A personal Covid Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

He just texted to say that the doctor has given him a pep talk to say that his long term prospects are much better if he stays on the CPAP even though he wants to end the suffering and go onto the ventilator. So he stays on the CPAP for now.

He can’t call to talk now because this particular machine fills his mouth.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all too. This is really a shock and brings it home to everyone.

I'm glad he's going to try to stay on CPAP as long as possible and avoid the vent. I'm sending encouragement to him to fight through the discomfort and beat this.

What a roller-coaster.. it must be awful to have to sit at home and wait for updates. Stay strong Jeffrey..you can do this.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all too. This is really a shock and brings it home to everyone.

I'm glad he's going to try to stay on CPAP as long as possible and avoid the vent. I'm sending encouragement to him to fight through the discomfort and beat this.

+1!

Very heartened to hear he responded positively to the pep talk!

(((hugs)))

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine your level of worry right now. Just know everyone here is thinking of you and Jeffrey and pulling for him to come through this awful virus healthy and well.

So sorry to hear this but having the choice to stay on the CPAP would appear to be a bit of good news in an otherwise rather bleak day for all of you. Continuing to send healing thoughts Jeffrey's way.

He just texted to say that the doctor has given him a pep talk to say that his long term prospects are much better if he stays on the CPAP even though he wants to end the suffering and go onto the ventilator. So he stays on the CPAP for now.

Great that the doctor is encouraging him in this direction. We are all pulling for him on this side of the globe. :greetings10:

So sorry to hear this but having the choice to stay on the CPAP would appear to be a bit of good news in an otherwise rather bleak day for all of you. Continuing to send healing thoughts Jeffrey's way.

+1. Sounds like he has a terrific doctor. Sucks that he is in so much discomfort, but staying off the ventilator seems to be a good move.

I'll be thinking of you and Jeffrey and your entire family.

{{{HUGS}}}

Continuing to send prayers of healing for your son.

I am so glad that his doctor talked him into staying on the CPAP. I was shocked when I read that he was going to go on a ventilator. I will continue saying prayers for him and your family.

Get better soon Jeffrey and mom and dad hang in there it will get better.

Oh Alan, it breaks my heart to read everything you guys are going through. Sending love and prayers of healing for you, Irene, and Jeffrey.

Oh my gosh... What a mixed bag of an update. Glad to hear that they are going to continue the CPAP machine rather than switch to the vent. Continued positive thoughts for you family.

My wife and I are thinking of you Alan and your son and family. I want to thank you for taking the time to share with us.

I can't imagine how difficult this is for Jeffrey and for you and his mother and your whole family.

I am glad the doctor feels the CPAP is the correct choice at the moment, and glad she was able to convince Jeffrey of this.

I am sending daily prayers for all of you and hope that Jeffrey's condition improves rapidly.

Is CPAP in lieu of high flow oxygen?

At some point, doctors found that it was better to give high flow oxygen than go on ventilation.

But CPAP isn't one I'd heard of for treatment.

At some point, doctors found that it was better to give high flow oxygen than go on ventilation.

I've read of CPAP as a treatment for many months now.

High flow oxygen is sort of like CPAP light-using a tight-fitting nasal cannula instead of a mask. The next step might be BiPAP (in which the pressure increases when you take a breath, than decreases when you breathe out, then a vent. On a vent, you have to be sedated. I don't know if they use BiPAP for Covid.

I'm glad Jeffrey's not on a vent at this point, but I'm sure he's quite anxious if he wants to go on a vent. Hang in there Alan.

Last edited:
The last time we FaceTimed with Jeffrey he was on high flow oxygen through a canula in his nose. Since then he has been on 2 types of CPAP machine to force oxygen into his lungs, one involving a tight fitting mask the other involving some sort of dome like a pressurized space helmet. The last text message we had I asked if we could FaceTime but he said that this version of CPAP meant he had stuff in his mouth.

The NHS has found that using CPAP machines has more success the longer they use it before resorting to a ventilator.

We had a phone conversation with him this morning and he said they were going to intubate him within the hour. We called the ICU at 11 and spoke to the doctor who confirmed that he is now on a ventilator*and they are in the process of putting a line into his neck to put in the medication he will need to maintain the medical coma.

We will call a couple of times a day to see how he fared overnight and to get the plan for the day. The doctor warned us that the situation can change dramatically up or down by the day, or even by the hour.* So now we wait.

Alan, at least now he is in a coma and not in the terrible pain and discomfort. I know this is so hard for you and your family. Prayers going up right now for Jeffrey and for you and your family.

Like others, we’re praying for your family Alan. I wish there was more we, or anyone, could do. Stay positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom