Has anyone here caught the Virus, or know anyone who has?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one theory one why some people were apparently catching it a second time. They really weren't. The test was having issues giving true positive/negative.
I'm seeing different versions of this. Some are saying that Dr. Birx was wrong today; that it was the CDC tests that were throwing off false results, not the WHO test kits--which the rest of the world was/is using. "The initial [CDC] tests didn’t work, and officials are probing whether there was possible contamination."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...n2vsDp9CVaCBl3D9WjXzdrBqsb_6OEQuRttAfvuL_16x0

As I look at the map today, I see that West Virginia is still the only state with no known cases. Wonder what they're doing right? Even Wyoming, with only a third of WV's population, has three cases.

Oh, it finally caught up with WV. There's a case in the Eastern Panhandle, which of course is where we live. About two weeks ago I had a follow-up visit with an oncologist for past melanoma and she was certain it was here but just unknown for lack of testing. So DW and I were pretty sure it was here but just not documented. Now it is.

We did a bunch of errands today and DW has an orthopedic doc appointment tomorrow, but after that our calendar is clear until I'm due for the second Shingrix shot in mid-May. So we'll keep to ourselves for quite a while.

Last edited:
My son may have had it. He had high fever, aches, cough. They tested for strep (negative) and sent him home. A week later still had the fever, they tested for flu (negative). The fever broke on day 8.

The next day tests started being done for people with the symptoms who had *not* been out of the country w/in 14 days.

He's better now. But we treated him like he had it. Disinfecting everything he touched. Keeping him in his room so he wouldn't breath on us. Practiced social distance within our house.

Another teen in our community (my son doesn't know him) was told by the ER doctor that he probably had it - but couldn't be tested because of the criteria.

In the meantime - in the 5 days since they started testing people with the symptoms - our county has 60 cases. I expect that number to increase as testing is more available.

To quote the hashtag that is happening in Italy... #Io resto a casa. (#I stay at home)

I do not have it and I do not know anyone that has it. I know a few of people who are panicking and think they have it. My one sister keeps taking her temperature because she's convinced she has covid-19. She's starting her seasonal allergies but this year the allergies have morphed into covid-19. Funny when she takes her allergy meds her symptoms disappear.

I do not have it and I do not know anyone that has it. I know a few of people who are panicking and think they have it. My one sister keeps taking her temperature because she's convinced she has covid-19. She's starting her seasonal allergies but this year the allergies have morphed into covid-19. Funny when she takes her allergy meds her symptoms disappear.

She's found the cure! Hurry, call the CDC, call the local news, call everyone! :LOL:

Ok, sorry, I know this isn't the "CV humor" thread, but I just had to!

-ERD50

ERD50, Now if she would only practice social distancing instead of hanging out with her friends comparing notes. Instead of staying home she was walking around our little town complaining that the sidewalks were crowded due to the schools being closed.

One woman was telling others, near me, rather smugly, that "our county has no coronavirus." I asked, "Do you know how many people in the county have been tested to be sure?" She looked at me as if I just dropped in from Mars.

Turns out, she did not realize that governments only report confirmed, tested cases. She just assumed they somehow just "know" who has it and doesn't....
No one in our area or circle of friends has. .

Last edited:
My neighbor's best friend lives in Indiana. The best friend's son has a girlfriend who worked closely with the first person who died from the coronavirus in that state.

The girlfriend is sick now. She passed it on to the son, his sister, who then passed it on to his mother and father. The mother has asthma and went to the Urgent Care. They immediately sent her to the hospital to get tested. Results expected tomorrow.

Her friend said she has never seen anything like this. She said her lungs feel like they are on fire. Everyone has fever. The son has a severe sore throat. All have painful lungs. That's exactly what my neighbor said. The mother was sent home. I'll know more tomorrow.

They all believe they have it due to the girlfriend working closely with the person who died.

Don't know anyone yet, but the bottom line is the USA numbers are probably way under reported due to still the lack of widespread testing. Doesn't really take a genius to figure out why.......

DH told me last night that one of his many Facebook friends from school (long ago) is sick in Oregon with classic symptoms including shortness of breath, but can’t get tested due to lack of known contact history. It is incredibly stupid. She is self quarantining but what if she gets very ill?

A girl I knew growing up was one of the first to have it on Long Island. She is 54 with no underlying medical issues. She believes she got it during a trip to Florida.
A quote from her-
"Speaking Saturday after using an inhaler, her voice was strained but not hoarse. A recurring fever, which leads to shortness of breath, is the most problematic symptom for her."

“I call those my episodes,” she said.

She is home from the hospital now but kept separated from her son and husband.

I don't know if we had it or not,but my wife works in healthcare and is exposed to different things all the time. Late Jan/early Feb she got a very bad case of flu like symptoms with a heavy emphasis on cough. I don't recall if she ran a fever. It was the worst case of flu like illness I've seen either of us get in the entire time we have been together (7 years). I also got a nasty case of the same thing from her after.

I am not saying we had COVID-19, but we both look back and wonder based on what symptoms are and how we were at the time compared to previous years. Plus her exposure in a healthcare setting and our daughter in daycare? Who knows.

My wife is of the belief it has been among us for a while and it is more likely than not she will contract it than not based on her line of work.

It is what it is. At this point we are laying low. We are late 30s for what its worth. Because of that I have a ton of anxiety around the economic fallout of this. I am not sure my employer will make it. Hoping the news turns positive sooner than later. This all makes me glad we spent the last several years paying off debt and building up some savings.

DH told me last night that one of his many Facebook friends from school (long ago) is sick in Oregon with classic symptoms including shortness of breath, but can’t get tested due to lack of known contact history. It is incredibly stupid. She is self quarantining but what if she gets very ill?

She does the same thing people who tested positive do... go for more aggressive medical care..

That is entirely possible, yes.

I am not inclined to jump to that conclusion, but I am treating my situation as if that is the case. Self-quarantining, in other words.

Good for you for staying home but in our state 97% of the actual COVID tests come back negative. most likely you have a cold.

Good for you for staying home but in our state 97% of the actual COVID tests come back negative. most likely you have a cold.
DW and I were discussing this. Self isolating if you have a cold or flu is also a very good thing. Let's kill the flu and cold going around along with this so our medical pros can concentrate on the pandemic.

I've been wondering what the ultimate goal is, but assuming it is just to delay the spread such that our medical care infrastructure can accommodate those that are very ill or until there is an effective vaccine. If that is the case, then I'm guessing that, short of shutting down society for months or years, most of us will ultimately become infected. Is that how this plays out? Once sufficient numbers have been infected and recovered then the immunity of the herd will rise and the infection rate will drop off. Or are some holding out hope that the disease can be stopped entirely?

I've been wondering what the ultimate goal is, but assuming it is just to delay the spread such that our medical care infrastructure can accommodate those that are very ill or until there is an effective vaccine. If that is the case, then I'm guessing that, short of shutting down society for months or years, most of us will ultimately become infected. Is that how this plays out? Once sufficient numbers have been infected and recovered then the immunity of the herd will rise and the infection rate will drop off. Or are some holding out hope that the disease can be stopped entirely?
"Flatten The Curve" is your answer. The genie is out. Slow it, and hopefully catch half the curve with the vaccine. I've heard no authorities say they can stop it. Not possible unless everyone from your UPS driver to your doctors stay at home for 3 weeks.

Still normal around here, sometimes I think we forget there are 350+ Million folks here in the USA. Not that I am a fan on the way things have been handled and communicated to us, I think sometimes certain folks blow things up out of proportion to make others look bad.... JMHO, I could be wrong.

No one in our area or circle of friends has. I
Costco was another story, the line to get in was so long we did not even bother to stop, we do not need them that bad. Amazes me how folks panic.

Yea - the number of people at our local Costco stores was huge also. I just walked in and walked out immediately. People were loading up carts beyond full capacity and oblivious to the guidelines of social distancing. :facepalm:

I probably know many who have it, but there's so little testing here, I don't know. Our major hospital got 50 test kits. So, I treat everyone as if they have it. I'll smile, nod my head so not to be rude, but keep my distance.

It's amazing that federal government is so slow of proving (or deploying) corona-virus tests readily for the masses given the news of the breakout back in the December.

We are staying home because of so many closures, e.g, stores, community centers.

It's amazing that federal government is so slow of proving (or deploying) corona-virus tests readily for the masses given the news of the breakout back in the December.

You mean the CDC didn't play perfect hero like I've seen in all the outbreak and contagion movies?

No they didn't. Nothing like the movies. Disappointing.

At least the CDC has let control go and is allowing state and local to do their own testing now using private lab tests. Let's hope the million per day being manufactured are actually efficiently distributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom