Are You Allowing Others Into Your Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 96 year old friend Bob was in our kitchen today. Wearing a mask, he dropped off his shopping list (I order groceries online for him) and he "borrowed" my dog for a few hours . Maintained 8 ft. separation. He's normally a very social guy, lots of friends, always doing something with someone in our neighborhood. Not now. He's doing the right thing and isolating, but it is really hard on him. That's why my dog now spends a lot of time with him.
Sad to think some people may be living the last few weeks or months of their lives in isolation and they aren't affected directly by COVID-19.

Sad to think some people may be living the last few weeks or months of their lives in isolation and they aren't affected directly by COVID-19.

Thank you. Your comment prompted me to invite him on a drive along the water with the top down. I hope he accepts. The sun is out.

Thank you. Your comment prompted me to invite him on a drive along the water with the top down. I hope he accepts. The sun is out.
Hopefully you didn't take what I said to mean your friend specifically. I was just thinking in general.

Dave, why isn’t your nephew living with his parents instead of you? He is their responsibility.

Yesterday morning Best Buy delivered the replacement cooktop I ordered 3 weeks ago. Fortunately they agreed to put it in the garage instead of at the front door as their e-mail said. We got an independent appliance installer scheduled to do the install/haul away on Monday morning. After I let him in, I'll stay far away and DH will stay in his mancave. I'll disinfect the kitchen after he leaves. Three weeks of cooking with 1 burner has tested my creativity!

We live in a CCRC and no one visits inside these days. Lawn chairs in the front yard (6 feet apart) separated by a cooler of cold Shiner Bock is an invite to any neighbor to stop by for a chat. BTW, our 600+ gang are all Covid-19 [mod edit] free.

Last edited by a moderator:
We live in a CCRC and no one visits inside these days. Lawn chairs in the front yard (6 feet apart) separated by a cooler of cold Shiner Bock is an invite to any neighbor to stop by for a chat. BTW, our 600+ gang are all [mod edit] coronavirus free.

Cause you have all been tested and are negative, right?:angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
We told our house cleaner today that we wanted to cancel her next two biweekly visits in April for her safety and ours, and offered to pay her now (via PayPal) for those, which she gratefully accepted. If even a few of her clients are not doing the same (to be charitable, the clients may not be able to keep working), we figured she may be concerned about her income, as many people are.

We had to let the furnace repair guy into our house today.

It's too late to help you in this instance, but for others here is an excellent series of videos on how to fix your furnace. For example, if the igniter on a gas furnace goes bad you still have a three to four second "window" of time in the start-up cycle to manually light the flame so the flame sensor will keep the furnace running. Kind of a PITA since it has to be repeated every time the furnace needs to run, but it beats freezing your buns.:)

Bound & gagged in the trunk?

Nemo you often make me smile. Thanks.

96 year old Bob suggested a picnic. We made sandwiches, drove with the top down, saw egrets and heron. The sun was out. After 2 weeks of isolation (no trips to grocery, dr. or anywhere.... house cleaner paid but asked to stay home) we feel pretty darn sure we're healthy, wouldn't have gone together otherwise.

Last edited:
Our last visitors left on 3/17 and since then, no one has been in our home. We have been out twice for groceries and once for take-out pickup. Being very careful to wash hands, clean things we bring in, etc.

We are in the process of starting a major remodel. Over the next few weeks, it’s possible that our GC, his subs, and/or City inspectors may need access to our home to finalize plans and budgets. We will likely allow that and will disinfect well after they leave. We will be moving to another location before they actually start working.

Internet cable repair guy just dropped by because DW hit the line with a rototiller. His megacorps forbade employees from entering homes starting yesterday. Which was fine for us since the damage was in our lawn. But I would’ve let him inside without a second thought if his job required it. He wasn’t symptomatic.

Internet cable repair guy just dropped by because DW hit the line with a rototiller. His megacorps forbade employees from entering homes starting yesterday. Which was fine for us since the damage was in our lawn. But I would’ve let him inside without a second thought if his job required it. He wasn’t symptomatic.

So if your problem is inside your house you have no cable until the pandemic is over unless you have the technical skills to fix it yourself?

As luck would have it I noticed water seeping from the bottom of our water heater. It's 25 years old so I know what's next. May as well get it done. We have a walkout basement so I plan to isolate the intrusion to that area.

So if your problem is inside your house you have no cable until the pandemic is over unless you have the technical skills to fix it yourself?

I suppose so. I haven’t lived like that since ‘04. Music from the CD player; digging out the vhs and DVD players in the garage. Hardly camping, but a big difference. I don’t even get regular television where I live, the reception is so bad.

You do realize that one of the reasons this has spread so quickly is that it is spread by people who are subclinical or asymptomatic, right?

You do realize that one of the reasons this has spread so quickly is that it is spread by people who are subclinical or asymptomatic, right?

Has it spread that quickly? The 2009 Swine flu infected a billion in a year.

How common is the transmission of asymptotic people? Seems extremely rare from brief casual contact as far as I can tell. We’re not stuck on a boat together and it’s not like I’d be holding his hand while he worked on my router. But if he had sneezed all over my console or something, I’d be a little freaked.

Nope. We saw our neighbors riding their bikes and invited them over to talk while they sat on our deck, we sat inside with the door and windows open (screens closed) at least 8’ apart while we chatted. It started raining and we passed them an umbrella (handle sanitized).

Has it spread that quickly? The 2009 Swine flu infected a billion in a year.

How common is the transmission of asymptotic people? Seems extremely rare from brief casual contact as far as I can tell. We’re not stuck on a boat together and it’s not like I’d be holding his hand while he worked on my router. But if he had sneezed all over my console or something, I’d be a little freaked.

I’m not a medical expert so I can’t provide any insights to compare the Swine flu to COVID-19. But I know we did not shut down virtually the entire country over the Swine flu. So if the medical researchers, public health officials, and elected politicians all agree we need to keep the country in virtual shutdown mode, I think it’s reasonable to assume that this virus has the potential to be significantly more dangerous.

If you have information to suggest otherwise, please share it with us.

We were doing fine here in our rural setting home up isolated until my wife’s niece and husband wanted to visit for a few days. I did object but to keep peace I had to go along with it. When they leave we are going to have to have a serious discussion on visitors. My wife understands but doesn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings but this is going to have to change hard feelings or not. My kids and grandkids are still an issue but hey they are our kids. Sorry for the rant.

I would have no problem letting a repair person in. I would do the common sense thing and keep my distance from him / her and they would respect me and do the same.

Hand sanitizer, and wiping down surfaces and knobs etc they touched would do the rest.

If I were elderly or immune compromised I would feel differently. What most seem to be forgetting is that eventually most of us are going to get this; so if one is not at immune risk, the virus is to be avoided, so as not to overwhelm hospitals etc...but it is certainly not an automatic death sentence.

Will be meeting with an insurance adjuster soon, but not at my house...large branch came off a tree and tore off front gutter/fascia board on my late relative's home that is up for sale.

Not sure if it damaged the roof yet...have to get it off (will need heavy equipment to lift)

Luckily it fell a few hours after I had my home-from-college kid over there mowing the lawn Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom