Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DH and I both cried after our first shots because we were so happy.

It does feel like a ton of bricks lifted off your shoulders. A buddy of mine got the J & J shot today. He was originally scheduled for the 25th of March but they had a cancelation and he got the call. Lucky guy.

Alaska just opened up vaccines to anyone over the age of 16.

Road trip anyone?

Road trip anyone?
Is there an issue at the border of WA and Canada. I don't know if Americans are allowed into Canada. One way to get a vaccine regardless of age is to volunteer working at a vaccine site. Volunteer and get vaccinated.

Road trip anyone?

Is there an issue at the border of WA and Canada. I don't know if Americans are allowed into Canada. One way to get a vaccine regardless of age is to volunteer working at a vaccine site. Volunteer and get vaccinated.

AFAIK, Americans are not yet allowed to pass through Canada on the way to Alaska unless you are a resident of Alaska.

So an Alaska road trip is out for now. But flying (or boating) into Alaska is possible.

Last edited:
Interesting piece in the NYT this morning about a new startup called Dr. B that matches people wanting the vaccine with providers who have extra doses available.

Dr.B The standby list for leftover COVID vaccines

Extra shots — which must be used within hours once taken out of cold storage — have been doled out to drugstore customers buying midnight snacks, people who are friends with nurses and those who show up at closing time at certain grocery stores and pharmacies. At some larger vaccination sites, the race to use every dose sets off a flurry of end-of-the-day phone calls.

In every case, if the leftover dose does not find an available arm, it must go into the trash.

Now, a New York-based start-up is aiming to add some order to the rush for leftover doses. Dr. B, as the company is known, is matching vaccine providers who find themselves with extra vaccines to people who are willing to get one at a moment’s notice.

My brother is 57 and lives in Cincinnati OH. He said they just released a new "system" to sign up for shots...and you have to sign up on a website (for his age group) starting tomorrow (Thursday 3/11/21) to get an appt. You cannot sign up in advance. Complete change in the process for them....his wife is 61 and she got hers about 10 days ago through a "call in" process where you could book in advance.

Road trip anyone?

I don't know if Americans are allowed into Canada.

AFAIK, Americans are not yet allowed to pass through Canada on the way to Alaska unless you are a resident of Alaska.
So an Alaska road trip is out for now. But flying (or boating) into Alaska is possible.

I was being facetious, from FL, it would take 10 days even if we were allowed, but it's now just a matter of time before all states follow suit.

We are in PA and not old enough yet to get the vaccine. My grandparents and parents still have not gotten the vaccine. All of them are healthy but they haven't been able to get an appointment. They have registered on a couple of sites now but no appointments for the vaccine. Turns out they are saying on the news that the 4 satellite counties around Philadelphia aren't being given equal distribution as other counties in the State. I do not know if this is true. Some sites where they registered, they have received a confirming emails. Other sites they have received nothing. The local hospital where they registered only sent one confirming but it doesn't specify which grandparent the confirming is for. Also when you go to that hospitals web site now it says "this page no longer available". My grandparents weren't going to register anywhere else because they thought the hospital was close to them and they were familiar with it and trusted it. When they checked the local county web site it said not to "register at more than one site". I just "preregistered" both grandparents and parents on their local community college web site and at the local CVS pharmacy. My grandparents are in their 90's and my parents are in their 60's. I was talking to a neighbors son and he said he has his father (84) registered at 6 sites but has no appointment for the vaccine yet. My uncle (70) lives in upstate PA. and finally got an appointment for the vaccine and the location is 2 hours from his home.

My grandparents and parents still do not have an appointment for the vaccine.

Saw a news type of story about a small town in Washington state that has no land route with the rest of Washington except through Canada and they can't travel due to the border being locked. I would hope that after it was brought to light there would be a solution agreed to that would allow them access. No Doctors, no grocery stores, have to use a boat to get to the rest of the state.

Saw a news type of story about a small town in Washington state that has no land route with the rest of Washington except through Canada and they can't travel due to the border being locked. I would hope that after it was brought to light there would be a solution agreed to that would allow them access. No Doctors, no grocery stores, have to use a boat to get to the rest of the state.

Point Roberts also has a small airport and since the pandemic started, two ferries a week to Blaine, WA.

DH and I (65) both got appts for first Moderna shot. We signed up for text alerts from the public health dept that tell when new appts open up and then go to the website to race for your spot. That was a couple of weeks ago, now it's open to 50+ and there are lots of open appts. Lots more vaccine available and many more sources to get them.

I actually accidently signed up for two appts and I found the best way to interact with the schedulers to free up the extra appt was to IM them from the public health FB page.

Last edited:
My grandparents and parents still do not have an appointment for the vaccine.

I hear in PA it can be pretty difficult. I've been looking for my brother with no luck yet. My friend was able to get hers through a health system where she is a patient (UPMC). Good luck, hope they are able to get appointments soon!

Appointments here in Portland are opening up pretty quickly. MIL (89 y/o) wants the J&J 1 shot. There has not been much supply here that I have noticed. I went online & started checking sites. Walmart has the J&J so I tried their scheduler. Got an appointment in about 36 hours from scheduling.

