Christmas with family

It’s sure been tough seeing family during this pandemic! Some overseas - travel didn’t happen.

FaceTime does a good job for us connecting with Europe.

+1 Thank goodness for free international video calls. When I left home at age 18 in September, 1973, it was on a train with a rucksack and suitcase. Neither the little bedsit I moved to or my parents had a phone so communication was via letter, and I didn't get get to see them at all until I got the train home for Christmas. Pandemic aside, what an amazing world we live in these days.

We haven't seen our daughter in California since November, 2019. Planning and hoping to meet up face to face in March next year.

Unless it's NEVER over. Of course I cannot see into the future, but I have chosen to try and live my life as best as I can and I think I take prudent precautions (was one of the first to take a booster shot) to "do my part." Also, I will not be on a cruise ships anytime soon, but I wouldn't have cruised regardless of COVID.

Oh, my sister and brother-in-law are boarding a cruise today. They are 69 and 74, vaccinated, boosted and stocked with N95 masks. I spoke with my sister a few days ago and she was so nervous about all the testing requirements and precautions.

Cruising is one of their biggest pleasures and for years they have done 3 or 4 of them a year. While on a cruise, they are making reservations for the next one. It's a big part of their lives. So it's been since Feb 2020 and they are really missing it!

I hope their cruise goes well and they have a good time despite the restrictions and masking requirements. Just STAY HEALTHY!!

+1. Being vaccinated and boosted is easy and within our family is the price of admittance... just the way it is... if you don't get vaccinated and boosted then you're not welcome to join in... we'll miss you and wish you could be here but that's on you and not on us.

Ditto. We feel exactly the same way. It not about us, rather it is about the people or guests that we could possibly pass this virus on to. Especially our grandchildren.

I had to sit out Thanksgiving because DS had COVID- followed closely by DDIL, the 7-year old and the 5-year old. They finally took the 2 1/2-year old out for testing ( he displayed no symptoms to they chose not to go out and possibly infect others) and he was negative. I'm vaccinated and boosted. All had mild cases, thank God- the adults were vaccinated. It's a bit too soon after having COVID to get the older girls vaccinated but I'm going to gently push the idea.

So- Christmas looks good. DDIL's parents will be there and her Dad is undergoing immunotherapy for colon cancer so I have no concerns about their possible risky behavior. Her brother and SIL will also be there with SIL's elderly father- they're also very careful since he lives with them. I'll be taking the 2 girls to a local hotel- they love that. We use the pool and have meals in the room, so not a lot of exposure to others.

Yes, it's different this year- but better than last year, for sure.

Last edited:
It not about us, rather it is about the people or guests that we could possibly pass this virus on to. Especially our grandchildren.

+1
I don't have grandchildren to worry about, but my elderly DF is always on my mind when it comes to COVID. Especially now with omicron. DW and I will be taking a rapid test before going to visit him on Christmas Eve.

DW and I have cold symptoms, so I used one of the antigen tests this morning. I was negative.
This may bust our family get together attendance. Nobody wants a cold either. :(

My holiday family "visit" is tomorrow. Zoom call. Looking forward to this :popcorn:.

I'll make my commute to my computer for the short call.

Then watch the news coverage of all the expected difficult and risky travel folks face around the holidays.

We have a small dinner party scheduled for Christmas eve with friends (7 of us total). All vaxxed & boosted (except 1 not boosted yet).

One couple just let us know they were possibly exposed to COVID at her Christmas work party. The earliest they can get tested is Friday, so results won't be back soon enough. So only 5 of us now. What a drag. :(

We have a small dinner party scheduled for Christmas eve with friends (7 of us total). All vaxxed & boosted (except 1 not boosted yet).

One couple just let us know they were possibly exposed to COVID at her Christmas work party. The earliest they can get tested is Friday, so results won't be back soon enough. So only 5 of us now. What a drag. :(

It's sad. And it's also the kind of sensible thing we all need to be doing so that we can move this virus farther away from us and get on with our lives.

that is too bad they cannot get the self tests. those are instant. the one I used is two tests a minimum of 36 hours apart. If I tested Thursday night and Saturday morning negative both times, I would be comfortable with those results.

that is too bad they cannot get the self tests. those are instant. the one I used is two tests a minimum of 36 hours apart. If I tested Thursday night and Saturday morning negative both times, I would be comfortable with those results.

Yep, frustrating. We don't have a 36 hour window, though, before the party, so it wouldn't work even if they had home tests.

+1

When I hit 70 it hit back.

I was just thinking the same thing. 70 was a bad year (stents) and it's just gotten worse since. Before that, I could walk without pain, stay up late, dig footers for concrete, etc. etc. Suddenly, I'm an old geezer (with less hair). How does this happen so quickly?:(

Oh well, I'm still enjoying my life. What else can I ask for? YMMV

Concerns

My wife, adult son and I have a planned air trip on Christmas Eve. He does not live with us but will travel here by car. Plan is the three of us get together at our house tomorrow, do Christmas, spend day together then travel by air the 24th to Dallas area. There we will be meeting two other family groups for separate Christmas celebrations.

Our son reports he was exposed to two separate groups of friends this past weekend that have gotten sick and some from each group have tested positive for Covid.

So things are a bit up in the air . Whether he has symptoms or not he could carry. Everyone vaxxed except one family member. Ages include young adults through 50s and 60s.

So we have some testing to get done and decisions to make.

Our Christmas Holidays plans got shot down today. DS called us up, confirmed Covid. He's 2x Pfizer, had planned to get a booster in January, which would have been about 9 mo. after 2nd shot (too long, in my opinion). Got it from grandchild who came home last day of school not feeling the best. Both are confirmed. Granddaughter is 2x Pfizer when age 12 - 17 was allowed, so she's more recently vaxxed, and so far is fine. Other kids are ok, so far...
DS said that if he hadn't known it was Covid, he thought it would have been a bad case of the Flu. It's still ongoing.

So our post-Christmas Christmas family gathering has lost many of its members :(
After no gathering at all last year, I thought for sure we'd be able to do this one this year. The best laid plans...

I was just now able to order home tests from Walmart.com to be delivered 12/30

DGF's oldest son and family is here for the week.

Christmas Eve party tomorrow at my brother's is cancelled. SIL is not feeling well....no other details. There would have been about 30 of us there.

We cancelled our plans to go to Washington state (flights, hotels, rental car). Potential snow and worse, single digit temps and ice in an area that usually doesn't deal with that so well. Then one of the 7 yr olds got sick today, taking out that family. Another dropped out due to the weather. We'll get together at a better time (the last time was August)

Son just texted and advised his girlfriend is not feeling well. Got a COVID test a short while ago. We'll know more in 24 - 36 hours. They couldn't find a rapid test anywhere.
They both had COVID back in April 2020 and have both been fully vaxxed. Hoping it's just a cold.

Sorry to hear about everyone's change of plans, but I'm glad that people are trying to be extra careful and letting everyone know as soon as they think something is wrong.

We just cancelled our family plans today. 1 family member tested + and is staying out of state. Another family member got a call today that a co-worker tested positive. This family member can’t get tested because dr’s are now closed for holiday and there are no at-home tests available. So our normal day-long visit with them has become a curbside drive-by this Saturday afternoon. We are delivering gifts and a platter of chocolates and they are packing up a lasagna to-go for us.

It’s the best decision right now. NJ had 12,000 cases yesterday and 18,000 today. My worst fear is getting sick when everyone else is sick and can’t get tests, appointments, meds, etc. This is is reminding me of March 2020. I hope we can all get to the other side of this safely and quickly. Come on Spring!!

We are not feeling up to it today, but we have another 48 hours to get our act together. I think we will pick up the fresh pretzel rolls and sticks tomorrow, regardless.

Back
Top Bottom