Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI was affected economically because we were dying. We also get the economic hit as well for all the tourist/bar/restaurant things.

Wow! That's a bit harsh. I can see a Four Yorkshiremen episode building.:facepalm:

An economy can recover, it might take time. If you were worried sick about your older relative that got Covid in the nursing home and died, that's pretty permanent. HI has very strict lockdown travel rules which worked but every action has a reaction.

Let's hope things rapidly find a "new" normal for all of us.. I want us all to be happy and covid stress free.

The economy in HI has devastated many folks - perhaps you could make a case that it's not as bad as losing a loved one, but things like crime, drug abuse, domestic violence, homelessness, etc. have gone through the roof - primarily due to the issues associated with Covid in the state. There was a murder close by in our usually tranquil neighborhood, apparently due to Covid stressing a friendship.

I don't want to get into a peeing contest over this, but Covid is NOT just about the death count (we have one of those as well - and it's been terrible. OUR kupuna in the nursing homes were ALSO hard hit. We lost folks we know just like folks on the mainland - and we lost a couple of those folks as well.)

We WILL recover, economically, but every past recovery (from the usual stuff) has lagged the mainland by YEARS. I don't think state to state comparisons are particularly useful as we're all different and we have all approached the virus in different ways. Looking down the road, perhaps the various state's experiences will be instructive for the next, similar event. As ever, YMMV.

Wow! That's a bit harsh. I can see a Four Yorkshiremen episode building.:facepalm:

The economy in HI has devastated many folks - perhaps you could make a case that it's not as bad as losing a loved one, but things like crime, drug abuse, domestic violence, homelessness, etc. have gone through the roof - primarily due to the issues associated with Covid in the state. There was a murder close by in our usually tranquil neighborhood, apparently due to Covid stressing a friendship.

I don't want to get into a peeing contest over this, but Covid is NOT just about the death count (we have one of those as well - and it's been terrible. OUR kupuna in the nursing homes were ALSO hard hit. We lost folks we know just like folks on the mainland - and we lost a couple of those folks as well.)

We WILL recover, economically, but every past recovery (from the usual stuff) has lagged the mainland by YEARS. I don't think state to state comparisons are particularly useful as we're all different and we have all approached the virus in different ways. Looking down the road, perhaps the various state's experiences will be instructive for the next, similar event. As ever, YMMV.

I don't disagree which is why I said I wish everyone a speedy return to pre Covid times.. the end of the covid story has yet to be written..I don't think the total suffering can ever be quantified.

I don't disagree which is why I said I wish everyone a speedy return to pre Covid times.. the end of the covid story has yet to be written..I don't think the total suffering can ever be quantified.

I have an idea. Let's write a book! Naaaahhhhh! Too much like w*rk.:facepalm::LOL::cool:

That would be the world's longest book. But, joking aside, we need to learn the lessons of COVID. They were hard lessons and we don't want to forget them.

We are full time RVers and don’t actually live anywhere although our domicile is South Dakota.

We spent the first part of the winter in TX and we qualified for vaccines based on comorbidity factors. We signed up in the Rio Grande Valley, then Dallas in a couple of places when we moved north, but we were long gone out of TX before we got our first invite to get the vaccine. Since then we have gotten vaccine emails (that we couldn’t take advantage of) from 3 different places in TX.

We signed up in SD just in case we had to drive there, and they called us here in TN to offer shots. Luckily, TN opened to under 65 with comorbidities on Monday and I got online and found availability in the next county over for Friday appts. They never mentioned anything about having to be state or county residents, there was nothing to that effect in the confirm email and when I googled the question I found a news article that said there was no such restrictions. I guess we will find out Friday!

It's astonishing to see how badly some states are bungling the roll out of the vaccine. It has been pretty smooth here in Oklahoma and there seems to be plenty of shots to go around. There are a few ways to sign up, but an enterprising young man has created a tracker that has worked exceptionally well. You can get text alerts or view a map that can be narrowed by which dose and if it's Pfizer, Moderna, or J&J. The only bad thing is that we have had to drive a little ways to get it, but all in all...no real issues here.

But, before you start planning your road trip to flyover country, you need to know only Oklahoma residents may get the vaccine.

I think this is very different state to state. PA is a high demand state. They are getting one of the larger allocations of vaccines, but there is so much demand. I do think that PA is not allocating it equally among the counties and that I do not know why or how they fix that. I grew up in the state and have many elderly relatives I am still in contact with and they are all desperately trying to get appointments for the vaccine. Some have been successful and some not. I helped my Dad get a vaccine because he couldn't navigate the online platforms himself (he lives in a rural community and they have very spotty internet access). Now I am working on getting his Aunt's (my great Aunt's) signed up.

I currently live in MA and here also the demand far outpaces the supply. Everyone wants it here. They have mass vaccination sites up and running 7 days a week and they are not running out of people that sign up for every appt. As of today, now all teachers/childcare providers and school staff or eligible and they are scrambling to get the slots that are still all taken by the 65+ population because they are not through them all, and they have made a serious dent in that population. We have one of the highest vaccine administration rates in the US, over 86% of our allocation has been put in arms and we get a good amount of the allocations per all the states. We just don't have people saying no they don't want the shot. At this point until we get down to say the under 35 population we will not see many saying no to the vaccine. MA got hit hard and fast last spring with many many deaths in long term care facilities, prisons and homeless shelters. We have been under some of the strictest mandates in the country ever since because of what happened in the spring. So here, your get out of jail free card is to get the vaccine and everyone knows it.

The "acceptance rate" of people getting vaccinated continues to increase, but still seems to be less than 50%. I'm hearing reports that even the few medical facilities that don't require their people to get vaccinated, are running around 50%.

Until that improves dramatically, we'll never reach herd immunity.
Unless all the un-vaccinated people get the virus and die, or recover with some immunity.
:(

they opened it up to high-risk 55+ here so I'm getting stuck next week

they have accelerated distribution for the state since we have a surplus of moderna and not everyone eligible is getting vaccinated

Last edited:
After 7 strike outs in the computer lottery,for the Covid vaccine, I got my second Shingles shot. I waited my two weeks after my second Shingles vaccine, then started looking into getting the Covid vaccine. I found my local Walmart is taking appointments. I have one for Mar 16th. I guess they expect there to be enough supply.
The application ask a bunch of health questions. One was, "Have you had any vaccine shots within the last 4 weeks?" I said yes, I still got the appointment. :confused:

Last edited:
Question for those who've gotten vaccinated. Maybe I'm just paranoid. The first dose I had soreness for a couple of days after. I got the second dose yesterday. I didn't feel any pinch or pain while getting it or any soreness afterwards.

Now I'm thinking that the needle didn't get to my muscle and the second dose was just subcutaneous. Is there anyway to know for sure? I guess if I get Covid, I'll know...lol

Last edited:
Question for those who've gotten it. Maybe I'm just paranoid. The first dose I had soreness for a couple of days after. I got the second dose yesterday. I didn't feel any pinch or pain while getting it or any soreness afterwards.

Now I'm thinking that the needle didn't get to my muscle and the second dose was just subcutaneous. Is there anyway to know for sure? I guess if I get Covid, I'll know...lol

I had no reaction at all to either dose. From what I've read, there's a wide variation in how people react to either or both, & whether there's a severe reaction or none doesn't have anything to do with its effectiveness.

I had no reaction at all to either dose. From what I've read, there's a wide variation in how people react to either or both, & whether there's a severe reaction or none doesn't have anything to do with its effectiveness.

I think that's right. A large percentage of people in the vaccine trials had no reaction whatever. Reporting tends to focus on those who had a significant reaction, but they are in the minority. So I think you're fine.

Signed DW and I up yesterday evening with the LSU health science site and this morning checked our email and had an appointment for this afternoon. They said we could come anytime if we wanted to come earlier or could go Saturday if we wanted the J&J. Vac instead of the two part. Went first thing today when the vaccination site opened It was a sit in the car drive through. In and out in under 1 hour. All in all it was pretty easy. It appears this area there are plenty of vaccine available for people that are in the allowable groups. We feel very fortunate as friends of ours elsewhere and people on this site reporting hunting for the vaccine and long waits.

I was at the grocery store on Monday early evening wheeling a nice tri-tip roast, asparagus and cheap merlot around in my cart and happened to be in the back near the pharmacy. The technician at the pharmacy had a cancellation and an extra dose of J&J vaccine on offer. Quickly dug out my ID and insurance card and 15 minutes later I was at the check stand with a big smile, a small bag of groceries and a vaccination.

Had a little soreness at the injection site and was a little underpowered on my gym workout on Tuesday but no other side effects.

We have tentative plans for a week in Mexico at Playa Del Carmen in May. IF lovey wife gets her shots in time will go together ... otherwise it’ll be me and my very fun 96 year old father-in-law with toes in the sand and a Modello beer on hand in May.

Got first poke today, Pfizer shot from Fairfax County health department, Virginia.
The poke hurt more than I remember any other shot, but no soreness at all, even rubbing my other arm :cool:

Mr. A. had zero reaction to either Pfizer shot. I'm sure at least one got in there!
Competent nurses and technicians usually manage not to hurt you when they do an injection. Maybe a little sting.

Question for those who've gotten vaccinated. Maybe I'm just paranoid. The first dose I had soreness for a couple of days after. I got the second dose yesterday. I didn't feel any pinch or pain while getting it or any soreness afterwards.

Mr. A. had zero reaction to either Pfizer shot. I'm sure at least one got in there!
Competent nurses and technicians usually manage not to hurt you when they do an injection. Maybe a little sting.

I had the same reaction as Ncc1701 (first shot). Never even felt in go in. I did have some soreness the next few days.

I am with you. Competent people can make it a painless procedure.

I felt nothing when I was vaccinated, even though I watched the needle go in.

I was reading the comments about vaccination from one of the big medical sites (can't remember which one) and they said that if you feel like crap, especially after the second dose, you should be happy because that means your body has "mounted a robust immune response."
They also said that if you don't experience any side effects, you should be happy that you missed the fever/aches/etc.
There seems to be a contradiction there...
:confused:

FWIW, DW and I just had a slightly sore arm the day after the Pfizer first shot.
After the second shot, she just had the slight soreness again but I had the whole enchilada- aches & pains, mild fever, headache, tiredness, etc. for two days.
I tried, but it was hard to be happy about that.

I felt nothing when I was vaccinated, even though I watched the needle go in.

I had all the anthrax vaccines (5 or 6) in my right shoulder almost 20 years ago. One side effect to this is I no longer feel any needles going in. That anthrax cocktail must've damaged some tissue I reckon.

I’ve had my 2 doses of Pfizer. For both, I had the same nurse give me the shot. I never felt anything when she jabbed me. Not a thing. I was busy talking during the first one and didn’t even know she had done it yet. For the second shot I kept my mouth shut and watched her. Same exact results... in... press the injector... back out. No sensation at all. For both shots, I also had no arm pain. If I pressed the spot, I could feel a little sensation, but not even close to soreness. I like her. She knows how to give a shot.

As for the other side effects, dose 2 gave fever/chills and left me feeling under the weather for 24 hours, but then back to normal.

Last edited:
Not really, I don't think. Maybe younger people's immune systems react more indignantly to Bad Unknown Stuff than older people's. Or maybe it's just one of those differences among people.

I was reading the comments about vaccination from one of the big medical sites (can't remember which one) and they said that if you feel like crap, especially after the second dose, you should be happy because that means your body has "mounted a robust immune response."
They also said that if you don't experience any side effects, you should be happy that you missed the fever/aches/etc.
There seems to be a contradiction there...
:confused:

FWIW, DW and I just had a slightly sore arm the day after the Pfizer first shot.
After the second shot, she just had the slight soreness again but I had the whole enchilada- aches & pains, mild fever, headache, tiredness, etc. for two days.
I tried, but it was hard to be happy about that.

...As for the other side effects, dose 2 gave fever/chills and left me feeling under the weather for 24 hours, but then back to normal.

Same thing for me. Weird thing was that the side effects came on suddenly and ended suddenly. Came on full tilt over the course of an hour 12 hours post dose 2 and ended during the course of about an hour about 24 hours later. I could feel the change as it was happening.

I got my 1st vaccine yesterday.
Relatively painless. Arm was very sore and tender a few hours after the injection.Still tender this morning but it is diminished considerably.
No other side effects. It was Pfizer.

We are full time RVers and don’t actually live anywhere although our domicile is South Dakota.

We spent the first part of the winter in TX and we qualified for vaccines based on comorbidity factors. We signed up in the Rio Grande Valley, then Dallas in a couple of places when we moved north, but we were long gone out of TX before we got our first invite to get the vaccine. Since then we have gotten vaccine emails (that we couldn’t take advantage of) from 3 different places in TX.

We signed up in SD just in case we had to drive there, and they called us here in TN to offer shots. Luckily, TN opened to under 65 with comorbidities on Monday and I got online and found availability in the next county over for Friday appts. They never mentioned anything about having to be state or county residents, there was nothing to that effect in the confirm email and when I googled the question I found a news article that said there was no such restrictions. I guess we will find out Friday!

Pleased to say we got our first shot with no trouble here in TN today! The county health dept handled it as a drive through. We used the address of the park we are staying in when we signed up on line but provided our SD drivers licenses when we got in line and there was nothing said at all. The car in front of us had South Carolina plates. No reaction for either of us so far besides a sore spot at the injection site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom