ZTE Wireless Home Phone Base - any experience?

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I’m considering this device. It uses a cell signal and SIM, but you can plug in a regular land line handset or base to make and receive calls. A user would think it was a regular old style phone line. I’ve searched the net but don’t find a whole lot of feedback.

I have an issue with DM’s current phone service. She’s in an assisted living, has lost her last 2 cell phones, and before that had a difficult time keeping them charged. She has cognitive issues and really needs an old style handset. AT&T is the only provider of landline service, they just increased the rate again, and they are truly gouging her.

This device looks like a real solution and I’m wondering if anyone has any experience using one. I would get it from Consumer Cellular https://www.consumercellular.com/shopping/details/home_phone_base/overview

DW and I had ZTE cellphones. They were very good and we liked them a lot.

However:

1. Support was not good. Never any firmware updates, did not allow for Android update. The phones were perfectly good and functional at the time we got new ones. The issue was that without any Android updates, new versions of apps were not allowing installation or running them.

2. ZTE was/is on a banned list of Chinese companies because the claim is that China is/can steal private information and it is a national security threat. I have no idea to what extent the claim was investigated, but it was at the US national level where all ZTE phones were banned by the military.

https://telecoms.com/504320/huawei-...om-doing-business-in-the-us-for-another-year/

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...er-crackdown-huawei-zte-equipment-2021-06-17/

I have no idea what the situation is currently, if any of the claims are true, etc. All I do know is what I've read, and it is unfortunate considering that the ZTE products are good for the price.

Last edited:
I have the ZTE base for my old landline number. I have it through Consumer Cellular. I have it as my backup phone number. It is an inexpensive second line for me. Consumer Cellular is very helpful and easy to do business with.

Yes, there was a recent thread that touched on this. I also think it was bobandsherry - looking for an easy phone for parents.

I bought an AT&T unit for my Mom when she was in Assisted living.It can work on a landline (not required), and also connects to cell phones. Pair a cell phone on Bluetooth, put the cell phone away somewhere on a charger. They never touch the cell phone after that.

There are similar systems, and I like that you can choose the cell phone/service separate from the unit, so get the carrier and plan that fits your needs.

-ERD50

An update. I got the ZTE unit from Consumer Cellular and yesterday installed it in mom’s room. I set it up first at home, just to make sure it was working, then brought it to her place. The set up directions were lacking and not straightforward, but I figured it out.

We’ll give it a week to see if any issues arise, and if not, then call and cancel her AT&T service.

The ZTE device is working perfectly. The new monthly phone bill has now fallen from $96 to $14.75. The most difficult part of the whole process was cancelling the ATT phone service.

Back
Top Bottom