A personal Covid Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry to hear about the worsening of his symptoms, but it sounds like he is in a hospital that you know well and that you trust, both of which are huge pluses.

It is very good news that monoclonal antibodies are routinely available there, because that is absolutely not the case in the U.S.

Prayers for a speedy recovery so you are all together again soon.

Because his stats are swinging up and down they have decided to move him to HDU (High Dependency Unit) and put him on a CPAP machine. Before that they are going to do a scan of his chest and abdomen. We talked with the nurse who has been looking after him who assured us that it was precautionary and that in HDU he would be getting one on one care.

It's tough not being able to do anything so thank you all for listening. We are in self isolation until Wednesday morning, because we had been in close contact 8 days ago, so I can't even go walking in the hills and on the moor behind our house, plus we have been having such beautiful weather.

So I hand washed the car instead.

I attach the view from my window a moment ago.

Attachments

• IMG-0871.jpg
    IMG-0871.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 121
Fresh underwear for your boy and a hand washed car....y'all sure are clean people. ;)

Ahhhh...your son is getting the best of care and is very fortunate to have a loving, supportive family. Before you know it, all of y'all will be frolicking in the hills. (not sure if you've ever frolicked...come to think of it, I'm not sure if I have, but the thought makes me smile). :)

Last edited:
It certainly sounds as if they are giving him the best of care and attention. So many more treatments are available now; and the staff has so much more experience with treating Covid, then when the pandemic first started. Prayers for Jeffrey.

PS, when I was in the hospital a year ago March - I think they scanned every inch of my body (including chest and abdomen).

Last edited:
It sounds like your son is getting great care. I hope he makes a very speedy recovery.

The CPAP should keep his O2 saturation up until the inflammation settles down. They probably have him on dexamethasone and antibiotics too. My daughter didn't get as severe symptoms and I still I felt like my heart was getting torn out...I feel for you and your son.

My thoughts are with you and your family but it sounds as if your son is getting great care and of course COVID treatment has improved dramatically over the last year so that surely is in his favor.

The CPAP should keep his O2 saturation up until the inflammation settles down. They probably have him on dexamethasone and antibiotics too. My daughter didn't get as severe symptoms and I still I felt like my heart was getting torn out...I feel for you and your son.

Yes, they do have him on Dexamethasone and antibiotics, that much I know for sure.

Because his stats are swinging up and down they have decided to move him to HDU (High Dependency Unit) and put him on a CPAP machine. Before that they are going to do a scan of his chest and abdomen. We talked with the nurse who has been looking after him who assured us that it was precautionary and that in HDU he would be getting one on one care.

It's tough not being able to do anything so thank you all for listening. We are in self isolation until Wednesday morning, because we had been in close contact 8 days ago, so I can't even go walking in the hills and on the moor behind our house, plus we have been having such beautiful weather.

So I hand washed the car instead.

I attach the view from my window a moment ago.

Good for you for doing something productive.

When my wife became ill they said they rather she had Covid because they knew how to treat it now, particularly in young and healthy people.

(If you ever want to have one of those "how did we get here?" moments, have an ICU doc tell you they wish your wife had Covid.)

Sounds like he and you are really handling this quite well!

Hoping for your son's fast recovery!
It's really hard to have a loved one going through this and not be able to be with him.
Wanting clean underwear and ipad and expressing boredom all sounds like good signs.

Your family is definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad that he is being looked after so well. Hoping for a quick recovery for him.

I am impressed that the big vaccine push and the lock down rules in the UK mean that your son can get this intensive treatment early so he can bounce back quickly.

Let's hope he feels better tomorrow and is soon back home.

I wish every "youngster" who thinks Covid would be no big deal would read this thread and realize they have their head in the clouds. I'd also like my 61 YO BIL who works daily with my DH this time of year would read it too. No vaccine for him because it's no big deal he'll just take vitamin D and drink tonic water if/when he gets sick. We've worked together for over 45 years and this is the maddest I've ever been at him. In fact, I'm so mad I don't trust myself to speak to him or my SIL, who also feels bulletproof from Covid.

Thinking of your family Alan.

I am impressed that the big vaccine push and the lock down rules in the UK mean that your son can get this intensive treatment early so he can bounce back quickly.

Let's hope he feels better tomorrow and is soon back home.

I wish every "youngster" who thinks Covid would be no big deal would read this thread and realize they have their head in the clouds. I'd also like my 61 YO BIL who works daily with my DH this time of year would read it too. No vaccine for him because it's no big deal he'll just take vitamin D and drink tonic water if/when he gets sick. We've worked together for over 45 years and this is the maddest I've ever been at him. In fact, I'm so mad I don't trust myself to speak to him or my SIL, who also feels bulletproof from Covid.

Thinking of your family Alan.

I have shared the general gist of this with others who minimize the virus. If it only saves one it is enough.

I have shared the general gist of this with others who minimize the virus. If it only saves one it is enough.

I know Alan has had several family members ill with Covid and I can't remember if his son who is the youngest, is the first one to be hospitalized and in a version of ICU...

Continuing prayers, please keep us updated Alan, I feel like I personally know you and you are a friend.

Hoping for the best for your son.

It’s tough to see such a sunny day outside.

Would lift the mode to go for a hike on such a beautiful day.

I know Alan has had several family members ill with Covid and I can't remember if his son who is the youngest, is the first one to be hospitalized and in a version of ICU...

He certainly is, my sisters and their husbands are all in their 50s and 60s with worse health situations and they all were pretty sick but managed at home, 3 of them are still suffering with long Covid some months later. My BIL, in his early 60s has all sorts of health issues including a brain tumor, and when he caught Covid over Christmas we were really worried. He even has AFib and can’t be given blood thinners because of all the other medications he is on.

When our son caught it, in his 30s and no underlying health conditions we never expected this level of illness.

Very true. Alan's story has energized me to tactfully suggest the vaccine to some younger folk who will be eligible for it soon. I still think the 50+ crowd should get it first, but the guv disagrees. So they might as well queue up.

The damage this disease does is seemingly random. Hope the NHS is using some of the early interventions that are now available here and that Alan's son recovers fully with no lasting effects.

We had a Facetime chat with him today. :dance:

Tubes everywhere but looking and sounding very good (someone had even shaved him ready for the call). Other than antibiotics, antimetics and dexamethasone he has no idea of the names of some of the other drugs he is on, he tried to recall them but couldn't.

He couldn't take the feeding tube down the nose so today that has been removed and will stay removed provided he drinks his 3 protein shakes a day and other food they give him. He gets very nauseous when eating, but the threat of the reinsertion of the feeding tube, plus the antimetcs limiting the vomiting and nausea is helping.

The doc said this morning that he is making good progress and hopefully will be out of ICU in 2 or 3 days.

It was really good to talk to him via video :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom