Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every person vaccinated is one less host, right? So it's all good, probably. Distribution seems so convoluted because every State has its own priority list. It's a mess, IMO, until more supplies show up. It's just that not every recipient has the same public health value. Some people have contact with more people than others, and some people are more likely to fill up the hospitals than others. Sort of a conundrum, actually. DW is mad at the big shots cutting in line, but those people could be the biggest superspreaders. Who knows?
I think the plan my state has published makes good sense, and I don’t think a national plan would be better. You go when you’re eligible and any pharmacy or medical office can easily tell if you’re eligible, even if enforcement isn’t perfect. A system where each person is considered based on their unique “public health value” would be ideal, but an admin nightmare that could also be gamed and would just slow the process without improving rate of vaccinations. We don’t need to slow things down with prescriptions of an equivalent. Big shots are going to cut in line no matter what, that’s been true for centuries. Our goal should be whatever gets the most people vaccinated as soon as possible, with a good attempt at priorities - not making perfect the enemy of good.

Attachments

• 22F74549-1711-4A21-AA51-48F2594122BE.jpg
    22F74549-1711-4A21-AA51-48F2594122BE.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
My DD is a nurse who is currently breastfeeding. She is scheduled to receive the vaccine next week and plans to take it.
They're actually allowing her to take it? Interesting to me in that those under 16 are not allowed the existing vaccines today.

Does anyone know if immunity/vaccine itself is transferred to baby thru breastfeeding or not? Surely it's known that it's not.

They're actually allowing her to take it? Interesting to me in that those under 16 are not allowed the existing vaccines today.

Does anyone know if immunity/vaccine itself is transferred to baby thru breastfeeding or not? Surely it's known that it's not.

Yes, it’s her decision. She has nurse friends who are breastfeeding and have already received the shot. Her OB encouraged her to take it. So she’s going to take it.

Let’s keep this thread on topic - vaccine distribution. There are other threads to discuss immunity, effectiveness, and related topics.

DW has an upcoming DR appt. Her medical group sent her a survey asking if she wanted a vaccine when available, not sure, or a no. She replied yes and will be contacted and given instructions when her age group is ready to be vaccinated.

My medical group is not involved in scheduling or administering Covid vaccine at this time.

I didn't realize that the vaccine also helped with sleep. My youngest who works in a Covid Ward has her first shot, and suddenly I am sleeping better.

Every arm isn't the same. "One size fits all" injections might result in some yelps, and I don't mean the online review :LOL:

Read today that Kroger is hiring 1000 injectors for the vaccine doses.

Maybe someone should invent a device where they can put 100 or so arms in vices alongside each other & then drop 100 needles down into the arms & inject. That should speed up production & thus immunity.

Put me down on the list of can wait for vaccine. I'm actually enjoying not having to go into the office along with the savings from staying home. I'd expect my work to encourage us to get vaccinated as soon as possible, but I'll wait as long as possible...

My brother is scheduled to get the Pfizer vaccine on Tuesday. He is a doctor. He currently gets tested once per week with the PCR test. That won't change after the vaccine. I'll see how well he tolerates both doses. We won't get the vaccine until much later in 2021 per what our doctors have told us. Given that only 1 million were inoculated during the first week, I hope the pace picks up or else we'll be waiting a lot longer. There are already reports of providers offering the vaccines to those who are willing to pay to jump the line.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coron...id=clicksource_4380645_4_three_posts_card_hed

That should be interesting, two weeks after he gets the second shot he should have full immunity.

So if he gets infected after that, we might have a better idea if vaccination prevents infection or not.

This is in contrast to the trials where they just monitored people for symptoms instead of regularly testing with PCR to find asymptomatic as well as symptomatic people.

Dr friend scheduled to get it this week
Niece, who is an RN working in ICU, got hers this week--Yay!

Correct, the current vaccines do not make the claim that a vaccinated person definitely can't transmit the virus. It might seem intuitive that they can't, but the documented science doesn't say that...yet.

So if the vaccine does not stop transmission of the virus, then it does make the most sense to vaccinate the people most likely to end up in the hospital and the people you don't want calling in sick (front line workers) first. The decisions of some States makes more sense with that in mind. I had been considering a vaccination list that interfered with the spread.

That should be interesting, two weeks after he gets the second shot he should have full immunity.

Not fully immune, but maybe around 95%, which will drop over time, although how quickly is yet to be determined.

So if the vaccine does not stop transmission of the virus, then it does make the most sense to vaccinate the people most likely to end up in the hospital and the people you don't want calling in sick (front line workers) first.

Since the vaccine is NOT 100% effective, it only makes sense that some people who have been vaccinated will become infected and shed the virus. It doesn't taken an expert to figure that out. The trials showed that some people who got the vaccination still got COVID-19. But if it's 95% effective, or even somewhat less, and drops over time, it certainly still makes sense to get vaccinated, to me. In fact, I already have as have many of my healthcare co-workers, although some are scared of needles and won't get it, yet anyway.

Last edited:
Right - from a government's perspective, it is first and foremost important to keep people out of the hospitals. In the short term, that's even more important than getting them back to work...so that's why the nursing home people are getting vaccinated first (because they tend to get sicker than everyone else).

So if the vaccine does not stop transmission of the virus, then it does make the most sense to vaccinate the people most likely to end up in the hospital and the people you don't want calling in sick (front line workers) first. The decisions of some States makes more sense with that in mind. I had been considering a vaccination list that interfered with the spread.

Not fully immune, but maybe around 95%, which will drop over time, although how quickly is yet to be determined.

I believe 95% efficacy means that out of the tens of thousands of people in the trails for the vaccine, 95% of those who were vaccinated (as opposed to getting the placebo) got protection, at least from symptomatic covid.

It doesn't mean that each vaccinated person had 95% protection or had 95% of the expected titers of antibodies and T cells.

I believe 95% efficacy means that out of the tens of thousands of people in the trails for the vaccine, 95% of those who were vaccinated (as opposed to getting the placebo) got protection, at least from symptomatic covid.

It doesn't mean that each vaccinated person had 95% protection or had 95% of the expected titers of antibodies and T cells.

If I remember from the advisory committee meetings I listen to the 95% was simply a percentage of the people that got the vaccine that still got the virus. That is 5% of total population that contracted the virus got the vaccine. I don't think we know if they get a less effective antibody load or if the body just didn't produce any in reaction to the vaccine but for both Pfizer and Moderna trials, none of the vaccinated population that contracted the virus had serious problems that we have come to expect. All vaccinated that contracted the virus (5%) had mild case of the virus.

I don't think they are saying that, they are saying they don't know if it will stop transmission not that it won't stop transmission. Big difference and just one more thing we don't know about this virus and about the details of vaccines.

However, I do think we should vaccinate the vulnerable to a bad outcome first. It will be several months before we can get to herd immunity and people in long term care facilities are still about 40% of deaths so I think we need to get to them first. Of second importance are those that are most exposed to the public. Medical staff, public transport workers, and even grocery store workers. They can prolong the pandemic's impact and keep others from working that has the lock down impacts.

Another way of saying it is, 100 people got vaccinated, and were told to go about their business in their usual way, i.e. be exposed to COVID. 5 of those got the virus, compared with [some larger number than 5] of the placebo group.

I have also seen statistics to the effect that of 100 vaccinated people, nobody got a really severe case of COVID, compared with some number of the placebo group who did.

If I remember from the advisory committee meetings I listen to the 95% was simply a percentage of the people that got the vaccine that still got the virus. That is 5% of total population that contracted the virus got the vaccine. I don't think we know if they get a less effective antibody load or if the body just didn't produce any in reaction to the vaccine but for both Pfizer and Moderna trials, none of the vaccinated population that contracted the virus had serious problems that we have come to expect. All vaccinated that contracted the virus (5%) had mild case of the virus.

Should be possible to figure that out eventually. Right now, keep on with masks, social distancing etc. Even after your shot.

+1 Absolutely! Without a doubt the best thing anyone can do at this time and for the foreseeable future until we know more about long term effects. Whether you get the vaccine or not. This practice is not harmful. It's inexpensive. And it saves lives - maybe yours, someone in your family, or your neighbor. It is what considerate people do who care about others in the country.

Cheers!

+1 Absolutely! Without a doubt the best thing anyone can do at this time and for the foreseeable future until we know more about long term effects. Whether you get the vaccine or not. This practice is not harmful. It's inexpensive. And it saves lives - maybe yours, someone in your family, or your neighbor. It is what considerate people do who care about others in the country.

Cheers!

We're talking about distribution here, did you see the mod comment on the previous page?

I don't recall any of the vaccine-related data saying that immunity will drop over time, certainly not definitively - perhaps a "maybe" or "we don't know" not not a Will.

Yes, the number of antibodies from those who had survived covid does appear to drop over time, but even that hasn't been directly correlated to immunity dropping.

I see this logical error often in the press. Not knowing if X is true is not the same as knowing that X is not true. In the legal world, we sometimes framed it as "absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence."

We're talking about distribution here, did you see the mod comment on the previous page?
Actually I was responding to an earlier post prior to the mod's comment as I was reading through posts in order. But thank you for your reminder.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom