A personal Covid Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan, this is the first time I had viewed this thread and I just read the whole thread and I'm stunned. What a terrible thing for Jeffrey, you and your family to have to suffer through. Best wishes.

Alan, at least now he is in a coma and not in the terrible pain and discomfort. I know this is so hard for you and your family. Prayers going up right now for Jeffrey and for you and your family.

Those are exactly our thoughts as well. This morning's phone call with him was very emotional, he continues to be in a lot of pain and just wants it to be over. The 3 of us knew that this might be the last conversation we ever have.

Oh, Alan...this is so hard to read...thinking good thoughts and praying hard for him, and for you all...

I just can't imagine. My heart goes out to all three of you.

Alan I am so very sorry things have progressed to this point. Still praying for you all and hoping things turn around for the positive soon.

I was stunned as I checked this thread after a break of a few days. I’m so very sorry. Your worry must be immense - I am sending as many good thoughts your way as I can.

Oh Alan, please don't lose hope. He's young and I presume he's healthy. The treatment plans have come a long way in the past year. I know you must all be scared to death, but try to hang on to your hope. I'm sure they are doing everything possible to get him through this. I continue to send my very best thoughts to you and your family...

Prayers for you and your family. I can’t imagine the worry and uncertainty you must be going through at this point.

Alan,

So sorry for your son Jeffrey, and for you and your family.

Prayers offered up for him to recover.

Best wishes and thoughts for you all.

It's weird. I just heard an interview with a fellow who calmly explained why he was not going to get the vaccine. A few of his friends had had CV, and it was like a bad cold, so why bother with the vaccine? He sounded calm, rational and like a reasonable person.

Then I read the updates to this thread and my heart goes out to Alan and his family.

I wish I knew the guy who was interviewed so I could send him a link to this thread.

Those are exactly our thoughts as well. This morning's phone call with him was very emotional, he continues to be in a lot of pain and just wants it to be over. The 3 of us knew that this might be the last conversation we ever have.

This is hard reading for me so I can only guess at how gut wrenching this is for all of you. Alan, we are all hoping for a turnaround and a good outcome for your son.

Thank you for continuing to keep your ER friends updated in the midst of this terrible situation.

I pray that Jeffery is comfortable and healing on the vent and that you and his Mother can lean on each other and family to get through this ordeal.

Continuing prayers for Jeffrey and your family, Alan.

I have been a member here for almost 16 years now and consider you all my online family. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers and for listening as I share this very personal experience.

I am so sorry to hear the news. I was shocked, same as others here.

Don't lose hope here. Even older people have come out of this. We are all rooting for your son and your family.

Has your son been given monoclonal antibodies? I saw it mentioned earlier, but if it was administered, I missed the post.

Hopefully , the vent will allow his body to rest and recover, along with whatever medical treatments they are giving.
Take care and know we are all here and praying for full recovery.

Don't lose hope here. Even older people have come out of this. We are all rooting for your son and your family.

NW is right. Tons of people come out of this after being on a ventilator for a while, so I'm sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

I am so glad that his doctor talked him into staying on the CPAP. I was shocked when I read that he was going to go on a ventilator. I will continue saying prayers for him and your family.

likewise...

Alan, a lot of people here are pulling for you guys

The doctor called about 30 minutes ago to say that while his lungs are badly infected with Covid plus a small area of lung with a secondary infection that they are treating with antibiotics he has no other underlying health condition. He is young, and his heart, kidneys etc are all functioning well. They will be keeping him on his front (proning) for 18 hours a day to help ventilation of the lungs.

Even if all goes well this will take at least 2 to 3 weeks.

I'm going to do something we do in our church family when someone has a crisis.

Tomorrow morning at 9AM CT..( the middle of the day for Alan) I am going to send up some prayers for his family.

I'm going to pray that Jeffery is comfortable and healing on the vent.

I'm going to pray that Alan and his family have some small measure of peace as they wait helplessly by the phone for news.

I'm going to pray for the medical people caring for Jeffery as they deal with the horrible reality of Covid.

Wherever you are and whatever power you believe in, you are welcome to join me as we send up prayers together for this family in dire straits.

Last edited:
The doctor called about 30 minutes ago to say that while his lungs are badly infected with Covid plus a small area of lung with a secondary infection that they are treating with antibiotics he has no other underlying health condition. He is young, and his heart, kidneys etc are all functioning well. They will be keeping him on his front (proning) for 18 hours a day to help ventilation of the lungs.

Even if all goes well this will take at least 2 to 3 weeks.

that's good news for sure

when not proning, if he can raise his hands over his shoulders that helps with breathing, also sitting up as straight as possible (if possible)

incentive spirometer also very helpful when he is able

Has your son been given monoclonal antibodies? I saw it mentioned earlier, but if it was administered, I missed the post.

Yes, as soon as he was admitted into hospital but it didn’t work. The article below from February describes how the new variants have already built resistance. (Kent variant = UK variant)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...pe-in-covid-treatments-fails-against-variants

Monoclonal antibodies: 'great hope' in Covid treatments fails against variants

Exclusive: no leading contender is wholly effective against all the South African, Brazilian and Kent variants

So basically, most of the front-running antibody therapies for Covid which are the front-running therapies for Covid, I should say – so the great hope – are lost to the South African and Brazilian variants.”

GlaxoSmithKline’s treatment still works against those variants, but not against the one that emerged in Kent in the UK.

But with the coronavirus mutating as much as it has done already, Cammack does not expect any of the current drugs to to be effective for long.

Alan - I cannot imagine what you are going through but am wishing the best for you and your family. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom