Christmas with family

Seems like some circular reasoning going on in this thread. If your vaccinated and you are worried that you can still get covid, then if your guests are vaccinated or not doesn’t matter, either one can still give you the covid. Wife and I are vaccinated, all my kids were essential workers so went to work through the whole pandemic and all ended getting covid (12 total including their kids) Some are vaccinated, Some aren’t worried about it enough after they had covid to get vaccinated. We were all together for thanksgiving and all getting together for Christmas. Spread from Michigan to Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Exactly!

I was just at a XMAS party at a neighbors house. One couple there - a nurse and a cop and teenage son- all had gotten the vaccines and all still got COVID.

Another neighbor said the same thing happened to him.

I feel so fortunate to live in a state with the lowest (or almost) infection rate. I think our Vax. rate is about 74% so I just don't worry too much when I get together with friends locally. My "intimate" friends have all been Vax'd so when we get together for Christmas (seating in a car port) Covid will be way down on my list of concerns.

I hope everyone stays safe this holiday season!

We have the tests on the counter, and are really looking forward to the gathering. My niece has built an outdoor venue for us, with good ventilation.

I'll be spending Christmas with family. That is something I am thankful for. Alas, one child is far away and wont be with us. But, I hope to visit after the Christmas travel madness is over. GF's kids will be at their dad's place this year, so I get to have her with me also.

We are all vaccinated including the youngsters. The older folks are boosted also. So I am feeling about as safe as I can be in these somewhat treacherous days.

FWIW, I keep an upstairs window partially open and the door the garage propped open. This increases air circulation throughout the home. There is nothing scientific about it, but as I stand near the propped open garage door I can feel a significant cool breeze enter the house. I do this at the cost of a few dollars more in heating expenses during the day. I think it's worth the money.

Last edited:
Just found out we are not invited to Xmas. I am vaccinated and Covid recovered and DH is Covid recovered only.

It’s hurtful. I feel terrible and quite frankly it’s not something we will recover from. The craziness this disease has brought to the world is just beyond sad.

My mother seems to think I should spend time with her without my DH, that was fine before I figured out DH wasn’t welcome.

What’s really lame is mom can’t stand to be alone. She’s a social butterfly and meets up with people daily, DH and I are homebodies and might go out once a month if at all. Most of our friends are Covid recovered comes with the prior first responder territory. We have been retired a year so no longer deal with the masses daily.

Sigh ��

We had our annual cousin's Christmas party last weekend. It went well. We kept it small, 20 adults and kids instead of the 35 we had 2 years ago. My aunt and uncle who are in their 80's came early to visit with my sister who they haven't seen in 2 years and left as soon as everyone else came. My great nephews who aren't vaccinated didn't come. I don't know if it was because of my request to be tested or some other reason. I had to scramble a bit to cut down the catering order. My biggest concern was my great niece who flew in from college in Florida the day before the party but it's been 8 days and I haven't heard of any illnesses, so I assume all good.

We will be going to my daughter's for Christmas. My daughter and SIL are vaccinated, but haven't had boosters. My 3 yr old Grandson and my daughter had Covid in July. She had been vaxxed with J & J, the rest of us with Pfizer. They have been living pretty much back to normal. I'm a little on the fence about going, but I hate the thought of missing another Christmas with the grandkids. We've had our boosters, I hope that is enough.

DH and I will spending Christmas alone at home together being thankful we are still able to spend time with each other. DH's extended family, cousins, invited us to a big dinner but we don't know most of the people attending. Given DH's health status we are still declining indoor dining invitations. Luckily they understand and said the invites will keep coming every year.

They have been living pretty much back to normal. I'm a little on the fence about going, but I hate the thought of missing another Christmas with the grandkids. We've had our boosters, I hope that is enough.
home testing for your daughter's family?

Our big family Christmas dinner is back on. Everyone is up to date on their vax but we still decided to all get tested before the gathering to put some minds at ease. I'll just do a home test, others will get tested at pharmacies.

Reactions: W2R
In many ways, this was a truly depressing thread to have read.

Even though in the past week cases have exploded here, our group of local friends met at Old Spaghetti Factory for Christmas lunch yesterday. There were 5 of us. The same group plans to meet Christmas eve at our apartment for Christmas turkey (or maybe ham). Afterwards, we plan to attend a candle-light service at church. I would never have asked for vaccine records from these folks, but, heh, heh, the restaurant wouldn't have let us in without them. YMMV

In many ways, this was a truly depressing thread to have read.

You aren't kidding. I do understand that those that are of compromised health should take precautions, but I think it's about time we live our lives again. I can't imagine asking friends/relatives about their vaccine status and/or to test before coming over. To each their own, I guess.

You aren't kidding. I do understand that those that are of compromised health should take precautions, but I think it's about time we live our lives again. I can't imagine asking friends/relatives about their vaccine status and/or to test before coming over. To each their own, I guess.

Wait until you are in your mid 70s! EVERYONE I know is in some-way "compromised." Cancer (with or without treatments), obesity, diabetes, coronary artery disease, auto-immune disease. Now let me tell you about folks other than myself! :facepalm::LOL::(

Wait until you are in your mid 70s! EVERYONE I know is in some-way "compromised." Cancer (with or without treatments), obesity, diabetes, coronary artery disease, auto-immune disease. Now let me tell you about folks other than myself! :facepalm::LOL::(

+1

When I hit 70 it hit back.

Just got off the phone with DD#2 discussing plans for everyone coming for Christmas (7 family members, all vaccinated and boosted) to be tested before they arrive. I have rapid tests for all of them.

We do a "Seven Fishes" Christmas eve dinner. We've had as many as 20 in the past. Last year we had just my sister. This year my sister has two house guests who will also be coming. We will have 7 people total. All boosted except younger son (his booster appointment is for the 27th.) We will all do rapid tests the day before.

The biggest risk factor is younger son... He's very good about masking, and all of his friends are vaxxed - but none are boosted except one. (That friend just got the shot because SDSU requires residential (dorm) students to get boosted before mid Jan.)

We do a "Seven Fishes" Christmas eve dinner. We've had as many as 20 in the past. Last year we had just my sister. This year my sister has two house guests who will also be coming. We will have 7 people total. All boosted except younger son (his booster appointment is for the 27th.) We will all do rapid tests the day before.

The biggest risk factor is younger son... He's very good about masking, and all of his friends are vaxxed - but none are boosted except one. (That friend just got the shot because SDSU requires residential (dorm) students to get boosted before mid Jan.)

I alway liked the "progressive dinner" idea. Start at one house for appetizer, move to the next house for salad, soup at the next house, etc. Uh, not this year though YMMV.

It’s funny how I keep hearing we should “live our lives again” after 800,000+ have died of this virus in our country. As if just having a bit more courage or something would make it all go away.

[mod edit]

I think we are all DONE with this situation but until it’s done with us we need to think about people other than ourselves. Sadly, that’s not something we have in abundance these days.

My youngest DD (23) just tested positive this morning. Which now has our house locked down causing oldest DD to not be on her flight back home this morning. Middle DD who’s here this week is now worried about catching it and spreading with her boyfriend’s family.

We’re all vaccinated but taking appropriate precautions but yet another holiday is impacted. [emoji53]

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s funny how I keep hearing we should “live our lives again” after 800,000+ have died of this virus in our country. As if just having a bit more courage or something would make it all go away.

[mod edit]

I think we are all DONE with this situation but until it’s done with us we need to think about people other than ourselves. Sadly, that’s not something we have in abundance these days.

My youngest DD (23) just tested positive this morning. Which now has our house locked down causing oldest DD to not be on her flight back home this morning. Middle DD who’s here this week is now worried about catching it and spreading with her boyfriend’s family.

We’re all vaccinated but taking appropriate precautions but yet another holiday is impacted. [emoji53]

Unless it's NEVER over. Of course I cannot see into the future, but I have chosen to try and live my life as best as I can and I think I take prudent precautions (was one of the first to take a booster shot) to "do my part." Also, I will not be on a cruise ships anytime soon, but I wouldn't have cruised regardless of COVID.

[mod edit]

I guess we all have our own definition of "living our lives again." With all my pre-existing conditions, I suppose I should just stay in bed all day and have stuff delivered. To me, that's not really living. I'll take a certain level of risk, mitigated as much as is practical. I do NOT throw caution to the wind. BUT I've decided two things: Life is for living and I AM going to die. It's a risk vs benefit calculation. I won't try to make that decision for anyone but myself - even if I disagree with their calculation. YMMV

I alway liked the "progressive dinner" idea. Start at one house for appetizer, move to the next house for salad, soup at the next house, etc. Uh, not this year though YMMV.

Doesn't work great if you "need" to drink to be around some family members. :D

Just found out we are not invited to Xmas. I am vaccinated and Covid recovered and DH is Covid recovered only.

It’s hurtful. I feel terrible and quite frankly it’s not something we will recover from. The craziness this disease has brought to the world is just beyond sad.;

For sure. Why won’t your DH just take the jab? That simple act would restore so much welcomed normalcy to your lives.

+1. Being vaccinated and boosted is easy and within our family is the price of admittance... just the way it is... if you don't get vaccinated and boosted then you're not welcome to join in... we'll miss you and wish you could be here but that's on you and not on us.

+1. Being vaccinated and boosted is easy and within our family is the price of admittance... just the way it is... if you don't get vaccinated and boosted then you're not welcome to join in... we'll miss you and wish you could be here but that's on you and not on us.

Same for my family.

None of us wants to risk the health of anyone in the family, so we do everything in our power to safeguard each other, which includes vaccines and boosters as needed.

Christmas Eve last year I stood on the lawn outside my sister’s house after hanging an oximeter on her door handle as she had just tested positive for Covid and had symptoms. I talked with my BIL who opened the door while she waved through the window. He said he had his usual winter cold but had been down and taken a PCR test that morning. Christmas Day his positive result came through. They both had a very torrid time of it but we’re not sick enough to be hospitalized fortunately. They both did have long Covid, he for 6 months and she still has it. Their adult son who lives with them also caught it but he only had flu-like symptoms.

This year should be much, much better and we look forward to seeing them as usual on Boxing Day. Fortunately we have no relatives or friends that haven’t been fully vaccinated and had a booster. Last night we had a Christmas get together at friends and all 5 of us tested ourselves beforehand. One of of our friends is 78 and had recently recovered from pleurisy and any respiratory illness she gets becomes serious, has done for many years. Saturday night we went out for a Christmas meal and seasonal quiz night at one of our favorite restaurants.

Unfortunately I won’t be seeing my other sister this Christmas. She has cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy, and starts radiotherapy on Jan 4th. We went up to visit her last month immediately before she started the treatment.

Last edited:
It’s sure been tough seeing family during this pandemic! Some overseas - travel didn’t happen.

FaceTime does a good job for us connecting with Europe.

Back
Top Bottom