Windows 11 reveal!

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
Microsoft is revealing their new Windows 11 operating system, here. It starts right now (in 2 minutes).

I am so excited! We haven't had a new Windows for years. Just thought some of you geekier types might be interested too.

Of course the REAL geeks probably already got the pirated version that is out there and know all about it, but I'm waiting to get it straight from Microsoft.

Only saw a short write up, has any mention been made on how they are going to handle the upgrade and costs?

I just installed W10 on my desktop and laptop six months ago!

I think I will wait awhile before thinking about W11. At least until it has been in use for months and is stable. MS is not known as a high end QA shop.

Only saw a short write up, has any mention been made on how they are going to handle the upgrade and costs?
Looks like a free upgrade when it comes out in the Fall. Personally I'm waiting 6 months after it comes out before upgrading.

Looks like the announcement has a bug. The Windows tradition continues.
What a boring presentation! :p As REWahoo pointed out, first it was stalled nearly forever due to bugs. Then, once I could see parts of it, it was all fluff, like looking at the lovely/expensive home where Satya Nadella's parents live. What do I care about THAT? I don't want fluff, I want facts about Windows 11. LOL Oh well. Sorry I started this thread.

They didn't say when it will be released to the general public, but rumor has it that the release will be free to those already running Windows 10, and that it will arrive as an optional update sometime during the last three months of 2021.

Ha ha, none of my PC's meet the system requirements for Windows 11 according to the Microsoft Health Check app. Of course, it doesn't give any details as to why. I guess the idea is to convince me it's time to replace my 4 yo high end HP laptop! Good news is they will continue to support Win 10 until fall 2025.

Ha ha, none of my PC's meet the system requirements for Windows 11 according to the Microsoft Health Check app. Of course, it doesn't give any details as to why. I guess the idea is to convince me it's time to replace my 4 yo high end HP laptop! Good news is they will continue to support Win 10 until fall 2025.

The link for getting the health check app is available on this webpage.

After reading your post I got it, and found out that my 1-year-old high end Dell laptop meets the requirements. Whew, OK, passed THAT hurdle.

Will personal versions of Office run on it or is it a way to force everyone to subscription based relationships with Microsoft?

Will personal versions of Office run on it or is it a way to force everyone to subscription based relationships with Microsoft?

See, THIS is the kind of facts I was hoping they would address! Instead they just talked about how pretty their new icons are and how easy it is to switch between applications. Who cares. I'd like to know if I'll still be able to use Windows Media Player to play my music. It's perfect for my needs, but old and I am sure they'd love to eliminate it at some point.

As for Office, I use (free) Open Office and like it, but I know that some people need MS Office instead of a free clone (Libre Office is another one). I hope you won't have to go to a subscription version.

I noticed Windows 11 coming out around now when my parents were asking about buying a new laptop. Stores are definitely doing a last push to sell their Windows 10 products before they plummet in price. Windows 11 doesn't seem all that different from 10, the biggest difference I saw is it runs a bit more efficiently on old systems.

I also saw that Windows 10 will not be supported after another four years, which isn't that long from now. You can still use it, but it will less than ideal for a basic user.

Office is a little ridiculous, the functionality is not particularly better than various free software out there, but they charge a hefty annual fee for it, unlike anything I have seen except for some blockbuster games that offer constant major updates.

The only reason I keep windows in one PC is to run tax software. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a good tax program for Linux which is what I use for everything else. Too bad I'm a neanderthal so I'm reluctant to use browser based tax software, Maybe I'll just have to get over that.

What a boring presentation! :p As REWahoo pointed out, first it was stalled nearly forever due to bugs. Then, once I could see parts of it, it was all fluff, like looking at the lovely/expensive home where Satya Nadella's parents live. What do I care about THAT? I don't want fluff, I want facts about Windows 11. LOL Oh well. Sorry I started this thread.

Windows issues? Really? Oh wait...that's in their SOPs so I would say it went just as expected. :cool:

I absolutely cringe when I see my W10 desktop has "updated"...it's always an adventure to see what new challenge they give me. Last one was to "lose" my wireless adapter.

They may not admit it but that WILL happen...much like everything else. I expect in my life that cars will require a subscription to keep the OS in working order.

Last edited:
My last windows experience was on XP, and can honestly say I do not miss it.

I’m going from Win10 to Mac OS Big Sur, so I won’t see Win11…

Office is a little ridiculous, the functionality is not particularly better than various free software out there, but they charge a hefty annual fee for it, unlike anything I have seen except for some blockbuster games that offer constant major updates.
I got my Office 2013 from work with the Home Use Program (HUP) for $10. Still works fine. Excel is the best spreadsheet, but for my purposes any free "Office", like LibreOffice is all I need.

Looks like a good reason to convert my last windoze machine to Linux. Currently three are Linux based.

If there is any way for Microsoft to be more invasive on privacy than they are with Windows 10, I'm certain Windows 11 will do it.

Still using a copy of Office 2010 Home & Student (3 licenses per copy - I have two) with Windows 10. Despite the threats otherwise, MS is still patching Office 2010 with security updates. And even if they aren't, I am not opening Office files from the Internet or email.

I have two spare PCs and one laptop with Linux. It's just a matter of time before all of my online activities will be on a computer with Linux.

This is good to know because we are soon to be in the market for a new tower PC. I'll wait until Win11 is out - as I recall, the update to Win10 did not go well for a lot of people but a new install was fine.

This is good to know because we are soon to be in the market for a new tower PC. I'll wait until Win11 is out - as I recall, the update to Win10 did not go well for a lot of people but a new install was fine.
Now that you remind me, YES, that was true!! I bought a laptop immediately when they first became available with Windows 10 pre-installed, and it was great "from the word go". I never went through all the misery that I read others were having with it. Good idea.

Unfortunately I bought my present laptop last September, so I will probably going through upgrade misery like others this time.

It looks like most PCs will not work as they need a special security chip in them... I wonder how many have that chip...

SOOOO, 10 for me for awhile..

It looks like most PCs will not work as they need a special security chip in them... I wonder how many have that chip...

I think Microsoft's "health checkup" will tell you if your PC can handle Windows 11, and I'd assume it checks for that chip as well as other things. The link to the Health checkup on Microsoft's website is on this webpage.

I can’t find a reference to a special security chip, where did you see that? All I see is a minimum processor, but there’s been a minimum CPU with every update, they can’t make them backward compatible to everything.

That's the TPM chip, which does handles the encryption for the bitlocker, secure boot and so on.

SOOOO, 10 for me for awhile..
Most PCs will not work?

TPM chips were introduced in 2009 and the TPM 2.0 chip and standard has been around since 2014, so most WinPCs already have them unless they’re home built.

It’s a security benefit for users to have TPM…

Trusted Platform Module (TPM 2.0) - TPM 2.0 is a microcontroller that stores keys, passwords, and digital certificates. A discrete TPM 2.0 also supports Intel® vPro™ Technology and Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT). A Trusted Platform Module is a microchip that is often built into a computer to provide hardware-based security. Some, but not all, of the data we transmit throughout the day is sent unencrypted, as plain text. TPM chips use a mix of software and hardware to protect any important passwords or encryption keys when they are sent in this unencrypted form.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom