Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend sent me the YouTube showing an app called Airy.TV

I installed it on my Firestick, so far works wel,l has many channels like Pluto TV, and a nice Program Guide. I think it works a little quicker than Pluto. It has some different channels than Pluto TV.

Yes, I have used some of these tools, but as you say things can be quite specific. I'm in the middle of the City here and well within reach of many towers (PBS is supposedly 12 miles away, for example and that is one of the farther ones). However, our particular house appears to be in a bad spot - back in the early 90-ies, I could not get ANY signals with indoor antennas on the first floor at all, and only one or two stations on the 2nd floor. Going to the attic didn't help much. I haven't tinkered with it since, so perhaps technology has improved. The same is true for cellphone signals, actually. Very weak signals.
Anyway, we'll see when I get my first antenna delivered.

As an aside, we have a small cabin in a pretty rural area of the Blue Ridge mountains and I'm able to pull in probably about 20 stations (albeit with an outdoor antenna). So rural vs urban doesn't always seem to mean much....

Quick update: I got my OTA antenna in (picked the ClearStream ECLIPSE® Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna - based on several reviews). Tested out reception in the upstairs room where most of my network equipment is already located. Sticking the antenna to the window (with the provided tape), I get 34 local channels, including the crucial PBS and PBS explorer. I'm thrilled - the Amazon recast solution is definitely an option for me now (already own a fire stick that I use when traveling - well, thanks to Covid: "used to use, I guess...).
Now I see the Google guys pull the fiber cables into the neighborhood, so it should be soon.... when it happens, I'll be ready :dance: :D:LOL:

Anyone use VPN to stream their local stations on services like Youtube TV when they're far away from home?

Anyone use VPN to stream their local stations on services like Youtube TV when they're far away from home?

YTTV gives you access to your original local stations for 3 months while you are away. Don't know if this also applies internationally, but in the US it works well.

It looks like Spectrum is increasing my monthly bill for Internet by $5, $69.99 to $74.99.

This is for 200 Mbps which they actually achieve.

I don’t bundle any other services.

Uh, oh. I'm probably going to get that also. I started about 3 years ago at $59.99. No change in service, just change in price.

Edit: I went to my online bill and I already have the increase applied for January billing. I get an e-bill and it's on autopay so I didn't even notice. I guess it's time to check out the competition. Slower speeds but I don't need the speeds Spectrum is providing.

Last edited:
Uh, oh. I'm probably going to get that also. I started about 3 years ago at $59.99. No change in service, just change in price.

Edit: I went to my online bill and I already have the increase applied for January billing. I get an e-bill and it's on autopay so I didn't even notice. I guess it's time to check out the competition. Slower speeds but I don't need the speeds Spectrum is providing.

T-Mobile internet (using 4G LTE cell signal) is now available in my area! I should get my modem on Jan 6th. $50 per month with autopay for unlimited data at 'up to' 50Mbs. No contract, no commitment.

Looks like Spectrum's $5 increase will bring them negative revenue! I'll check out the T-Mobile internet for a week and then hopefully I'll be dropping off my Spectrum router at their office. That will be a great day!!!

I went to T-Mobile's internet website last night and it told me internet was not yet available in my area. But I put my name on the 'please notify me' list. This morning I got a phone call form T-Mobile. The rep asked "How are you doing today?" I responded that it depended on what she was going to tell me. She gave me great news!

T-Mobile internet (using 4G LTE cell signal) is now available in my area! I should get my modem on Jan 6th. $50 per month with autopay for unlimited data at 'up to' 50Mbs. No contract, no commitment.

I wish you good luck with it.
I tried that about a year ago and got terrible reception with it. Made no sense because I can see the nearest T-Mobile antenna from my window, only a few hundred yards away.

After an hour or so on the phone with their tech support, they finally determined that the nearby antenna was oriented for service in the other direction, and nothing they could do about it. :facepalm:

So, back to relying on the only other reasonable choice, Spectrum cable.

I wish you good luck with it.
I tried that about a year ago and got terrible reception with it. Made no sense because I can see the nearest T-Mobile antenna from my window, only a few hundred yards away.

After an hour or so on the phone with their tech support, they finally determined that the nearby antenna was oriented for service in the other direction, and nothing they could do about it. :facepalm:

So, back to relying on the only other reasonable choice, Spectrum cable.

Were you an existing T-Mobile customer who using a cell signal at home? Did you have cell phone signal issues?

What does everyone think of the recent update to the TCL Roku TV guide. They have incorporated all the free streaming TV channels into the Antenna TV guide and renamed Antenna TV to Live TV on the home screen. Home screen-live TV-left arrow click next to ok button. If it comes in Spanish don't panic, just scroll down and your antenna channels will come up first followed by free streaming TV channels 115-1100+. There is a lot and if you hate it as many do you can turn it off. I like it. There was such an uproar on Facebook cordcutters last week, everyone thought their TV was broken.

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_163451319.jpg
    IMG_20201231_163451319.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20201231_163343884.jpg
    IMG_20201231_163343884.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 26
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom