Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unexpectedly vacinated!

Woke up today and vaccine was the last thing on my mind. But here I am, 3pm and I just got the first dose of Moderna!

Yeah, I'm one of those people... you know, stick it in an arm before it spoils.

This was completely out of the blue. Here's what happened. A friend of ours has kept her nursing license up to date and is now volunteering as an injector. Today she was administering doses at a nursing home. The nursing home carefully counted the required doses, but things happen, i.e. residents get sent to the hospital or it turns out they actually were already vaccinated. So, they had a few left overs. All the staff who wants a vaccine have gotten them either through normal distribution or left overs. So now it was a scramble to find arms in time. We were a few minutes away, so we got the call and, bam, next thing I know DW and I got the first dose.

Did not see this coming!

Woke up today and vaccine was the last thing on my mind. But here I am, 3pm and I just got the first dose of Moderna!

Yeah, I'm one of those people... you know, stick it in an arm before it spoils.

This was completely out of the blue. Here's what happened. A friend of ours has kept her nursing license up to date and is now volunteering as an injector. Today she was administering doses at a nursing home. The nursing home carefully counted the required doses, but things happen, i.e. residents get sent to the hospital or it turns out they actually were already vaccinated. So, they had a few left overs. All the staff who wants a vaccine have gotten them either through normal distribution or left overs. So now it was a scramble to find arms in time. We were a few minutes away, so we got the call and, bam, next thing I know DW and I got the first dose.

Did not see this coming!

I eagerly began reading this account as I thought - from the title that, perhaps you had sat on a syringe! :LOL:

But, seriously, my Big Sis got vaccinated for small pox when we were little kids. Sometime shortly thereafter, she was playing with one of the neighborhood stray cats which promptly scratched here which caused "double vaccination." If any of you recall what a SP vaccination looks like, imagine cat scratches that look like that. Not a pretty sight.

Happy for you that you got to take advantage of an otherwise wasted dose. I hope you have no problems scheduling the 2nd dose.

Got my first shot of Moderna two weeks ago here in my temporary abode in Louisiana. Didn’t feel a thing either. It’s open to anyone 16 or over with some comorbidities that even include smoking. So basically anyone. Also they’re going begging. You can log onto cvs.com and get one tomorrow.

There was an item on the national news last week that in 4 southern states, Louisiana being one of them, there isn’t enough demand.

Got my first shot of Moderna two weeks ago here in my temporary abode in Louisiana. Didn’t feel a thing either. It’s open to anyone 16 or over with some comorbidities that even include smoking. So basically anyone. Also they’re going begging. You can log onto cvs.com and get one tomorrow.

There was an item on the national news last week that in 4 southern states, Louisiana being one of them, there isn’t enough demand.

Send the southern states' extra supplies to us.:D Though things ARE going faster, we have a way to go. There are still announcements on the nightly news, from time to time, about how many doses we have received. It's never enough for the demand. I guess it's just one more "price of living in Paradise" but YMMV.

Happy for you that you got to take advantage of an otherwise wasted dose. I hope you have no problems scheduling the 2nd dose.
I'll explain the 2nd dose in a bit. First, since this is the "Covid Vaccine Distribution" thread, I want to talk about that for a second.

There's no conspiracy or anything in my county. However, it did become very evident to me through this experience that there is a "silent network" of distribution occurring in parallel to the highly public events and sites you see.

Maybe I'm just basking in a vaccine high, but this seems to make some sense to me. I got vaccinated through a tiny specialty pharmacy in my neighborhood that very few people know about. They have the equipment (freezer) for their specialty drugs (I think arthritis) which happen to also work for both mRNA vaccines. They have been contracted by state and county to target groups in mass events. My RN friend today was doing "mop up duty" in a nursing home, catching those not vaccinated yet. This is the kind of thing that has to happen through these back channel distributions. She has also worked events that target specific groups in the state's distribution plan, for instance, teachers. Our teachers got moved up to a special group. Although some teachers found vaccines on their own, many got it through this distribution network which quietly vaccinated whole groups in one event -- like for example the preschool workers at my church.

So now, I am an anomaly since I won't get the second shot delivered to me at a nursing home. We've been told we'll be grouped into second-shot clinic events with some of these other groups this pharmacy have served. She says it is easy since the numbers are so small. They don't even have appointments. We'll see. I admit a bit of anxiety regarding it.

The whole thing is interesting. I feel like I opened to the door to a speakeasy and found a whole new way to get my drug.

Last edited:
I'll explain the 2nd dose in a bit. First, since this is the "Covid Vaccine Distribution" thread, I want to talk about that for a second.

There's no conspiracy or anything in my county. However, it did become very evident to me through this experience that there is a "silent network" of distribution occurring in parallel to the highly public events and sites you see.

Maybe I'm just basking in a vaccine high, but this seems to make some sense to me. I got vaccinated through a tiny specialty pharmacy in my neighborhood that very few people know about. They have the equipment (freezer) for their specialty drugs (I think arthritis) which happen to also work for both mRNA vaccines. They have been contracted by state and county to target groups in mass events. My RN friend today was doing "mop up duty" in a nursing home, catching those not vaccinated yet. This is the kind of thing that has to happen through these back channel distributions. She has also worked events that target specific groups in the state's distribution plan, for instance, teachers. Our teachers got moved up to a special group. Although some teachers found vaccines on their own, many got it through this distribution network which quietly vaccinated whole groups in one event -- like for example the preschool workers at my church.

So now, I am an anomaly since I won't get the second shot delivered to me at a nursing home. We've been told we'll be grouped into second-shot clinic events with some of these other groups this pharmacy have served. She says it is easy since the numbers are so small. They don't even have appointments. We'll see. I admit a bit of anxiety regarding it.

The whole thing is interesting. I feel like I opened to the door to a speakeasy and found a whole new way to get my drug.

Joe, so glad you got your first dose and you did not have to travel very far to do it. Yes there is a silent network of vaccinations here in NC (probably in every state). Sometimes it is both what you know as well as who you know....

In my area, if you are 65+ you can walk up and get vaccinated with no appointment. At the end of the day, if they have extra doses you can vaccinated. That is done by age, the oldest having priority. I suspect they have plenty of vials and the doses they give at the end of day are only from open vials.

I thought about doing the "leftover dose" thing, but my preferred vaccinator basically says on their website "Please don't!" so I think I'll just bide my time and wait until 3/29 when I become officially eligible.

That's what I did. Kaiser is very good at alerting you when you can schedule.

First dose in, next one in Monday after next.

My son, 42, called me yesterday and said he received his first dose of Pfizer since he is staff at a school. His DW's doctor advised her not to get any, because of her allergies. His good friend, who is a year older than him, received a phone call and asked him if he could be at the armory at 10:30PM for his first vaccine shot. He said yes he could and received his first dose also.

Our county was doing such a great job that some commission took away half of our county's doses at the end of February, to give them to some counties who were not as efficient as our county. We are going to get our full doses back on 3/15/21.

I will be glad when our DD and her DH get their vaccines. It will probably be quite a while though. They live in PA and are 32 and 33 years old.

Sometimes it is both what you know as well as who you know....
That old adage rings true for DW and I! harllee, you are the "who" I know and I was about to PM you for your tips since they opening up group 4 this week. Not necessary anymore because I "know someone else." :)

Oh, about NC group 4. Remember I was going to eat some cake and pie to get my BMI up to 30? Turns out that I instead decided to measure my height. I haven't measured my height in 30 years. Due to father time and back surgery, I lost a 1/2 inch. Boom! Instant BMI of 30. No weight gain necessary.

One more thing. A big shout out to retired nurses who have come back to volunteer for distribution. My friend is one of these volunteers, and she's a saint. 30 years ago she moved out of the hospital and into research. Through the years she always kept her license. Now she volunteers 6 to 8 hours per week administering the vaccine. She is one of many quietly doing this. It is making a big difference.

That old adage rings true for DW and I! harllee, you are the "who" I know and I was about to PM you for your tips since they opening up group 4 this week. Not necessary anymore because I "know someone else." :)

Oh, about NC group 4. Remember I was going to eat some cake and pie to get my BMI up to 30? Turns out that I instead decided to measure my height. I haven't measured my height in 30 years. Due to father time and back surgery, I lost a 1/2 inch. Boom! Instant BMI of 30. No weight gain necessary.

One more thing. A big shout out to retired nurses who have come back to volunteer for distribution. My friend is one of these volunteers, and she's a saint. 30 years ago she moved out of the hospital and into research. Through the years she always kept her license. Now she volunteers 6 to 8 hours per week administering the vaccine. She is one of many quietly doing this. It is making a big difference.

Joe--Good thinking about the height thing! BMI takes into consideration both height and weight. I second your shout out to all the retired nurses and all the other volunteers at the vaccination sites. To get everyone vaccinated is taking a ton of staff and volunteers.

For anyone looking for a vaccine in NC and nearby states. There is mega Federal vaccine site in Greensboro NC at Four Seasons Mall, 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. I am hearing that there are plenty of appointments available and it does not matter where you live. Starting March 17 adults with health issues such as BMI of 30 and over, diabetes, high blood pressure, smokers, cancer, immune compromised, etc can be vaccinated in NC. You do not need a note from your doctor --it is on the honor system.

I eagerly began reading this account as I thought - from the title that, perhaps you had sat on a syringe! :LOL:
I think these kinds of stories (not the sat on the syringe, but rather randomly got a vaccination) will become commonplace over the next weeks, and that's great news!

I hope so because it means all the easy arms have been filled. Pharmacies go through nearby staff first, and since many of them have now gotten it, they won't be available.

"Surplus groupies" are not encouraged yet. They can cause complications (hanging out, bottling phone lines, etc.)

Well, the flood gates will open in CA tomorrow. Officially people with a limited list of serious illnesses and disabilities will become eligible to receive the vaccine. However, one category is:

"A COVID-19 infection is likely to result in severe life-threatening illness or death".

Supposedly, a doctor's opinion is required to make this determination, but for privacy reasons no documentation will be required and self-attestation to this state is all that will be necessary. In other words it will be a free-for-all. I was discussing this with my DW who suggested things wouldn't get that crazy because most people have some integrity. I tried not to laugh. It's going to be a zoo.

We are on CA and wife (age 56) just made her appointment for the first shot. Glad she got the appointment before the flood gates open.

She has a very serious underlying health concern that last year landed her in the ICU for a week with double pneumonia. But until this weekend that wasn’t serious enough to warrant the vaccine. Will breath a little easier after she gets the first shot.

Can anybody in Michigan confirm that Detroit's Mayor won't allow the JnJ vaccine to be administered by city vaccine sites because he believes it is inferior to the other two vaccines? And that 6000 doses were refused by Detroit?

I think you have the responsibility to confirm any heresay before you post.

I registered at myturn.ca.gov site a couple of days ago. I was honest though supposedly, if you show up, they will not make you prove than you have one of the conditions listed.

The state is reserving 40% of doses for poorer counties and where certain communities of color are.

In general I support this policy but most of them turn out to be in Southern CA so not good for Bay Area residents.

We had an engineer install a new broadband router for us this morning.

He was a very personable young man and told us a remarkable story. A few weeks ago he said he was at the doctors late in the day and the GP said there had been a bunch of cancellations and no-shows and they still had 3 doses of the vaccine left which they would have to dispose of if they couldn’t use them. Within 5 minutes he was vaccinated and glad of it because a couple of weeks later he was in a house fixing a problem when he felt his phone buzz indicating a new message. He glanced at his phone and saw that it was the NHS Covid app but he never opened it to read the message. 2 minutes later he got a phone call from NHS Test and Trace. They told him they had just received an alert that he had been at an address where someone has tested positive for Covid. They don’t know where he is, or was, as the app is local and anonymous, but has recorded that he has spent enough time in a location known to have recently had a Covid positive result. He then asked the family and they confessed that one or more had tested positive and they had lied when the cable company asked the standard Covid questions the day before he was due to arrive.

He immediately called his company, went home and had to self isolate for 11 days even though he had received the first dose of the vaccine. The family still tried to persuade him to fix their broadband before he left.

We had an engineer install a new broadband router for us this morning.

He was a very personable young man and told us a remarkable story. A few weeks ago he said he was at the doctors late in the day and the GP said there had been a bunch of cancellations and no-shows and they still had 3 doses of the vaccine left which they would have to dispose of if they couldn’t use them. Within 5 minutes he was vaccinated and glad of it because a couple of weeks later he was in a house fixing a problem when he felt his phone buzz indicating a new message. He glanced at his phone and saw that it was the NHS Covid app but he never opened it to read the message. 2 minutes later he got a phone call from NHS Test and Trace. They told him they had just received an alert that he had been at an address where someone has tested positive for Covid. They don’t know where he is, or was, as the app is local and anonymous, but has recorded that he has spent enough time in a location known to have recently had a Covid positive result. He then asked the family and they confessed that one or more had tested positive and they had lied when the cable company asked the standard Covid questions the day before he was due to arrive.

He immediately called his company, went home and had to self isolate for 11 days even though he had received the first dose of the vaccine. The family still tried to persuade him to fix their broadband before he left.
Incredible story. Test positive, then lie to get tech support.

The state is reserving 40% of doses for poorer counties and where certain communities of color are.

In general I support this policy but most of them turn out to be in Southern CA so not good for Bay Area residents.

Even in SoCal this requires a certain moral flexibility if a non-poor person wants to take advantage. Over the past week or so we have witnessed the spectacle of lots of fancy cars parked all around one of the poorer neighborhoods in south Los Angeles near a clinic known to have extra doses of the vaccine. The owners of said vehicles - very evidently not residents of the area - line up waiting for the extra shots available at the end of the day, and then scuttle back to their fancy cars and hasten away to their better neighborhoods. Local residents are none too pleased.

Though I am trying to "vaccine hunt" a bit, I can't make myself go to that extent. Moral qualms, how quaint.

Wow thats incredible - an app to notify you when you are in a Covid area. I never heard of such a thing.

They rolled out the app last Fall and I knew that if you had been in close contact with other covid-positive persons with the app for an accumulated 15 minutes it would alert, and I also knew that if you had been to a cafe or restaurant or pub that later recorded a positive case then you would get alerted, but that relies on the fact that you check into each place by opening the app and pointing your phone at the QR code outside each place you are going to enter. (The greeter always checks that you have done this, or gets you to physically sign in)

It is a small step to surmise that when a business has a positive Covid test recorded against it their premises are tagged, such that when an individual has had a positive Covid test and is told to isolate at home that their home is tagged as a Covid hotspot. I have just checked my NHS app and it does not use location settings, unlike many other apps, and states specifically that it will not track locations and all data is stored anonymously.

I now think the engineer misunderstood or misremembered the phone call, and that someone in the household also had the app on a phone and that is what triggered the alert. I've talked to others, such as my sister, who have tested positive and the moment they enter the positive test unique code they are sent then the phones of their family members in their house immediately alert them.

Well, the flood gates will open in CA tomorrow. Officially people with a limited list of serious illnesses and disabilities will become eligible to receive the vaccine. However, one category is:

"A COVID-19 infection is likely to result in severe life-threatening illness or death".

Supposedly, a doctor's opinion is required to make this determination, but for privacy reasons no documentation will be required and self-attestation to this state is all that will be necessary. In other words it will be a free-for-all. I was discussing this with my DW who suggested things wouldn't get that crazy because most people have some integrity. I tried not to laugh. It's going to be a zoo.

I've given this notion of self-attestation a lot of thought, since Georgia recently opened up vaccine appointments to all adults with children having certain health difficulties... one of which is obesity. When I first heard about this, I rolled my eyes at the thought of a healthy 20-something parent of an obese child getting vaccinated before a 64-year old with Crohn's disease (who is still not eligible under state guidelines). But, honestly, the more I think about it, the less the whole "honor system" approach bothers me. One big benefit of the honor system is that people (lots of them, probably) who aren't eligible but who are highly motivated to get vaccinated can do so, and that gets us closer to herd immunity more quickly than if self-attestation weren't allowed. Also, the patchwork quilt of eligibility at the state level seems highly arbitrary, so why should I begrudge someone from Georgia jumping the line when just across the state border in South Carolina, that same person would be legitimately eligible? At the end of the day, the more vaccinated people, the better.

EDIT TO ADD: I just noticed that, technically, I am now eligible for the vaccine. Georgia just opened up for all adults 16 and over with certain medical conditions, one of which is hypertension. For several years now, I have consistently had somewhat elevated BP numbers at my annual physicals. Not on any meds yet, but the numbers definitely fall into the borderline/high zone for my age (early 50s). Self-attestation, here I come!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom