Good News--No Bad Side effects to Covid Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moderna shots today - we both have sore arms, that's about it. I did feel kinda 'funk' from about hour 2-4, but some ibuprofen helps.

I wonder if I go to some pharmacies and ask what size needle they use for the vaccine if they'll be able to tell me. I bet some would. I may do that.

1st Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon. By early morning my arm was incredibly sore and I got up and took 3 acetaminophen. My arm/shoulder is still sore, but the discomfort is subsiding (I think...).

1st Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon. By early morning my arm was incredibly sore and I got up and took 3 acetaminophen. My arm/shoulder is still sore, but the discomfort is subsiding (I think...).

Odd how different bodies react.....I had minor to non-existent discomfort, and even that has disappeared at this point......hope it's not lurking for a delayed pounce opportunity.

After my second Moderna shot I had slight fatigue that set in after a few days. So slight I didn't really even notice it for a while, but it became more noticeable and finally disappeared after three weeks. Nothing remarkable, but the slower average pace on my morning runs showed it clearly. Back to normal now.

After my second moderna I had a low grade fever for 36 hrs, a headache, joint pain, and the standard arm soreness.

What was very odd is I also had a fairly asymptomatic tooth abscess which suddenly became very painful, with TMJ pain, and difficulty opening my mouth fully due to pain. That happened the evening of the shot and resolved within about 24 hours.

It appears to me my ramped up immune response went right to where I had an active infection.
The very next week I had to have surgery to extract that fractured, abscessed tooth. Talk about a double whammy of fatigue.

It's a week later now from the surgery, and two weeks post my 2nd Moderna, and I'm FINALLY getting some energy back. Whew!

Anybody here who has had covid AND gotten both shots? I have had covid and one shot. I'm thinking of not getting the second.

i had a bad case of covid in november and just got first pfizer shot...haven't decided if I am going to get the second one, but probably will.

I know several people who had Covid (some very sick) and they have gotten both Pfizer or Moderna shots and did not have any bad side effects.

Anybody here who has had covid AND gotten both shots? I have had covid and one shot. I'm thinking of not getting the second.

Please get them both, that is what is recommended. But covid survivors tend to have more side effects with the first shot, less with the 2nd.

DH and I got Pfizer #1 today. He says his arm is sore. I cannot tell any difference between my jab arm and the other.

Interesting thread. Seems almost everyone (not 100%) had a sore arm from the "first shot" and a few had other mild symptoms but not much else. Some had no reactions at all to shot number one.... I too fall in the sore arm camp for the "first shot"...

However, after reading the quotes below from this thread regarding the "second shot", I just can't wait to get mine. :sick: Still thinking.... Yes, yes, I know.

Got my second dose of Moderna yesterday. This time the side effects started rather quickly , had a sore arm which I expected, in the first hour. As the day progressed, had a headache, body ache, chills and fever. Have had fever today as well, took a few Tylenols to ease the pain. Have been in bed most of the day today. Hopefully, things will be better tomorrow! Did not have any impact other than a sore arm when I got my first dose. The second dose hit me hard.

Got my 2nd shot of Moderna yesterday morning. Started feeling a little achy and odd after about 12 hours. Took one NyQuil pill to help me sleep. That worked reasonably well. I woke up some feeling achy and cold. But overall I slept.

Several friends have gotten their second doses this week. Three of the women ran a fever for a couple of days, none of the men have run a fever.

DH was pretty fatigued the day after his second Pfizer dose. We'll see how he does today.

My wife got her 2nd Moderna shot this past week on Tuesday at work. She went to school (she's a teacher) on Wednesday but felt miserable most of the day and was sore and fatigued by the time she got home. She was chilled all that night. She took a sick day on Thursday to try to recuperate.

mum and dad (74/76) got their second last week. knocked mum out for about a day, but other than that they were both totally normal 48 hours later.

Second Moderna shot - after 12 hours after getting shot it hit me. Feeling cold, very weak, constant headaches, low grade fever. I slept for about 20 hours under several blankets. I forced myself to drink lots of fluids and eat. Tylenol and Nyquil were stuff I took.

I got my 2nd shot yesterday. 12 hours later the shot arm was very sore, and I was very tired. I got up this morning after sleeping over 10 hours (very unusual for me). I feel like I have a huge hangover.

DW got her shingles shots earlier this year she was miserable after 2nd shingles shot, for a few days.

On her 2nd Moderna vaccine shot yesterday, she was miserable first 12 hours with really bad pain in shot arm. She seems to be improving now but still tired and resting.

My sister-in-law and her husband were the only ones we know with severe reactions with Moderna vaccine. They were OK with the 1st shot, but the husband fell sick with the 2nd shot, and was in bed with flu-like symptoms, from what I heard. My SIL had a severely sore arm that she said she could not lift, and was not able to prepare meals. They both recovered after a week.

Myself, 44M, and got 2nd Pfizer shot Tues 3/9/21, have not been lucky. Have had the gauntlet of side-effects. Had to take a sick day off work 3rd day. This is day 5 and waking up with now unpleasantly usual rear headache (behind ears) and neck pain. 325 mg Aspirin has become common.

I doubt anything can be done but hope effects peters out in the next 2-3 days. The longer it goes, the more worrisome - seems to be a bit of diminishment or I could be telling myself that. The headache is low-to-moderate, and at least not in the temples or brows - its less bothersome at rear.

I had 2nd Moderna dose 3/3. Chills (teeth chattering), extreme fatigue, light headedness, and a little headache for about 15 hours the following day.

We just got the 2nd Moderna shot. Worse side effects then the 1st but only one day of mild flu like symptoms: chills, fatigued, felt like hairs on skin had been rubbed the wrong way.

I had my second Pfizer vaccine two days ago and had some mild side effects: a slight headache for about 24 hours and a little fatigue the next day that required a nap. After the nap, some minor chills and a slight temperature increase that lasted for a few hours. Now I have swollen lymph glands near my left armpit, the side where I was injected. My last mammogram was a month ago so am sure this is due to the vaccine but will monitor to ensure it is temporary. My arm was also quite sore. I had no side effects with my first shot.

I received my first Pfizer shot on Sunday afternoon, and spent much of yesterday, the day after shot, sleeping. Feeling good this morning, approx 40 hours later.

The fatigue surprised me! (58yr female)

Got our second moderna 13 days ago, We both ran a slight fever/chillsachy & tired for about 36 hrs. My arm was red and sore for 5 days, but improved every day.

Moderna second shot, chlls and fever (peaked at 101) for about 12 hours, starting 12 hours after the shot. Took nothing for the symptoms.

After my second moderna I had a low grade fever for 36 hrs, a headache, joint pain, and the standard arm soreness.

What was very odd is I also had a fairly asymptomatic tooth abscess which suddenly became very painful, with TMJ pain, and difficulty opening my mouth fully due to pain. That happened the evening of the shot and resolved within about 24 hours.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Seems almost everyone (not 100%) had a sore arm from the "first shot" and a few had other mild symptoms but not much else. Some had no reactions at all to shot number one.... I too fall in the sore arm camp for the "first shot"...

However, after reading the quotes below from this thread regarding the "second shot", I just can't wait to get mine. :sick: Still thinking.... Yes, yes, I know.

But not all of us had problems with the second shots. DH and I had the exact some thing with both Moderna shots--just a sore arm for a day or so.

But not all of us had problems with the second shots. DH and I had the exact some thing with both Moderna shots--just a sore arm for a day or so.
Yep, there were some... Didn't cut and paste those. The point I was trying to make is that a lot of people in this small sample group (not all) seemed to have a lot more side effects, beyond just a sore arm, with the second shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
My wife, son, daughter and I all got the first Moderna shot yesterday morning.

3 of us had a slightly sore arm. My daughter had a minor headache today for several hours.

That's all we've experienced so far.

The painful symptoms sound inflammation related. I think it's a good idea to try to reduce inflammation leading up to the vaccine, in a natural way.

https://www.scripps.org/news_items/4232-six-keys-to-reducing-inflammation

Eat more fruits and vegetables and foods containing omega-3 fatty acids. Some of the best sources of omega-3s are cold water fish, such as salmon and tuna, and tofu, walnuts, flax seeds and soybeans.

Other anti-inflammatory foods include grapes, celery, blueberries, garlic, olive oil, tea and some spices (ginger, rosemary and turmeric).

The Mediterranean diet is a perfect example of an anti-inflammatory diet. This is due to its focus on fruits, vegetables, fish and whole grains, and limits on unhealthy fats, such as red meat, butter and egg yolks as well as processed and refined sugars and carbs.

Then I'd have aspirin or ibuprofen or something on standby for possible post-vaccination use.

I was fairly worried about side effects. I probably spend too much time reading this thread LOL. Wife and I have both had soreness in the arm, just kept moving it and taking ibuprofen when needed. My arm is now back up to 80% movement w/ little noticeable pain, still slightly sore to the touch. No visible swelling or redness. Wife has experienced more pain, but only if she moves her arm. ha!

Your report of having no worse effects from the 2nd shot is *very* appreciated! I'm more hopeful now. I might even survive this. :LOL:

I have had one Moderna shot so far. Mild arm soreness for one day. Then, to my surprise, on Day 8 I had intense itchiness in the arm and a raised red area about two inches by two inches at the injection site. Evidently this is Covid arm, is not dangerous and occurs in way less than 1% of patients. There seems to be a 50% chance of reoccurrence with the 2nd shot, as well some other more standard side effects.

Got the 2nd shot yesterday (Pfizer). Only symptom was very slight discomfort in the arm, similar to what I feel with the flu shot. DW wasn't so lucky, she had a low grade fever and headache after the 2nd one and a very sore arm (Moderna).

Reading the thread, it looks like the reactions are all over the place, with no real rhyme or reason. Certainly a lot better than getting COVID.

Please get them both, that is what is recommended. .

Not in Spain and France, they recommend covid survivors only get one shot. There have been tests done that the first shot increases antibodies a thousand fold and the second shot has virtually no effect. I posted links earlier in this thread.

DW and I received our first Moderna shots Tuesday.

I had no issues, the slightly sore arm for less than a day was no different than what I get after a flu shot. While I did feel a little tired and achy that evening, I think it was more from walking a round of golf just before getting the shot, and doing a little yard work after :).

DW had more of a reaction (she does not do well with shots, last fall she got cellulitis after a flu shot) but nothing major. Her arm was sore and warm to the touch for a while. The next day arm was still sore but not as much, and felt normal temperature, she felt tired but that may have been due to it being a dreary, rainy day :). She took ibuprofen and her arm felt better.

Yep, there were some... Didn't cut and paste those. The point I was trying to make is that a lot of people in this small sample group (not all) seemed to have a lot more side effects, beyond just a sore arm, with the second shot.

It could also be that those in this "sample group" who did have side effects are more likely to post than those who did not.

It could also be that those in this "sample group" who did have side effects are more likely to post than those who did not.
Maybe.... Maybe not.... It's certainly not a scientific study. Just interesting to me and consistent what I've been reading elsewhere.

Here are needle size guidelines for adults. You may want to inquire about the size before you get a vaccine. Note that the recommended needle length could vary by 1/2" for the same person!

Excerpt from Vaccine Administration: Needle Gauge and Length

Adults, 19 years and older: 22–25-gauge - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• 130 lbs (60 kg) or less: 1 inch (25 mm⁴) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• 130–152 lbs (60–70 kg): 1 inch (25 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Men, 152–260 lbs (70–118 kg): 1–1.5 inches (25–38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Women, 152–200 lbs (70–90 kg): 1–1.5 inches (25–38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Men, 260 lbs (118 kg) or more: 1.5 inches (38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Women, 200 lbs (90 kg) or more: 1.5 inches (38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵

³ Preferred site
⁴ Some experts recommend a 5/8-inch needle for men and women weighing less than 60 kg, if used, skin must be stretched tightly and subcutaneous tissues must not be bunched.
⁵ The vastus lateralis muscle in the anterolateral thigh can also be used. Most adolescents and adults will require a 1- to 1.5-inch (25–38 mm) needle to ensure intramuscular administration.

The above is general needle size guidance. For information specific to Covid-19, there's this document which includes a table titled Ancillary Supply Administration Kit: Standard Syringe (Centrally Distributed). The adult kit includes 85 needles (22-25G x 1”) and 20 needles (22-25G x 1.5”). So, if they run out of 1" needles and you're in the weight range where a 1.5-inch needle is acceptable, that's 50% more tissue damage for you!

Had my first Pfizer shot 15 hours ago; minor discomfort around midnight last night, pretty much all gone now.

Good for you! Canada has been extremely slow at this, but I'm great to hear that you got your shot. (I hope to get vaccinated by the end of May...)

I heard just yesterday that people who had COVID may only need one shot, but a formal report (study results) hasn't come out yet.

86 year old mother claimed to have zero side effects from first shot. Claimed zero side effects for the second, but boy does she feel bad this week. Totally wiped out. Maybe the shot mom? My DW both had our first shot Wednesday and both had very sore arms which is mostly gone this morning. All three of us had Pfiezer vaccinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom