Dire situation in New York State

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Michigan, the guidelines suggest hospitals could prioritize care and access to ICU beds and ventilators for those performing “essential social functions” — like doctors, nurses, police, military members, and firefighters. ......”

Hmmm... Do retirees perform any essential social functions? I suspect that posting on an ER forum does not count.

The attending physician would not understand "ER" either. "ER meaning Emergency Room?", he would ask.

No, "it's early retirement", you answer. I dunno. It does not sound good.

More the reason for myself to try hard to not catch this virus. I don't like many things about it.

Last edited:
This is a 1 hour interview with a pulmonary doctor in NYC (recorded Zoom session for friends and family). He is on the front lines of treating patients. Well worth the time to watch if you have the time (and who doesn't these days).

Lots of reasonable information about the virus and steps that should be taken to protect one’s family. Will help calm some of the hysteria, in my opinion.

https://vimeo.com/399733860

I just finished watching that video. Absolutely informative, and comforting to know what we can do to protect ourselves and our family. Thank you for posting it.

Only significant update from today is that they are going to start moving unused ventilators from upstate hospitals to downstate and this will not be on a voluntary basis.

Hmmm... Do retirees perform any essential social functions? I suspect that posting on an ER forum does not count.

The attending physician would not understand "ER" either. "ER meaning Emergency Room?", he would ask.

No, "it's early retirement", you answer. I dunno. It does not sound good.

More the reason for myself to try hard to not catch this virus. I don't like many things about it.

Actually I think "early retirement" is going to have a new meaning in the Covid-19 Emergency Room. :facepalm:

In the brief period of time that watched/read the news, I saw the NYC only has 3 crematories and they are now permitted to operate 24 hours a day as they have 3x the normal numbers of "clients." Ugh, I am ready to get back to the Presidential race news, not stuff like this. :(

Only significant update from today is that they are going to start moving unused ventilators from upstate hospitals to downstate and this will not be on a voluntary basis.
Have a terrible feeling they're not getting sent back if they're needed in both places at the same time.
It is much much worse Downstate and I hope the isolating will slow the spread real soon.

Here's a story about the death of an ER doctor in NYC. He contracted the virus from his work, and as he came down with sickness, he said it was because he had to use the same mask for an entire week.

Even with his experience treating COVID-19 patients, he underestimated how fast his lungs suddenly deteriorated while toughing it out at home, and died before paramedics arrived. He was 60.

I wonder if deaths at home like this that occurred before any test was made would be classified as something else other the COVID-19. Do coroners bother to do PCR tests?

See: https://nypost.com/2020/04/01/new-jersey-doctor-dies-days-after-showing-coronavirus-symptoms/

Last edited:
Here's a story about the death of an ER doctor in NYC. He contracted the virus from his work, and as he came down with sickness, he said it was because he had to use the same mask for an entire week.

Even with his experience treating COVID-19 patients, he underestimated how fast his lungs suddenly deteriorated while toughing it out at home, and died before paramedics arrived. He was 60.

I wonder if deaths at home like this that occurred before any test was made would be classified as something else other the COVID-19. Do coroners bother to do PCR tests?

See: https://nypost.com/2020/04/01/new-jersey-doctor-dies-days-after-showing-coronavirus-symptoms/

A sad story and two things jump out at me. As a two time cancer survivor depending on his treatment he would be more high risk then average. I also see that he hadn't tested positive for COVID..I thought medical people has a faster track to getting tests,so did the gentleman have COVID or not. And a bad example for even a junk paper like the Post to use this without knowing if the doctor actually had the virus.

I read the article again. The dead doctor was a cancer survivor, and it was not said if he was still having ongoing treatment. There are many people who are cured of cancer and live a normal life with their immunity restored to normal.

Regarding a virus test, I have seen an interview with a doctor at a hospital who said they no longer waited for the PCR test to see if a patient tested positive. If a patient had symptoms of COVID-19, particularly difficulty of breathing and with low blood oxygen, he had COVID-19 and they treated as such. COVID-19 is so prevalent now.

Dr. William Jaquis, president of the American College of Emergency Physicians, which represents 40,000 emergency doctors nationwide, also released a statement.

“We are deeply saddened to learn that a former ACEP member and our current colleague on the frontlines—an emergency physician—has lost his fight against this virus."

Also, it has been reported by numerous doctors that a COVID-19 patient may hang on for a few days, then suddenly deteriorates very fast to the point of needing a ventilator. The above is one of such cases. People should be aware of this possibility.

Last edited:
A sad story and two things jump out at me. As a two time cancer survivor depending on his treatment he would be more high risk then average. I also see that he hadn't tested positive for COVID..I thought medical people has a faster track to getting tests,so did the gentleman have COVID or not. And a bad example for even a junk paper like the Post to use this without knowing if the doctor actually had the virus.

Not that much of a mistake IMHO. The doc was exposed to the virus big time. He had the typical symptoms of COVID-19. I'm comfortable assuming he died from detioration caused by COVID-19.

It seems like using scarce test resources post mortem to confirm something we can assume with good probability of being correct is a waste. Save the tests for asymtomatic folks who've been exposed. If someday we have test kits to burn, then it would be appropriate to use them even where we can draw the conclusion and likely be corrent without the test.

Last edited:

Junk paper in your opinion. Truth teller in my opinion.

New York extended the open enrollment period for ACA to May 15, 2020.

The sad part is that I know of at least two people in NY State who have been laid off and are without healthcare right now (in the midst of the worst health crisis in a hundred years) but won't apply for "Obamacare" because they think it's not as good as "real" healthcare. I tried to explain how it works but they just won't listen.

I'm also amazed at the number of people that don't know any details whatsoever about the stimulus bills. I've had to explain to several people that they are going to get checks for $1200 and that they'll get an extra $600/pw unemployment. They must all live in a complete news vacuum or something.

MOD NOTE: And now that we've heard your respective opinions about the NY Post, let's all move on.

Have a terrible feeling they're not getting sent back if they're needed in both places at the same time.
It is much much worse Downstate and I hope the isolating will slow the spread real soon.

He did say that he would buy a new ventilator for any that are not returned. Which kind of begs the question, what are we going to do with all the excess ventilators when the crisis is over?

He did say that he would buy a new ventilator for any that are not returned. Which kind of begs the question, what are we going to do with all the excess ventilators when the crisis is over?
Why are they excess? They're needed. Perhaps we need to think about pandemics being the new normal, or not.

Update from today's conference call which I partially missed because the local TV station started half way through and then decided to have a commercial break in the middle.

The predicted apex in NY State is now 7-14 days away with it likely to be at the lower end of that range.

China is sending another 1000 ventilators
State of Oregon is sending another 140

There has been a big surge of cases in Long Island.

Javits Center is now just for Covid-19 patients.

The sad part is that I know of at least two people in NY State who have been laid off and are without healthcare right now (in the midst of the worst health crisis in a hundred years) but won't apply for "Obamacare" because they think it's not as good as "real" healthcare. I tried to explain how it works but they just won't listen.

Patients with a bad case of COVID-19 would be taken to the hospital by paramedics, I would think, whether they have health insurance or not.

On the other hand, even if you have health insurance, your own doctor can look at you, but he would not know if you have COVID-19 or the regular flu if your case is not severe, unless you get a test. And PCR tests are tough to qualify for at this time.

People with a bad case of COVID-19 will have a tough time no matter what. And you may have to be in line to get a ventilator.

More the reason to be extra cautious to not catch this virus.

PS. I keep seeing in the news that some New Yorkers still congregate for events. Despite the order to stay at home and the sound of ambulance sirens all over the city, they still don't care. And not just in NY, but elsewhere in the country where there are hot spots.

Last edited:

Stock pile them.
Lend them to Africa and South America.

Last edited:
To pretend a cancer survivors immune system ever got 100% to pre-cancer immunity against coronavirus is a long leap that flies in the face of logic.

Each year you get older, your immunity system as a whole degrades with age.
As your body hits infections, antibodies will develop to fight off those infections / viruses. In that regard your immune system is "stronger" but only against those select infections / viruses.

Cancer is not a situation where your body gets stronger from creating its own antibodies. Even if you beat cancer, your immune system as a whole is going to be weaker in general.

If not, cancer survivors would have way longer lifespans, but they don't.

Yes. He also said there are none to be bought. Sure Ford should be ramped up production in 3 months or so. Not going to do many any good.
I certainly don't begrudge my downstate neighbors in their time of need, but cases are increasing here too. Patients were being shipped up before Javits was declared a Covid-19 hospital.
Many locals are not looking favorably on the fact the ventilators are being taken and shipped by armed National Guardsmen.

No he did not. He stated they would be returned or $ given to buy a new one. However, the $ is useless if they can't be bought.

Just about every upstate hospital system and local politician are fighting this, although how they can stop it is uncertain.

What happens if the NY state national guard comes to commander equipment and local law enforcement (or just people) try to stop it. That my friends is not a good situation and things can go south (in both a figurative and liter sense) quickly.

To pretend a cancer survivors immune system ever got 100% to pre-cancer immunity against coronavirus is a long leap that flies in the face of logic.

Each year you get older, your immunity system as a whole degrades with age...

After a certain age (maybe even all through adulthood), yes, the immune system becomes weaker. But I don't know how often past cancer causes extra weakening.

A February 2020 study says "persistent, elevated risks for autoimmune diseases, immune deficiencies, and infectious conditions may reflect persistent immune dysregulation caused by lymphoma or treatment" but that's limited to lymphoma. The top of the abstract says "Both [diffuse large B-cell lymphoma] and its treatments perturb the immune system, yet little is known about immune health during extended survivorship." So before February of this year little was known about even that.

I also read there's "evidence suggesting that women treated for breast cancer may suffer from an increased rate of physical and cognitive decline that likely corresponds with underlying vulnerabilities of genome instability, epigenetic changes, and cellular senescence."

I haven't seen anything, not even from the popular media, that cancer typically permanently weakens the immune system. I wouldn't be surprised if it was generally considered true for most cancers but I'd need to see more information on this.

Yes. He also said there are none to be bought. Sure Ford should be ramped up production in 3 months or so. Not going to do many any good.
I certainly don't begrudge my downstate neighbors in their time of need, but cases are increasing here too. Patients were being shipped up before Javits was declared a Covid-19 hospital.
Many locals are not looking favorably on the fact the ventilators are being taken and shipped by armed National Guardsmen.

The idea is that once we pass the peak in NY City we then have excess ventilators that can be used upstate or in other states as necessary.

I'm glad he's doing this. It's the moral and ethical thing to do. More people will die if we don't do this. Upstate has about 5% of the NY State cases. If the situation were reversed and Upstate didn't have enough ventilators, they'd be shipping them here from Downstate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom