Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend showed me a change notice he just received for his dose #2.

The mail combines and conflates instructions for Dose 1 and Dose 2 appointments in such a way that it's hard to tell where and when people are now supposed to show up for each dose. Using a T chart to keep the information separate, we finally teased the following out of the email. It reminded me of untangling my grand-kid's shoe laces before she learned to tie them right.

After reading it three times we finally figured out that his original appointment is still valid. At least we think so. Dose 1 people are being moved to a new site. But, appointments at the new site are already full, so they get to add 14 days to their appointment date and then show up at the same time. Unless they get a notice that the time has changed. If you can't make the new appointment time, go online and find another one wherever you can.

Dose 2 people simply bring in their card to show they had their first dose and get their second dose as currently scheduled at the original site. He must bring the card showing he received dose 1, or it's no dose 2. Apparently, their records are not so good. And, if he gets an email telling him his appointment was rescheduled to the new site, ignore it.

We agreed he should go to his first appointment. If we're wrong then wait two weeks and go to the second appointment at the new site. One way or the other he should get his shot.

Last edited:
Dose 1 people are being moved to a new site. But, appointments at the new site are already full, so they get to add 14 days to their appointment date and then show up at the same time. Unless they get a notice that the time has changed. If you can't make the new appointment time, go online and find another one wherever you can.

Dose 2 people simply bring in their card to show they had their first dose and get their second dose as currently scheduled at the original site. He must bring the card showing he received dose 1, or it's no dose 2. Apparently, their records are not so good. And, if he gets an email telling him his appointment was rescheduled to the new site, ignore it.

We agreed he should go to his first appointment. If we're wrong then wait two weeks and go to the second appointment at the new site. One way or the other he should get his shot.

How could they possibly make it any more complicated and difficult? :banghead: Is there even one of us that could have produced such a terrible scheme (if that was our responsibility), and still kept our jobs?

It is necessary that you wear masks while in the courthouse. However, jurors and lawyers may remove their masks when speaking."

Defeats the purpose of wearing masks in the first place.

There was a picture of a man in a crowd holding his removed mask and droplets spewing out of his mouth.

Defeats the purpose of wearing masks in the first place.

There was a picture of a man in a crowd holding his removed mask and droplets spewing out of his mouth.

I think a lot of people will opt out of jury duty here when they see that people will be talking without masks. And good reason to.

I don’t see how the court can deny anyone from opting out based on court participants going unmasked.

I think a lot of people will opt out of jury duty here when they see that people will be talking without masks. And good reason to.

I don’t see how the court can deny anyone from opting out based on court participants going unmasked.

That wasn't an option the judge gave prospective jurors, but I didn't ask. To me the risk was so miniscule, I was glad to serve.

This is SO frustrating!!! The county keeps calling me to 'accept' an appointment in either Hercules, Richmond's iron triangle, or Discovery Bay .... all over 20 miles from my home. Not happening. Especially since the local supermarket is also giving it

I was excused from jury duty (60+)

Last edited:
This is SO frustrating!!! The county keeps calling me to 'accept' an appointment in either Hercules, Richmond's iron triangle, or Discovery Bay .... all over 20 miles from my home. Not happening. Especially since the local supermarket is also giving it

WADR, Are you really turning down vaccine appointments because you have to drive 20 miles? :facepalm:

Your call.

We are getting our first shot tomorrow, 15 mile drive (mostly highway).

WADR, Are you really turning down vaccine appointments because you have to drive 20 miles? :facepalm:

Your call.

We are getting our first shot tomorrow, 15 mile drive (mostly highway).
It's 20+ miles each way. And yes, too far, limited local availability but I'll wait. It's opening up so rapidly they're calling to get people in

I drove about an hour each way for my vaccinations and was glad to do it. I know people who have gladly driven 100 miles each way to get the vaccine.

No need to panic if your vaccine shot from Pfizer is delayed a few weeks. It seems that the lower 52% effectiveness number was brought down by the first two weeks after the shot. After two weeks, effectiveness rises to 85%. Not quite as good a two shots, but better than 0% of no shot.

Note: Don't break out the bubbly quite yet. They still don't know how long this level of protection will last without the 2nd shot, and the study was mostly younger people. So you may need to eventually get the 2nd shot some time later this year.

Yes, the link is behind a paywall:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/single...-11613723218?mod=hp_lead_pos1#comments_sector

The Covid-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE generates robust immunity after one dose and can be stored in ordinary freezers instead of at ultracold temperatures, according to new research and data released by the companies.
The findings provide strong arguments in favor of delaying the second dose of the two-shot vaccine, as the U.K. has done. They could also have substantial implications on vaccine policy and distribution around the world, simplifying the logistics of distributing the vaccine.
A single shot of the vaccine is 85% effective in preventing symptomatic disease 15 to 28 days after being administered, according to a peer-reviewed study conducted by the Israeli government-owned Sheba Medical Center and published in the Lancet medical journal. Pfizer and BioNTech recommend that a second dose is administered 21 days after the first.
During the period when the data was gathered, a coronavirus variant that was first detected in the U.K. and is considered more contagious than the original pathogen made up over 81% of confirmed infections. The data amount to strong evidence that the vaccine is highly effective against a mutation that has forced European governments to prolong their lockdowns.

Last edited:
It's 20+ miles each way. And yes, too far, limited local availability but I'll wait. It's opening up so rapidly they're calling to get people in

Good luck on finding a location near you.

We got our first and are scheduled for our second shot at a location 38 miles away (76 miles round trip) and were absolutely thrilled to have the opportunity to get it.

Last edited:
In the beginning it was impossible to find any available appointments locally, so I drove 21 miles each way to a clinic connected to the major hospital system in the state. I have been a patient of the same hospital system locally for 20+ years, so I had confidence the other clinic also knew what they were doing! :D

I wasn't thrilled about having to navigate to a place I'd never been before, but I was less thrilled about having to wait who knows how long for a local spot.

Bird in the hand, and all that.

Just out of curiosity what is your magic mileage number for driving to be protected? I imagine that people in your position drive state and local vaccination providers up a tree.

Perhaps some day they will bring the vaccine directly to your house. It's not really a problem to anyone but you, since someone will take the vaccine you don't want.

all over 20 miles from my home. Not happening. Especially since the local supermarket is also giving it.

Wow. I'd gladly drive 200+ miles each way if I could get the vaccine.

Last edited:
DH and I received our second Pfizer vaccine this morning. So relieved to have both of these shots, so I don't have to worry about weather and trying to get there. Very pleased with how WV has handled this process. No side effects yet.

I wanted to update that DH and I felt a little fatigued that night and the next day. I also felt like I had what I call a half of headache the next day. I felt a little off. DH said that his joints hurt the next day. We both woke up on 2/17/21 and felt completely back to normal.

Just out of curiosity what is your magic mileage number for driving to be protected? I imagine that people in your position drive state and local vaccination providers up a tree.

Perhaps some day they will bring the vaccine directly to your house. It's not really a problem to anyone but you, since someone will take the vaccine you don't want.
CVS & Safeway are within walking distance (4 miles RT). Safeway has a waiting list / CVS won't offer to my group until March. March is basically next weekend

Not me. I'm on Gayl's side on this one! :greetings10:
This is a bit like the "What would you do if you won the lottery" thread. But got me thinking. 20 miles away is a blink of an eye, of course I'd go that far. 200 miles, probably not. That's at least 6 hours. One might argue "what else have I got to do", but I might miss SGOTI saying something about the pandemic that's "wrong" :LOL:

I drove DW to a CVS in the next county over to get her jab last week. No big deal for us.

She talked to a woman there who had driven 80 miles to get there and said she was happy because she had another appointment 200 miles across the state from her that she could cancel.

Some people are motivated to get their jab. Some people not so much.

We were aggressive in finding a location an hour away and took the vaccine the literally the first chance we got.
Although we have been very careful to reduce exposures, every day before vaccination is another chance for something unexpected to cause an exposure.
The current weather delays were semi-predictable, and there's always "out of the blue" stuff like a fire at the vaccination factory, having a heart attack and going into a hospital that houses Covid patients, etc.
One of our adult daughters has a saying that "Life is full of choices. Choose wisely."
She usually repeats that saying any time a friend makes a bad choice and gets bit in the ass.

I guess it's all relative. 20 miles is quite a way here ..... all the way to SF or Oakland. And I'd pass a number of vaccine sites to get there.

I'm in SW FL.

A few weeks ago, someone on Nextdoor posted that he and his wife drove 1100 miles to TX to get their shots.

And my neighbor and her hubby drove to Richmond VA (934 miles one way) for their shots.

omni

That's CRAZY!!!!!! I thought we weren't supposed to travel more than 120 miles RT ! How do you eat, sleep (I guess cramped up in car), etc? Nope. I'll get mine when I can walk there, have a cup of coffee during my 15 minute wait, walk home

That's CRAZY!!!!!! I thought we weren't supposed to travel more than 120 miles RT ! How do you eat, sleep (I guess cramped up in car), etc? Nope. I'll get mine when I can walk there, have a cup of coffee during my 15 minute wait, walk home

Enjoy the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom