Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I have used some of these tools, but as you say things can be quite specific. I'm in the middle of the City here and well within reach of many towers (PBS is supposedly 12 miles away, for example and that is one of the farther ones). However, our particular house appears to be in a bad spot - back in the early 90-ies, I could not get ANY signals with indoor antennas on the first floor at all, and only one or two stations on the 2nd floor. Going to the attic didn't help much. I haven't tinkered with it since, so perhaps technology has improved. The same is true for cellphone signals, actually. Very weak signals.
You should be fine with the location described unless you’re blocked by buildings, dense woods or topography (you’re in a valley). (Powered) Antennas are much better now, best of luck.

Last edited:
euro, I am jealous you are getting Google Fiber. It is about a mile from me and I can't wait until it gets here. In the meantime Spectrum is my only choice for internet and it is awful.

We dropped Spectrum cable last year and use Youtube TV and it is very good (except they no long carry the Regional Sports channels). Youtube TV has a very good built in DVR. We record most shows and then just fast forward through the commercials.

We started with YTTV soon after it started and we still like it. Very unhappy about losing FS1 and FS2 and recently notified The Tennis Channel is gone. Very unhappy about that.

We started with YTTV soon after it started and we still like it. Very unhappy about losing FS1 and FS2 and recently notified The Tennis Channel is gone. Very unhappy about that.
I still get FS1 on YTTV. Maybe you are thinking of some regional Fox sports network?

euro, I am jealous you are getting Google Fiber. It is about a mile from me and I can't wait until it gets here. In the meantime Spectrum is my only choice for internet and it is awful..

Yes, I have been waiting for many years. I’m in Raleigh and we were one of the first Google fiber test sites, but my neighborhood has been left out until now. Interestingly, all but one or two of my rental properties have been hooked up for some time now - I guess that means my rentals are in better parts of town than my personal residence :LOL::D:cool:

It looks like Spectrum is increasing my monthly bill for Internet by $5, $69.99 to $74.99.

This is for 200 Mbps which they actually achieve.

I don’t bundle any other services.

My IP just increased our speed from 60MBPS to 100 MBPS and said it was free. I expect an increase of cost soon.
I'll let you know if I notice any difference.

Google is sending me a new Chromecast. I didn't ask for it, just because "I was a good customer". I think you had to have been a subscriber with no brakes in service singe Feb 2018. Seeing that exactly fits us, I have my doubts if this is the reason. No credit card was required, just request it. I checked it through the cordcutters site, and it appears liget.

It looks like Spectrum is increasing my monthly bill for Internet by $5, $69.99 to $74.99.

This is for 200 Mbps which they actually achieve.

I don’t bundle any other services.

Same here (except I don't get anywhere near that speed). I don't have any other options for high seed internet so I guess I am stuck. Google Fiber is about a mile away and I hope it gets to my house soon. Spectrum is awful--it goes out in my neighborhood frequently.

My IP just increased our speed from 60MBPS to 100 MBPS and said it was free. I expect an increase of cost soon.
I'll let you know if I notice any difference.

Mine did something similar earlier this year, temporarily increasing our speed from 75Mbps to 150 at no additional cost. After four months the speed was reduced back to 75. Although I could measure the increase using Speedtest, I noticed no difference when the speed was increased, nor when it reverted back to 75.

Same here (except I don't get anywhere near that speed). I don't have any other options for high seed internet so I guess I am stuck. Google Fiber is about a mile away and I hope it gets to my house soon. Spectrum is awful--it goes out in my neighborhood frequently.

Yes, I recall you talking about the poor service/reliability a while ago. I still think it could be aging infrastructure passed along from Time Warner (and whoever preceded them) in the older historic areas near the UNC Chapel Hill campus. You’re not the only one affected. It’s a big downer.

But look at the beautiful campus! (said in the spirit of Monty Python’s dead parrot :) )

Yes, I recall you talking about the poor service/reliability a while ago. I still think it could be aging infrastructure passed along from Time Warner (and whoever preceded them) in the older historic areas near the UNC Chapel Hill campus. You’re not the only one affected. It’s a big downer.

But look at the beautiful campus! (said in the spirit of Monty Python’s dead parrot :) )

Yes it is a beautiful but empty campus now. Google Fiber is pretty much surrounding the historic area where I live and I am told we should be getting it "soon." I can't wait!

Is now the time to remind you guys we have both Google Fiber and AT&T Fiber in our neighborhood in Raleigh?

I'll let myself out... :greetings10:

Yes it is a beautiful but empty campus now. Google Fiber is pretty much surrounding the historic area where I live and I am told we should be getting it "soon." I can't wait!

Then comes my turn to be jealous. :)

Here’s hoping it happens for your area VERY soon!

Is now the time to remind you guys we have both Google Fiber and AT&T Fiber in our neighborhood in Raleigh?

I'll let myself out... :greetings10:
We have AT&T Fiber with 1000mbps service, and it makes almost no difference to us. Service is the same as our Comcast 25mbps internet service was before. We have two TV's streaming, and 2-4 mobile devices going often along with a few other WiFi household devices. You may not be missing anything unless you use bandwidth like a small-medium business...

Unless Google Fiber is completely different than AT&T Fiber?

We have AT&T Fiber with 1000mbps service, and it makes almost no difference to us. Service is the same as our Comcast 25mbps internet service was before. We have two TV's streaming, and 2-4 mobile devices going often along with a few other WiFi household devices. You may not be missing anything unless you use bandwidth like a small-medium business...

Unless Google Fiber is completely different than AT&T Fiber?

Nah, as for "experience," it doesn't matter.

What matters is you can deal with them better and force the maintenance issue. The three (AT&T, GFBR, or Spectrum) don't want to lose business, so they stay price competitive, and they keep the network in good shape.

I don't need 1 Gig at all. The only time it helps is when I upload a video to my YouTube account, which I do about 1 time per month. I went from 20 minutes to 20 seconds for my typical small video.

Finally HBO Max is coming to Roku tomorrow December 17th

From The Verge https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/16...movies-amazon-fire-stream-comcast-warnermedia
One of the biggest hurdles facing HBO Max is no longer a problem: the streaming service will finally be coming to Roku devices, starting December 17th.

I made this announcement happen singlehandedly by breaking down and getting an (expensive) Apple TV+ to replace my Roku2 right after Thanksgiving, for the sole purpose of being able to watch HBO Max. :) They we’re waiting for me to spend that $$ before announcing.

I made this announcement happen singlehandedly by breaking down and getting an (expensive) Apple TV+ to replace my Roku2 right after Thanksgiving, for the sole purpose of being able to watch HBO Max. :) They we’re waiting for me to spend that $$ before announcing.

We're a Roku household - much appreciated. :D

A bit off topic, cable companies are the worst! Xfinity has a small junction box in my lawn about 7 feet from my neighbors driveway. They Replaced my neighbors feedline about two years ago and ran the cable between the base and the cover, rather than underground as it should be. After waiting some time and carefully mowing over the on ground cable, I disconnected it, buried it underground and reconnected it through the base as it should have been. A week ago I saw Xfinity cable guys working at my nextdoor neighbor, 3 trucks!, I was outside across the street at a different neighbors and they came over to his box, I started yacking about what I had to to do to their cable previously. So what did the do? Ran a new cable to my neighbors house, just like two years ago. Above ground, across my lawn, coming out between the base and the cover.

Call them and ask for a supervisor and tell them if they don't put it underground as it should be in 5 days that the next time that you now that you will now over it and then they should hope for the best but it is likely that they'll have to replace it.

They probably have an easement but it is underground and not above ground.

Running the cable over the door edge instead of through the access holes is my pet peeve! These cable guys do the same on the box mounted to the house. It looks like crap. You can't properly close the door. It lets in moisture, and it just shows a lack of workmanship. I feel for ya!

We have AT&T Fiber with 1000mbps service, and it makes almost no difference to us. Service is the same as our Comcast 25mbps internet service was before...

We recently upgraded to gigabit internet service (1000 Mbps up and down). It has REALLY helped. We use Frontier FiOS and previously had 50/50. I think it was their lowest tier but was always ample bandwidth for our needs.

But then... DS and DDIL moved in, along with 2 grandkids and 2 giant dogs. They had a fire at their house and it's going to be several months, maybe a year, until they can move back in. Long story.

Anyway, they obviously brought their laptops, their tablets, their cellphones, their streaming devices, even Alexa and a smart cam to watch the girls when they sleep. PLUS the biggie, they both work from home about 80% of the time, which mostly consists of Zoom calls and lots of huge files flying around.

So yeah... we all noticed a huge slowdown shortly after they moved in. After the upgrade, it's been smooth sailing. I even introduced them to a novel concept for millennials: ethernet cables. We have a mesh WiFi system with 6 nodes throughout the house, plus another 3 hardwired conventional routers/access points. The latency and bandwidth is typically 2-3X better when hardwired to one of those devices, vs WiFi.

Our monthly cost increased from $55 to $70, which isn't bad at all. I included it in their "rent" which the insurance company pays. When they move out, I may or may not downgrade. I kind-of like having all that headroom. And I see lots of IoT home automation devices in my future.

Point is, there is definitely a need for gigabit service, beyond the comparatively modest needs of the typical ER.org household.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom