Coronavirus Will Change The World Permanently. Here’s How.

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% vote-by-mail is far from the answer. states that have embraced this method have had decades to work out the kinks and pitfalls. as a former illinous judge of election i have serious doubts that most states could make the transition in less than 6-mos.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/07/danger-moving-vote-by-mail-168602

https://www.heritage.org/election-integrity/commentary/vote-mail-makes-fraud-and-errors-worse

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/491862-pandemic-sparks-partisan-brawl-over-voting-by-mail

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...safer-our-health-it-comes-with-risks-its-own/

Thanks. I read the articles, well, 1, 3 and 4 anyway since 2 is partisan and the mods admonished us not to go there. My take from the articles is, as you say, there are kinks to work out and decades of experience to copy directly from the successful states. Ultimately, what’s most needed is will and the states and countries that actually want all their qualified citizens to have the opportunity to vote figure out how to implement vote by mail, even the states where a voter can legally enjoy a hand roll while voting, so it can’t be that difficult.

Last edited:
Thanks. I read the articles, well, 1, 3 and 4 anyway since 2 is partisan and the mods admonished us not to go there. My take from the articles is, as you say, there are kinks to work out and decades of experience to copy directly from the successful states. Ultimately, what’s most needed is will and the states and countries that actually want all their qualified citizens to have the opportunity to vote figure out how to implement vote by mail, even the states where a voter can legally enjoy a hand roll while voting, so it can’t be that difficult.

WADR, how can you claim 2 is partisan if you didn't read it?:facepalm:

I consider all 4 sources partisan. Actually, I consider ALL sources partisan, but they can still provide a prospective and information for thought.

Sounds great in theory. But with all the hacking of allegedly secure web sites that are too numerous to mention, and the allegations of foreign interference in the 2016 election, it would take a lot to make me confident in the security of such a system.

Please allow me to break that down a bit.

"All the hacking" amounts to essentially nothing at the macro scale. Our economy is no more impacted than by any other past fraud. Think of the old unloading docks, where the shippers expected a certain percentage of "shrinkage," also known as theft, by the longshoremen. Billions of people make on-line transactions every day. Every credit card purchase is essentially an on-line purchase. I do all my banking on line, as does every large corporation.

Despite the occasional notorious hack, none of this is changing the profit margins of any company or government. Even if it happened, it wouldn't change the outcome of any large election.

The 2016 election interference that's talked about had nothing to do with the hacking of electronic voting systems. Yes, there were some high-profile attempts, and experts have pointed out some theoretical weaknesses in the way we develop and approve the software. But that's how improvements happen.

If this technology is good enough for citizens' personal banking, and for banks, stock brokers and retailers, it's certainly good enough for voting.

Last edited:
I can speak for what will change in my life:
- Have a little more food and cleaning supplies squirreled away. We did this when we had a 20-minute drive to the supermarket, but once we were living within walking distance of 2 markets and many restaurants, we became complacent.
- Will move away from the densest city neighborhoods. We were already planning to do this pre-virus. The benefits are more obvious now.
- Will pack masks and pay closer attention to public health conditions when traveling. I usually treat vacations as a break from all news!

Luckily, healthcare proxy and healthy diet/exercise are already in place.

Hopefully we will be prepared for the next one.
I was a bit surprised this a.m. when I listened to a briefing the previous potus gave in 2014. He urged congress to spend the money to prepare for future pandemics and for America to show the world the way to be prepared. He said basically said this is one thing that is a no brainer,non partisan that every American can support. Too bad the congress did their usual. Talk about learning the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom