Calming thoughts, maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key ingredient for chicken noodle soup, an old fashioned cure all.

But the soup aisle was fully stocked. And frankly, folks in this town don't cook anything that complicated. My guess is the chicken section just started getting a bit low, and everyone grabbed some thinking it was their last chance.

I'm very glad I was at the supermarket to see the frenzy first-hand. It's a rare sight. I'm familiar with some theories of human behavior, but to see it in action is still amazing.

Don't make me relive the horror

I'm very glad I was at the supermarket to see the frenzy first-hand. It's a rare sight. I'm familiar with some theories of human behavior, but to see it in action is still amazing.

This is why I hunker down and don't leave the house on Black Fridays.

I was able to fix my recumbent trike yesterday. Had to replace the broken chain, replace the rear derailleur, both front tires, readjust the derailleur, and degrease the entire drivetrain. It's ready to go this morning.

I'm so fortunate to live in a small quiet beach town where I can enjoy morning rides and see the birds and other animals with a riding buddy without having to worry about close human contact.

I drove my car through the larger beach town further south and was appalled at the crowds of people with their children walking around in groups, others partying in the bars and out in the street. It seems like few people are concerned. I'm to the point where I don't care if those inconsiderate people get sick. They don't seem to care if the rest of us become compromised because of their behavior.

Cheers!

I drove my car through the larger beach town further south and was appalled at the crowds of people with their children walking around in groups, others partying in the bars and out in the street. It seems like few people are concerned. I'm to the point where I don't care if those inconsiderate people get sick. They don't seem to care if the rest of us become compromised because of their behavior.

I read a sobering article by an Italian journalist this morning. The point was that they had exactly this attitude, and that's why they're where they are now. The clear warning was that we still have time to change. To that I'd add a grain of salt; it may be too late. But I'm starting to believe there IS value in trying. Yes, there's a lot of hype. But the risk is real.

It's putting a strain on one close relationship already. My friend, an avid follower of right-wing media, calls it the "CNN Virus" and dismisses the whole thing as a hoax to make our Dear Leader look bad. This is not some wild-eyed nut; this is an intelligent person with multiple degrees and long experience in the health care field. I can deal with political loyalty, but I don't know what to make of this attitude.

It's putting a strain on one close relationship already. My friend, an avid follower of right-wing media, calls it the "CNN Virus" and dismisses the whole thing as a hoax to make our Dear Leader look bad. This is not some wild-eyed nut; this is an intelligent person with multiple degrees and long experience in the health care field. I can deal with political loyalty, but I don't know what to make of this attitude.

I'll side-step the political commentary, but I don't think it is "out there" to believe that the media is some of the cause for the alarmist hoarding we are seeing.

Yes, we should be taking precautions and being serious. But there is also too much media hype in my opinion. There's very little talk of the number of deaths (not enough drama to drive clicks). They don't put up comparisons to number of cases of the flu or other serious issues.

I don't believe there was this sort of hype and 24/7 coverage with the H1N1, which had ~ 3,000 deaths in the US before a National Emergency was called (see link - 3,900 estimated) before a national emergency was called. We have had 50? (I'll 2x check those numbers in a minute, and edit if my memory failed me - OK, see below)

edit: OK, here are some links:

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates/April_October_17.htm

CDC estimates that between about 2,500 and 6,000 2009 H1N1-related deaths occurred between April and October 17, 2009. The mid-level in this range is about 3,900 2009 H1N1-related deaths.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/swineflu/16606

Obama Declares H1N1 a National Emergency

by Peggy Peck, Executive Editor, MedPage Today October 24, 2009

-ERD50

Last edited:
Calming thoughts? I've caught up on my home brewing, and have filled all my storage (enough for about eight 5-gallon batches, a batch is a little more than 2 cases worth of 12 ouncers). Need to drink more before I can brew more (or buy more storage).

Also have 2 six gallon batches of wine ready to bottle. I think I'm set in that department.

I was kidding with DW, we should make it a challenge to use every old can and box and jar of food we have, and go through the freezer, before we do any shopping (other than for fresh veggies). It wouldn't hurt to clear out or throw out some old inventory.

-ERD50

We made the mistake of stopping into a grocery store yesterday to grab some snacks for a road trip. It was nuts! My hypothesis- all of the events and activities had been cancelled, so everybody went to the store. Once there, they got caught up in the panic buy and cleaned out some of the staples. Things that were completely sold out- rice, beans, flour, pasta, tuna, canned chicken, spam, TP, paper towels, kleenex, sanitizer, lysol, wipes, bread, mac & cheese, water, soup. Heavily decimated- pizzas, cheap meats.

I think it is getting time for us to get out of Dodge. I am afraid this area will get hit hard, if the virus spreads. Too many people! We are starting to pack.

I'll side-step the political commentary, but I don't think it is "out there" to believe that the media is some of the cause for the alarmist hoarding we are seeing.

Sorry, I'm not suggesting I know whether the media hype is over-kill, or not enough. Personally, my gut feeling goes back and forth between those extremes. I honestly think that serious journalists (not those with a political agenda) are doing the best they can, for the good of the country.

But I'm quite sure it's not all invented by some vast conspiracy, as some have suggested. Pointing fingers, from either side, is not helpful right now. We need to have rational, fact-based discussions on what, if anything, we need to do next.

I was kidding with DW, we should make it a challenge to use every old can and box and jar of food we have, and go through the freezer, before we do any shopping (other than for fresh veggies). It wouldn't hurt to clear out or throw out some old inventory.

That's going to be our approach after DW came back from trips yesterday to several grocery stores where she found many empty shelves.

Obama Declares H1N1 a National Emergency

by Peggy Peck, Executive Editor, MedPage Today October 24, 2009

I guess that in your rush to judgment that you didn't read beyond the headline:
Last April, in the early days of the H1N1 outbreak, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, speaking for the administration, declared a public health emergency. That declaration freed up supplies of oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and zanamivir (Relenza) from the national stockpile.

Please read the sticky for this forum (here). COVID-19 is far too important a topic to sidetrack it with political squabbling. For the protection of the community threads infected with partisan undertones will be isolated immediately and closed to further discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom