Christmas with family

Yes, that is very much correct. The vaccinated one, if they have a breakthrough case, would have a mild case of covid. Those are facts as I know them.

Check it out and research it yourself if you don't agree.

This may not be the case if the vaccinated person is over 65/70 or immune compromised. That person, even though vaccinated, could have a serious case of breakthrough Covid.

We've had our boosters and are going out and about now, with life returning to normal here. Most adults in our area are vaccinated, and luckily all our family and close friends are vaccinated. We have had family visit for Thanksgiving, more coming for Christmas and our friends are back hosting parties. We went to a party a couple of weeks ago and didn't ask about vaccination status. I only know one person who is eligible to be vaccinated who isn't and we don't see them that often anyway. Hospitalizations are way down and most of those were actually kids and for some reason thirty somethings. All the clubs we belong to require being vaccinated to attend any events.

We have to show vaccination cards for most indoor activities here - restaurants, club activities, theaters, the zoo, etc. If you aren't vaccinated you can't even go out to eat here so I think those kind of rules limit the number of people choosing not to get vaccinated. The restaurants not checking vaccine status are getting shut down.

Last edited:
We had planned on having my wife's daughter and her family (spouse and 2 grown children) over for Christmas dinner since they are only an hour away. To address everyone's favorite main course I was planning on preparing fresh salmon and prime rib. We just found out yesterday that only the daughter has been vaccinated. We are in our 70s and have been very careful for the past 2 years with completing vaccinations including booster, mask wearing any time we indoors, distancing, and limit going out to grocery stores and doctor appointments.
Now it looks like Christmas dinner will be cancelled. There is not enough time for them to get completely vaccinated although if they haven't done it by now I doubt they want to for what ever their reasons are. Even if they test negative I don't know which test would have been used since some are not as accurate and if there would be a false negative.

I feel sad for my wife who was looking forward to a nice holiday dinner with them.

Her son,who is vaccinated but lives over 1k miles away and can't come, lives with a lady who was not vaccinated and now has Covid. Just more sad news.

This has not tuned out to be much of a happy celebration time for her and that makes me sad too.
Nothing can be done but I just needed to unload somewhere.

Cheers1

I sympathize. My wife and I skipped a Thanksgiving family celebration for the same reasons. We are also in our 70s. I have always been irritated when someone shows up with a common cold and passes it on. I would be far beyond irritated if my wife or I got Covid the same way. At our age it could mean death or a very serious long lasting illness with hospitalization. It simply is not worth the risk. There, of course, are risks everyday, but I try to minimualize them, and I am doing so with Covid. Sorry you cannot enjoy your family gathering. On the other hand, it is not just you. What would a member of you family think if you attended and got very sick or died. The person might never forgive themselves. We live in difficult times.

Being fully vaccinated and boosted I don’t care what others do either. It doesn’t factor into my decision making. I have returned to my meetup dining group and eat out with them usually twice a week in addition to all my normal activities.

Unfortunately, I had a fully vaccinated (including boosters) pass away a couple of weeks ago. He had some underlying health issues, but without Covid, he probaby would still be alive. The vaccinations reduce the odds, but does not eliminate the chance of getting Covid and whatever else can happen. Wished it were different.

But the vaccines do not work so well for everyone. For us old geezers (I am age 70) there is evidence the vaccines wear off over time. For immune compromised people (like my DH) the vaccines may not be effective at all. For us we have to rely on other people being vaccinated, testing negative and wearing masks. We want to live a life too.

Exactly...from another old geezer.

Well it sounds like you’ve made your choice so you have to live with it.

I have always been irritated when someone shows up with a common cold and passes it on. I would be far beyond irritated if my wife or I got Covid the same way.

I had a ffriend show up with a sick kid to visit after had a new baby. The kid had a little blanket she was waving all over and had it on our new born. When she got it on the mom, the mom told her to get that thing away from me since you've been sick and it has germs! I kicked them both out after that comment. I still can't believe how the mom was worried about herself getting sick but had no qualms about her kid infecting our new baby!

We have been invited to a niece's house this year, and they are requiring a negative test within 3 days. I thought about that and it really is a good solution. We all want to relax a bit and share a meal and that will make everyone more comfortable.
Everybody is vaccinated, even the children who became eligible recently.

Last edited:
My little granddaughter got her 2nd vax today. It's going to be a good Christmas :clap::clap:

Attachments

• kai vax.jpg
    kai vax.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 44
Yes it does. The unvaccinated are many more times likely to catch Covid and then pass it on to vaccinated family members who are older. The reason vaccinated people are having so many breakthrough infections is that they are exposed to unvaccinated people who have Covid. I am fortunate that everyone one in my family has had 2 doses and most of us 3 doses. Being age 70 if I had someone in my family who was not vaccinated they would not be invited for the holidays.

I have cancer, my DH has Severe COPD. We have spent last 20 months staying inside, orders delivered and only going out to doctor appointments and me being on chemo have to be especially careful. Our son and grandkids live in another state unvaccinated. They want to come for the holidays. We regrettably had to say no. I feel awful and have wavered in my thinking a bit because life is too short as it is but DH is a definite NO. So son is understanding but DIL not having anything to do with us….no one in her family is vaccinated. It’s just made that whole relationship a mess. He only has one brother (vaccinated) and we have no other family. Happy Holidays.

Seems like some circular reasoning going on in this thread. If your vaccinated and you are worried that you can still get covid, then if your guests are vaccinated or not doesn’t matter, either one can still give you the covid. Wife and I are vaccinated, all my kids were essential workers so went to work through the whole pandemic and all ended getting covid (12 total including their kids) Some are vaccinated, Some aren’t worried about it enough after they had covid to get vaccinated. We were all together for thanksgiving and all getting together for Christmas. Spread from Michigan to Wisconsin and Minnesota.

I have cancer, my DH has Severe COPD. We have spent last 20 months staying inside, orders delivered and only going out to doctor appointments and me being on chemo have to be especially careful. Our son and grandkids live in another state unvaccinated. They want to come for the holidays. We regrettably had to say no. I feel awful and have wavered in my thinking a bit because life is too short as it is but DH is a definite NO. So son is understanding but DIL not having anything to do with us….no one in her family is vaccinated. It’s just made that whole relationship a mess. He only has one brother (vaccinated) and we have no other family. Happy Holidays.

What a hard decision for you to have to make, but I certainly understand. You both have serious underlying conditions and I wouldn't take that chance either under those circumstances. I hope you will manage to find some joy in the holidays regardless.

Mod Note:

This thread is to discuss and share your personal Christmas plans. Not to discuss general vaccine status judgments, who can get sick from whom, etc.

Since memories on this topic often run short, we closed a similar Thanksgiving thread for straying off topic as well. Christmas is still weeks away, so we'd like to keep this one open a bit longer for others who may wish to talk about their plans.

As a reminder from the Covid Forum sticky:
Threads discussing vaccine positions, personal risk tolerance, behavior judgments, etc., go downhill very quickly and have proven non-viable for positive interactions.

taps on prior post...

What a hard decision for you to have to make, but I certainly understand. You both have serious underlying conditions and I wouldn't take that chance either under those circumstances. I hope you will manage to find some joy in the holidays regardless.

+1

So sorry this has happened but I definitely think you made the correct decision at this point. I would have done the same.

We kinda had a rehearsal of Christmas dinner last weekend - same people who will attend Christmas dinner but we were celebrating a birthday. Nobody wore masks. Everyone was up to date on their vaccine (3 doses for people over 65, 2 doses for everyone else). But since I had recently traveled to Paris, where I used the train and the subway extensively, I tested myself for COVID before going using a home test. I just became eligible for the booster and I have an appointment next week to get the shot. The extension of the health pass (which allows one to have a quasi-normal life here) will become dependent on receiving the booster starting on January 15, 2022.

Despite a successful rehearsal last weekend, several people now seem to be undermining the prospect for a family Christmas dinner this year. I think that the whole thing is about to get canceled even though we are all vaccinated.

Despite a successful rehearsal last weekend, several people now seem to be undermining the prospect for a family Christmas dinner this year. I think that the whole thing is about to get canceled even though we are all vaccinated.
So sorry to hear this! I hope it doesn't get canceled. But if it does, then hopefully their state of mind will improve before Christmas of 2022. :(

I will be grateful if I am able to spend Christmas with my husband this year . . .

We had a big family Thanksgiving meal with almost 30 people. Everybody was triple vaccinated, except for my 5-year-old grandniece. It was great, because big family gatherings several times a year have been a tradition, and we missed out last year.

I don't know yet about Christmas, and no sibling has stepped up to offer to host it. I wonder if we are all waiting to know more about this Omicron variant. If we cannot do it, that's OK because we already had our Thanksgiving together.

The only family I have left on my side is my sister who lives 500+ miles away and not able to travel. My wife has 2 grown children with families. Her son is 800+ mile away. The daughter lives an hour away but her husband and 2 grown children have not been vaccinated. They are only welcome to visit outside so a family Christmas dinner was cancelled. When weather warms up for meals outside they will be welcome with social distancing. What anyone else does is their business. What my wife and I do is for our health and our business and I don't care what anyone else thinks. I would not appreciate someone trying to shame, guilt trip, or impose their thinking of what to do. I have found during these past couple of years that the great majority of those who express their opinions that deal with medical issues, virology or scientific research don't have the background or a clue to understand what they are talking about.

Cheers!

Just DH and myself for Christmas, which is fine with us. Family all in other states, none of us are comfortable traveling right now. We are all on the same page, fortunately.

Back
Top Bottom