I got mine Monday at Walgreens. My 2nd shot is early April. I overheard a pharmacist telling staff they could do about 60 shots a day (now at 30) IDK if that was a scheduling/throughput issue or a supply thing. Most of the grocery store pharmacies are up & running shots. That will really help getting lots of people vaccinated.

At the rate supply is opening up I feel good about summer. Looking at overseas trip at Christmas time!

*side note I ran into a relative out walking the other day. She was complaining about the Govenor's mask mandate & liked Idaho "freedom" from masks. I pointed out (nicely) that Idaho has 2x the death rate than Oregon. mumble...mumble

Last edited:
It's astonishing to see how badly some states are bungling the roll out of the vaccine. It has been pretty smooth here in Oklahoma and there seems to be plenty of shots to go around. There are a few ways to sign up, but an enterprising young man has created a tracker that has worked exceptionally well. You can get text alerts or view a map that can be narrowed by which dose and if it's Pfizer, Moderna, or J&J. The only bad thing is that we have had to drive a little ways to get it, but all in all...no real issues here.

But, before you start planning your road trip to flyover country, you need to know only Oklahoma residents may get the vaccine.

Attachments

• CVD.jpg
    CVD.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 68
Interesting piece in the NYT this morning about a new startup called Dr. B that matches people wanting the vaccine with providers who have extra doses available.

Dr.B The standby list for leftover COVID vaccines

I signed up for this last week. I’m skeptical it’ll help, but I figure’d why not?

As someone under 50, I suspect it’ll be a couple of more months before I qualify, unless I get lucky.

Been trying to get an appointment for DW at CVS and Walgreens (Thanks for the link sengsational). She is signed up with the Fairfax County (Northern VA) Health list but no idea when she will get the call for appointment. At CVS you click on a state and it lists all the sites - all not available except for a 4 hour one way drive - and then availability. Walgreens just asks you to input the city and checks for 25 miles from there. I don't know all the choices so just trying all the different cities around here but no joy. Anyone have ideas where else I can try ? She is 68 and VA is doing over 65 now.

Thanks in advance

At least you can sign up. Unlike the rest of VA, unless you are in one of the special groups, you can't even - pre-register. It's frustrating - as soon as they open it up to the general public, I see a system crash happening....

My state is rapidly making more groups eligible. Which I appreciate, because it seemed like we were starting to have unfilled capacity (appointment slots with no arms signed up to be jabbed).

Also, my state kindly allows people with one or more health conditions to sign up during the first week. Being overweight is one of those health conditions, so I will be eligible on March 29th.

(Funny how I'm appreciative of the state when they're making ordering rules that benefit me but cranky when the ordering rules don't go my way. Hmmm.)

My state is rapidly making more groups eligible. Which I appreciate, because it seemed like we were starting to have unfilled capacity (appointment slots with no arms signed up to be jabbed).

Also, my state kindly allows people with one or more health conditions to sign up during the first week. Being overweight is one of those health conditions, so I will be eligible on March 29th.

(Funny how I'm appreciative of the state when they're making ordering rules that benefit me but cranky when the ordering rules don't go my way. Hmmm.)

They also opened our state for more folks after several "vaccine pod events" were cancelled for lack of sign ups. I think the news reported that a full 25% of folks here are planning on saying "NO" on the arm jab. :cool:

They also opened our state for more folks after several "vaccine pod events" were cancelled for lack of sign ups.

In contrast, 40,000 appointment slots for category 1a and 1b folks opened up online here Monday at 6 PM. They were all filled by 8:30 PM. Demand still far outpaces supply.

Yep, that happened in San Antonio, home to thousands and thousands of military transplants, as you well know. :)

No doubt. When we visited a number of months ago, I was absolutely FLOORED at the development and in really a pretty short amount of time, too. Most of the folks I served with down there and were able to retire...well, they stayed. I really love VISITING S.A., but there are simply too many people there for me to enjoy living there. Boerne was decent, but I think it's growing like a weed, too.

Sorry for the derailing...back to your normally scheduled programming...

At least you can sign up. Unlike the rest of VA, unless you are in one of the special groups, you can't even - pre-register. It's frustrating - as soon as they open it up to the general public, I see a system crash happening....

Turns out the Fairfax county system hooked us both up with appointments. Mine is for tomorrow. I know it can be frustrating as I've been hunting various options including CVS and county options.

Well, when it rains, it pours. I think I mentioned last Saturday, we went online in the State's website. It showed all the options. We CALLED on Saturday to our local medical conglomerate - the one with all our various doctors. I didn't even think they would answer the phone, but they did - right away! They could only put us on the "list." The nice young lady (okay, just guessing over the phone - but she was definitely nice and, to me EVERYONE is young:) ) SHE suggested we go to CVS web site. We DID and we got right in! (Shots happened next day - Sunday.) SO, yesterday, the nice young lady from our medical group called back and told us we could get in for our shots. I told here what happened and she seemed glad for our success.

What a difference a week makes. We went from "well, maybe the State will get enough shots" to "Hey, y'all come!" I went on another site and it looks like HI is about 20% "penetration" (sorry about that) with one or two shots.

Competition is good! Maybe Pfizer and Moderna picked up the pace since J&J got approved. As always, YMMV.

Was able to snag an appointment for April, first time I've seen openings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom