having a large sports package is THE reason many users went there.

The reddit sub is going ballistic right now. They are rightly pointing out Sinclair's role in this.

How long before Musk's satellites put cable out of business or at least drive prices down.
When these price wars brings down prices there won't be as much money for all these expensive series that are on Netflix and Amazon.
Bout the only thing I have watched is The Marvelous Mrs Miasel.

I just dropped Uverse.

They didn't have NFL Network.

Seems like a pattern. Maybe Sinclair paid too much and now wants too much.

The new Cubs channel is through Sinclair. Last year, I still got about 50 or so games free, OTA. This year, either pay about $55/month for a service to watch.

At least ballgames on the radio are still free for a cheapskate like me :).

YouTube TV and Sinclair agreed to a temporary extension to keep the Fox RSNs on YTTV. It was supposed to be gone on Mar 1. But yesterday I noticed it was still working. I googled and found multiple reports of the extension. Hopefully that's good news for the long term. I spent quite a bit of time a few days ago researching alternative ways of getting Fox Sports Southwest and none of them are very good.

Here's the statement Google made:

Negotiations are still underway! In the meantime, we’ve agreed to a temporary extension. FOX RSNs and YES Network are still available on YT TV while we work to reach an agreement. We’ll send out an update as soon as we have more info on a resolution.

If anyone is using Mobdro, you're probably having problems.
The fix: Go to "Settings", click over to "Applications" and open.
Click down to "Manage installed Appllications" Click down to" Mobdro" and open. Click "Force Stop" then click "clear Data" (twice) Now back all the way out to your apps icons and click Modbro and do what ever it requests. It asks if they can use your off time for something, you can decide.
I tried it on two of my Firesticks and Modbro is streaming fine.

When signing up for internet service what is the amount of data usage I should be looking at. We will have two tvs going off and on through the day. Is there a norm we should be looking at? There is a plan with download at 100mpbs and usage at 1000gb. Should I move up to 200mpbs and 2000gb. Thanks for any information on this. steve

When signing up for internet service what is the amount of data usage I should be looking at. We will have two tvs going off and on through the day. Is there a norm we should be looking at? There is a plan with download at 100mpbs and usage at 1000gb. Should I move up to 200mpbs and 2000gb. Thanks for any information on this. steve

We typically use 10-20GB/day. This is with one TV in use at a time. A typical day would be 1-3 hours working out and 3 hours in the evening. The main TV in the evening uses 4K Netflix/Prime Video when the source supports it. The 4K rate appears to be 3-5 times the non-4K.

You say "data usage", which usually means a monthly account cap or allowance, but then you also use Mbps, which is raw speed per second. So I'll try to address both, but first the numbers will definitely vary depending on whether you have 4K TVs and stream 4K resolution content, or not.

For speed, 15-25Mbps is usually enough for one 4K stream. If you expect both TVs to be streaming UHD/Blu-ray quality at the same time, 15-20Mbps is enough; if you want both to be able to stream 4K at the same time, I would recommend 40 or 50Mbps speeds. (ref: Lifewire) So the 100Mbps plan is more than enough for even 4 TVs steaming 4K content at the same time.

For usage, a 4K movie will usually eat up between 5 and 10GB of data per hour. If you're watching ONLY 4K, the 100/1000 plan would let you watch 100-200 hours per month (total, so 50-100 per TV) (ref: Consumer Reports, subscription required). Streaming 1080/HD content is probably 4-5GB/hr, so more like 100-120 hours total (Ref: Gizmodo). For a 30-day month, 100 hours is about 3.5 hours a day of 4K streaming, for reference, and that's between TVs.

So it seems to me that the data caps could be the problem, but only if you watch everything in 4K.

100 mb/s is already overkill for streaming. I suspect that 1 TB/month is also sufficient. Consider starting at the lower level and upgrading if needed.

ETA: If concerned check to see if your provider is waiving data caps at this time.

Last edited:
Cosmic Avenger and Kwirk thanks for the great information. Presently with cable but they are planning a big increase when they come and put a "box" on each tv in the house and a rate increase so just wanted to try to be ready to just tell them to not bother and I found internet promo for new customers but I didn't know the data and speed need to stream. All new stuff. Thanks steve

I've posted before, but we have 300/300 mbps with a 1 TB cap. We have 1-2 HD TV's and 1-2 mobile devices going for many hours per day plus a couple other devices. We have never been anywhere near 1TB - might have gotten into the 700GB range a few times, but usually 500-600 GB is more than enough. You'd have to watch a hell of a lot of TV, or mostly 4K to reach 1TB IME. 4K will chew thru data about 4 times faster than most HD. So 1 TB may not be enough some day, but that's years away for most people.

We typically use 10-20GB/day. This is with one TV in use at a time. A typical day would be 1-3 hours working out and 3 hours in the evening. The main TV in the evening uses 4K Netflix/Prime Video when the source supports it. The 4K rate appears to be 3-5 times the non-4K.

I just checked and MTD, we're at around 450GB total. Looking at day by day, we are now in the 20-35GB/day range since increasing quarantine restrictions have been taking effect.

On a different note, those of you who subscribe to one of the higher priced streaming services (YTTV, Hulu Live, etc) to watch sports can save a few bucks by switching to less expensive services such a Philo. No sense in paying for all those sports channels now that virtually all sports have been canceled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom