Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
100,000,000 new doses from Phizer. That should help.

Let's get going on vaccinations, and hold our elected leaders feet to the fire on getting the vaccinations done properly and efficiently. I (We?) cut them a lot of slack in the first few months of this pandemic. They should have their act together by now. I'm tired of excuses and finger pointing.

]New Mexico just came out with a website to get on the vaccine list. I don't know if it's just a feel-good thing for the populace, but here is what it says:

Thank you for pre-registering for the COVID-19 Vaccine.
Over the next few months, New Mexico will receive limited supplies of COVID-19 vaccine. The entire Phase 1 (1a, 1b, 1c) of vaccine distribution in the United States will be reserved for specific populations while supplies are limited. During Phase 1a, New Mexico and most other states are vaccinating health care workers and residents and staff of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities. We will also be vaccinating other workers who provide direct, in-person services to patients, persons with disabilities, and persons living in congregate care settings who are at risk of exposure to the virus or who handle infectious materials. Tribal communities are also beginning to receive vaccine in Phase 1a and establishing their own allocation priorities. We do not expect to have enough supply to move beyond Phase 1a until early 2021.

New Mexico will finalize plans for the remainder of Phase 1 after reviewing final recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and considering the amount and pace of distribution of Pfizer and Moderna vaccine to New Mexico. Two major groups will be prioritized in future distributions:

• Essential workers identified by the National Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices
  • People most vulnerable to significant disease and death from COVID-19, including seniors, people with medical conditions that make them more susceptible to serious illness and death from COVID-19, and vulnerable communities that have been hit hardest by the disease
It will be several months before we have enough vaccine to vaccinate all New Mexicans in these categories.

For more information please visit https://cv.nmhealth.org/covid-vaccine/ .

You will be contacted as soon as you become eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.

Last edited:
^ Thanks. Those distribution numbers can't get too far ahead of those vaccinated numbers or there's a big issue as the doses have a limited shelf life, particularly the Pfizer-BT one.

Update: SIL still feels great, no problems with 1st shot. Brother got his first vaccine shot yesterday, feels fine. They get their 2nd shots the 2nd week of January.

Read an article out of TX dated yesterday discussing a hospital that had more shots that employees willing to take them so they started calling around town and inviting the pharamcists/techs and other health folks to come and get their shots. THey interviewed some of the folks getting the shot and they didnt require any proof. THey had a photo of a local politician NOT in the eligibility group with the vaccine needle literally in his arm. If I stumble across it I will post it.

added: What really tweaked me was the area this was in was near EL Paso which if any place in America sees the costs of COVID, its freaking EL Paso that's been overwhelmed and sending patients out of town for MONTHS and a hospital there cant come up with enough employees willing to take their shot. If anyone saw the consequences in their own community it should be them, but so much distrust and hesitation..

I thought it was Renaissance Doctor’s Hospital in Edinburg - near me and nowhere near El Paso. DH and I were pretty shocked.

I got my first shot yesterday - Moderna. No side effects yesterday, and just very mild soreness in the area of the injection site since this morning, only noticeable with certain movements or pressure on the area. Otherwise, I've felt fine and slept well.

I felt lucky to get it so early since I'm mostly working from home, in good health, and have no exposure to patients, but I'm health care organization affiliated, and they were offering it to everyone working for the organization. I was getting it earlier than some front line health care workers in the region were able to get it.

Last edited:
Feeling a bit depressed at only 1 million vaccinations being given thus far. At that rate, it'll be years before my turn in the queue arrives. :(

me too. But Im trying to see it like a new car assembly line that they just turned on the first time. Its moving slowly to work out the problems, then they will speed it up. I also hope/hope not/hope/hope not that alot of vaccine deniers will say no thanks and the vaccine folks will realize it and go to the enxt priority level. Worest case scenario they dont realize it and sit around navelgazing for days/weeks hoping that dental hygienists or whoever they are waiting on will have a change of heart.

Feeling a bit depressed at only 1 million vaccinations being given thus far. At that rate, it'll be years before my turn in the queue arrives. :(

That number (the CDC tracker) is already three days old, and based on more detailed trackers linked upthread, is probably missing a whole lot of data. CDC's tracking in general lags badly. So it is likely that a lot more than 1M doses have been administered.

I too wish it would go faster, but just having a vaccine (two vaccines) before the end of 2020 is amazing.

Ive been following Virginia's site for numbers and they report both number of new confirmed cases by date reported and date of symptom onset. Also death by date reported and date of death. If I'm reading correctly, it is taking a few days for numbers on the ground to get reported so stats are a few days behind. I expect the same for vaccine numbers, and also the slow start getting procedures down are causing what we see as delays.

Less than 1 year from the virus being identified to over a million vaccines administered.
I'm sure our parents would have loved to see something like this for polio.

I'm just thankful that I can stay home and I have an N95 mask for when I go out, and AFAIK I'm healthy, and I take vitamin D (I'm switching to a D and C combo supplement in three weeks). Unfortunately, I think my blood type is A+ which increases the chances of having a bad case of COVID, but I don't see me getting a high enough viral load to cause a problem. When I finally go to the dentist, that's another story. People who haven't had a checkup for over a year and make an appointment for one should be in a higher priority group for the vaccine.

We are still in the midst of the holiday season, and even though front line caregivers keep on working, lots of people on the admin side of things where numbers are tallied and reports are sent upstream are taking some time off. Numbers for cases, deaths and vaccinations will all be wonky for another couple of weeks.

Less than 1 year from the virus being identified to over a million vaccines administered.

1/3rd of 1% of the population in two weeks time means a very long wait may, well await, for many of us. I wasn’t complaining, simply observing. There is a difference IMO.

I'm confident the rate of vaccinations will accelerate substantially over time. Gonna take a few weeks to work the bugs out and get things up and running. Keep the faith.

1/3rd of 1% of the population in two weeks time means a very long wait may, well await, for many of us.

Keep in mind that there are two other vaccines that should come online in February: Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca.

Both of these are interesting. The J&J vaccine is administered as in one-shot regimen. The AstraZeneca vaccine is much cheaper than the others at $3 a dose. Neither requires fancy freezers either.

And there are more out there in trials.

I'm confident the rate of vaccinations will accelerate substantially over time. Gonna take a few weeks to work the bugs out and get things up and running. Keep the faith.

My thoughts entirely.

Keep in mind that there are two other vaccines that should come online in February: Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca.

Both of these are interesting. The J&J vaccine is administered as in one-shot regimen. The AstraZeneca vaccine is much cheaper than the others at $3 a dose. Neither requires fancy freezers either.

If I ran Pfizer I would want to get as many of my doses out ASAP. Once a one shot and done vaccine hits, assuming it's equally good, why go for the two dose version?

Last edited:
CVS is supposed to start giving them out soon. Patiently waiting on it.

I have set my expectations for a shot in June. Until then, I won't worry about it. If it comes early, I'll be grateful.

My wife and I both work in healthcare, and got the vaccine today. Got a little choked up when we got the call that we could get it, it is a big relief to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

My wife and I both work in healthcare, and got the vaccine today. Got a little choked up when we got the call that we could get it, it is a big relief to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Ain't that the truth. Like Gumby, I'm expecting early summer for myself. But if it comes earlier.....I will be pleased.

I heard that sending people out to do injections at nursing homes was going slow.

That's to be expected.

OTOH, they're injecting front line health care workers so the logistics for them are simpler, as the vaccines are delivered directly to where may of them work, so presumably they're just going to a different part of the facility.

They're not for instance having to drive there, find parking, find where they're giving the vaccinations, fill out paperwork, etc.

So nursing home residents, it's going much slower but health care workers, it's going much faster than it would for average person who has to go to the places where vaccinations are taking place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom